Gruul Draft Deck

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last night was my first night drafting Gatecrash and I was looking forward to it. There were about 40 people who showed up to draft. Here's what I pulled:

Red Creatures:

Legion Loyalist
Skinbrand Goblin x2
Scorchwalker
Viashino Shanktail

Green Creatures:

Disciple of the Old Ways
Greenside Watcher
Scab-Clan Charger x2
Slaughterhorn x2

Red Spells:

Madcap Skills x2

Green Spells:
Miming Slime
Burst of Strength

Mutli-Colored Creatures:
Ghor-Clan Rampager x3
Rubblehulk
Skarrg Guildmage

Multi-Colored Spells:
Pit Fight x2
Gruul Charm

Land:
Mountain x9
Forest x8

Notes: I went into the draft thinking I would play Boros because it was my favorite at the prerelease. However, the Gruul cards just kept coming. There were a couple of cards like Mugging that I didn't see. My removal was not idea but it did come up at all the key times. Gruul Charm is an absolute must in this deck. It went 2-1 against flyers on more than one occassion and sealed the game.

On bloodrush. I was lucky to have so many creatures with bloodrush, including having an insane three copies of the Rampager. But I have learned that you just can't bloodrush any old time as you are more often better of casting the second creature over the long term. If you can finish your opponent or get rid of multiple better creatures, then go for it.

On Madcap Skills: Yes this card was as good as advertised at 99% of the plays. I included some otherwise pedestrian 2/1 creatures just to get a body out early in hopes of a Madcap. It was especially good with either the Slaughterhorn or the Disciple of the Old Ways.

I went to game three twice in the tournament but the deck was simply too fast when going off the play.

Best play?

Me: Attack with Scorchwalker
Opponent: Block with random 2/3 creature
Me: Bloodrush Ghor-Clan Rampager
Opponent: blargh.
Second main phase: Cast Miming Slime. Put 9/9 creature on the board.
Opponent: Scoop

Final record: 4-0-1 Drew at the end against a Mill deck that I had heard about all draft. We played for fun afterwards and I beat him five times in a row.
My guess is this deck often got there on the strength of 3x Rampager.  That card is amazing.  I splashed it in my Simic draft deck and whenever I played it, it did serious work (especially if I could get it down Turn 4).

Nice work!
Nice looking deck!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
My guess is this deck often got there on the strength of 3x Rampager.  That card is amazing.

It really does seem that those 3 cards carried it. Otherwise it just seems okay. But, i can't hate on a 4*-0 deck.

*Being it probably would of been 5-0
Thanks, guys. I agree that the Rampager was crucial but I think Madcap was more important. It finished the game more often than Rampager over the course of the night.
Upon closer inspection, you actually had a lot of good stuff (Rampager, Madcap, as well as Double Pit Fight, Charm, Guildmage, etc).  Very very nice job.
Upon closer inspection, you actually had a lot of good stuff (Rampager, Madcap, as well as Double Pit Fight, Charm, Guildmage, etc).  Very very nice job.

Much appreciated.
Sign In to post comments