PC Monster Races?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there a book for 4e that will allow my players to make monstrous PCs like goblins, orcs, lizardmen, or kobolds? We wanted to do a 'other side of the coin' campaign Or do we have to do homebrewed rules based off of the monster manual?
There are PC write-ups for Goblins and Kobolds in Into The Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Handbook. Gnolls and Hobgoblins have both had write-ups in the online Dragon magazine. Minotaurs are in the PHB 3. 

There are monstrous races in the back of the Monster Manual, but I think that they're not designed or balanced for PCs.

You could take also the mechanics of existing PC races and just say that it's a lizardman or orc.
Orcs are also covered in one of those books as well, they are even in the character builder.

A quick gander though the CB, shows the following:

- Bugbear
- Bullwug
- Duergar
- Gnoll
- Goblin
- Hobgoblin
- Kobold
- Orc

Apologies for any "monster" faces I may have left off for not consider them "monster" races.
Orcs are also covered in one of those books as well, they are even in the character builder.

A quick gander though the CB, shows the following:

- Bugbear
- Bullwug
- Duergar
- Gnoll
- Goblin
- Hobgoblin
- Kobold
- Orc

Apologies for any "monster" faces I may have left off for not consider them "monster" races.

Most of those are the versions in the back of the Monster Manuals 1 and 2, provided "to help Dungeon Masters create nonplayer characters", rather than to be used as PC races.
Several of them later got official PC race updates, including the ones I mentioned in my post. Others weren't really that monstrous to begin with, like the Warforged or the Gnome, which also both got updates to full PC races.
There are PC write-ups for Goblins and Kobolds in Into The Unknown: The Dungeon Survival Handbook. Gnolls and Hobgoblins have both had write-ups in the online Dragon magazine. Minotaurs are in the PHB 3. 

There are monstrous races in the back of the Monster Manual, but I think that they're not designed or balanced for PCs.

You could take also the mechanics of existing PC races and just say that it's a lizardman or orc.

Thanks for the info, I read on B&N.com that the book had dungeon tiles, is that true?

i have the Advanced Race Guide for Pathfinder which supports most of those races but we're going to be playing 4e not 3.5, is there an easy way to convert those rules (And possibly save some money lol)? 

No. Not at all  - 3.5 and 4E are entirely different... 4E was a complete rewrite of the rules and very few things are done the same way they were in 3.5.

As a general piece of advice, forget everything you know about 3.5 and learn 4E as an entirely new game from the ground up - never assume that anything (no matter how minor) works just like it did in 2.5

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Even the underlying assumptions about what it means to be a "monstrous" PC are different.

Likewise, the assumed cultural foundations of many of those races have changed (minotaurs being a great example).

Of the back-of-the-MM races, most should work as written, but they'll be underpowered compared to a fully written-up race. The exceptions were the minotaur (which has a proper writeup in the PHB3) and bugbear (which doesn't) because of the Oversized trait.

If there are specific races you want to use, post them here and we can either direct you to their official writeups or possibly to some unofficial (but sane) ones on the forums.
Some places would consider DROW and DOPPELGANGERs to be monsters and they are printed.

As we all know Gnomes ARE monsters
 www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/toon/2...
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
You could also just homebrew any monsters you are missing. Creating a race is pretty easy.
You could just "re-flesh" some existing races, for instance use dragonborn for dragonspawn, half-orcs or goliaths for orcs, Thri-Kreen for ettercaps etc.
pixies make good baby dragons too especially if rolled as a sorcerer or a druid.
Sign In to post comments