copying a changed land

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
island enchanted with Contaminated Ground , player usesThespian's Stage to copy it.......does it become an island or a swamp?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Definitely an island.
island enchanted with Contaminated Ground , player usesThespian's Stage to copy it.......does it become an island or a swamp?

You get an Island with the Thespian's ability.  When you copy something you copy what's printed on the card, plus other copy effects.  Other effects are not copied.
ok, so to clarify if a spell (i can't think of one off the top of my head but im sure it exists) said
"Target land is a swamp", thespians would become a swamp instead?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Whenever one permanent copies another, it copies only what is printed on the original card unless that permanent is itself affected by a copy effect. If a copy effect grants additional abilities, as Thespian's Stage and Lazav, Dimir Mastermind do, those abilities will be copied as well.

If you control an Island enchanted with Contaminated Ground and target it with Thespian's Stage, you'll get a basic Island with the copy ability. If you then have a second Thespian's Stage copy the first Thespian's Stage, you'll get a basic Island with two instances of the copy ability.
Rules Advisor
ok, so to clarify if a spell (i can't think of one off the top of my head but im sure it exists) said
"Target land is a swamp", thespians would become a swamp instead?

To make it clear, Thespians would still become an island. Wether a type changing effect comes from a static ability (Contaminated Bond) or a one shot effect from a spell or ability (Unstable Frontier) doesn't matter, it's not a copying effect so won't be copied.

If Thespians copied a land and is also affected by a spell/ability that changes its land type to swamp, then Thespians would be a swamp. The order in which the copy effect and the type changing effect where created doesn't matter, copy effects are always applied first. If the type changing effect doesn't use the clause "in addition to its other types", Thespians would only be a swamp, no matter what types the copied land had.
Unstable Frontier creates a continuous effect. "One-shot effects" are something different.
Sign In to post comments