Regeneration

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is a dispute between a player and I over the Regenerate ability. I say that activating a regeneration takes it out of combat while he says it doesn't.

For example if we both have 2/2 creatures and he decides to block mine, ordinarily they would both die. He believes that by activating the regeneration ability his creature stays alive while mine is put in the graveyard. 
Your opponent is correct.

All that happens when you activate a regeneration ability is that you create a regeneration "shield" around the creature. That shield means "The next time [the creature] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it, tap it, and remove it from combat". Only when the shield gets used up will the creature be removed from combat.
The other player is correct. Creating a regeneration shield doesn't remove a creature from combat, using up that regeneration shield does. Both creatures will deal 2 damage to the other. The one without a regeneration shield will be destroyed, but the other will live.
Rules Advisor

All that happens when you activate a regeneration ability is that you create a regeneration "shield" around the creature. That shield means "The next time [the creature] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it, tap it, and remove it from combat". Only when the shield gets used up will the creature be removed from combat.

A follow up question on this... Does using regeneration tap a creature, even if tapping is not listed as part of the regeneration cost?  And if so, does that mean that a tapped creature cannot regenerate?

A follow up question on this... Does using regeneration tap a creature, even if tapping is not listed as part of the regeneration cost?  And if so, does that mean that a tapped creature cannot regenerate?

No and no.

All that happens when you activate a regeneration ability is that you create a regeneration "shield" around the creature. That shield means "The next time [the creature] would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage marked on it, tap it, and remove it from combat". Only when the shield gets used up will the creature be removed from combat (if possible) and tapped (if possible).
I say that activating a regeneration takes it out of combat while he says it doesn't.

he is correct
activating the regeneration ability just puts that ability on the stack
then later when that ability resolves it'll put a replacement effect on the creature affected
neither of these will remove the creature from combat

as such they will both deal 2 damage to each other in the combat damage step
then moments later State Based Actions see two creatures with marked damage greater than or equal to their respective toughness and attempts to destroy them.

On your creature, the SBA's succeed and your 2/2 is sent to the graveyard.
On your opponent's creature, the SBA's fail because the replacement effect steps in and changes the destroy action to three other actions:

1. removing it from combat (if it's in combat - it is in this case)

2. tapping it (if it's untapped - you didn't specify)

3. removing all marked damage from it (if any is marked - the 2 damage in this case)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

So, does that mean that the regeneration ability must be activated prior to combat damage step taking place (damage being dealt)? So, if combat damage is dealt, it is then too late to pay the regeneration cost and activate the ability?

1. Attackers declared
2. Can activate regeneration ability
3. Blockers declared
4. Can activate regeneration abilty
5. Combat damage dealt
6. Too late to activate regeneration ability because damage is already dealt and creature is destroyed (or can you activate regeneration then?)

Thank you.

So, does that mean that the regeneration ability must be activated prior to combat damage step taking place (damage being dealt)? So, if combat damage is dealt, it is then too late to pay the regeneration cost and activate the ability?

Yes.  You must activate it before it gets the damage.

1. Attackers declared
2. Can activate regeneration ability
3. Blockers declared
4. Can activate regeneration abilty
5. Combat damage dealt
6. Too late to activate regeneration ability because damage is already dealt and creature is destroyed (or can you activate regeneration then?)

That's correct.  You can't activatt it in step 6, it is too late then.

Great, thank you for the quick response!