DLCR: Basilica Guards

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final GTC card to rate is...

Basilica Guards

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This guys are really solid.  1/4 is a nice defensive body for this set and extort is a really nice mechanic.

Discuss! 
This is another one I'll have to see played out, but 2.5-3.0 sounds like a good starting point.
3.0 just a solid orzhov card.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
3. All I want to do is cast one of these each turn starting turn 3.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Definitely a 3.0
1.0 Boros
3.0 Orzhov
2.5-3.0

I only seem to get these when I'm mana screwed, making the extort irrelevant.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

1.0 Boros
3.0 Orzhov

No.

If Boros Plan A fails, you are very happy to have this guys to hold the house and limit damages until you refill with cheap creatures. 

3.  Several of these guys make me happy.  The 4 toughness is really great for Orzhov, but a hard-to-kill battalion enabler and lifelink-ish isn't bad for Boros, either.  If is my third color, this is still fine, 3 CMC seems like it's the right spot to begin splashes.
1.0 Boros
3.0 Orzhov

No.

If Boros Plan A fails, you are very happy to have this guys to hold the house and limit damages until you refill with cheap creatures. 

And considering that most of Boros' game plan is cheap creature en masse, the extort actually makes those late game usually dead draws into something a bit more useful.

That said, it is slightly more relevant in Orzhov.  I'd say 3.0 in Orzy, and 2.5 in Boros.  You want as many as you can possibly get in Orzhov, but Boros would probably like another Halbierders or the like over these.  I'd still include them if I had them most of the time, but if I were to get an exceptionally strong Boros pool (Which happened to one guy in our pod last FNM, where he was the only Boros player at the table), I can see considering cutting them. 
3.  Several of these guys make me happy.  The 4 toughness is really great for Orzhov, but a hard-to-kill battalion enabler and lifelink-ish isn't bad for Boros, either.  If is my third color, this is still fine, 3 CMC seems like it's the right spot to begin splashes.

Battalion enabler?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

No, that's probably why they gave it defender. It would be too good as a Battalion enabler/pinger for Boros if it didn't have defender.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Right.  New set misremembering the card.