Undying with Animate Dead and Unhallowed Pact

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am in the process of building a deck that makes all players sacrifice lots of creatures. I am planning on using Geralf's Messenger as one of my main creatures. I will use Animate Deads, Unhallowed Pacts and Grave Purge to cycle my creatures back into play. I can also use the Animate Dead and Unhallowed Pact on my opponent's creatures. I just want to make sure that I understand how the cards will work together.

Question 1 - when I use Animate Dead on undying creature, when it comes into play it has -1/-0. When it dies again does the -1/-0 cancel out the +1/+1 counter and come back into play again a second time when it dies with a +0/+1 counter and a +1/+1 counter?

Second Question - when I an undying creature dies with a +1/+1 counter with Unhallowed Pact, does it come back into play with no counter?

Thanks
1. it comes back with a +1/+1 counter
the -1/0 is not a counter, much less a -1/-1 counter (only -1/-1 and +1/+1 annihilate each other, no other counters do that)

2. Unhallowed Pact doesn't mention a counter, so it comes back without a counter
proud member of the 2011 community team
1. it comes back with a +1/+1 counter
the -1/0 is not a counter, much less a -1/-1 counter (only -1/-1 and +1/+1 annihilate each other, no other counters do that)

2. Unhallowed Pact doesn't mention a counter, so it comes back without a counter

That was the way I understood it as well but just had to make sure.
All rules questions belong in Rules Q&A.

Moving to Rules Q&A. 

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert