Opinions on this draft deck

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I went to a midnight draft deck last night and went 3-0 with no game losses. I didn't think my deck was that great and was surprised by how well I did. I'm still not sure if the deck is good or not and wanted some opinions. 

I'm not sure how to rate how good the deck is since it was my first GC draft deck and have nothing to compare it to. Would you say the deck is above average, average, or below average?    

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

This deck has a lot of really solid cards. What hurts it the most is the need for green (I assume you had nothing else in W/R which forced you to run some green). There are ~18 really good spells for a boros deck in here, and then you have Crackling Perimeter (I have no idea how good this card is - it's worth trying with four gates, I guess), Greenside Watcher (a two-drop in your "splash" color), Ruination Wurm (massive 7 mana in an otherwise pretty fast deck) and Signal the Clans (I really dislike this card but you do have both Raiders, Guildmage and a Paladin, so it's not the all-time worst I guess).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
This deck has a lot of really solid cards. What hurts it the most is the need for green (I assume you had nothing else in W/R which forced you to run some green). There are ~18 really good spells for a boros deck in here, and then you have Crackling Perimeter (I have no idea how good this card is - it's worth trying with four gates, I guess), Greenside Watcher (a two-drop in your "splash" color), Ruination Wurm (massive 7 mana in an otherwise pretty fast deck) and Signal the Clans (I really dislike this card but you do have both Raiders, Guildmage and a Paladin, so it's not the all-time worst I guess).

I thought the wurm was only 6...not that big a problem.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I was a little bit light on playables which is why I had the few green spells. Didn't really see much of them during my games, so they weren't too detrimental. I felt like trying out Crackling Perimeter since it seemed possibly good depending on the number of gates. It worked well the one game I used in it. It came out like turn 6 and basically Shocked my opponent to death. Wurm was super questionable, but I really didn't have any thing else to play. I really liked Signal the Clans at the prerelease (I played Gruul). It's a lot worse in draft and in boros. I really need to work on realizing what the guy on the right of me is doing. He was in gruul splashing white.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Yeah the Wurm is 6, sorry. That makes it less bad but still not optimal.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I got a chance to experiment the Crackling Perimeter.

If you have 4+ gates, I think it's worth including it, as you'll most often have at least 1 in play. It's at least a lobber crew effect that noone wants to spend a removal on. It is better than it seems. 
Sign In to post comments