4 [RTR] Blood Crypt
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
3 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
4 [RTR] Overgrown Tomb

// Creatures (28)
4 [ISD] Diregraf Ghoul
4 [DKA] Gravecrawler
4 [RTR] Slitherhead
4 [AVR] Crypt Creeper // 4 [DKA] Highborn Ghoul // 4 [GTC] Wight of Precinct Six  (dependent on meta)
4 [RTR] Lotleth Troll
4 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
4 [RTR] Dreg Mangler

// Spells (9)
3 [GTC] Domri Rade
4 [AVR] Descendants' Path
2 [DKA] Gravepurge

So, I decided to revisit Mathias' idea from a while back, and it became more appealing with LolTroll and the Scavenge mechanic. With that said, the two decks differ a little in how they play out. This deck uses Path strictly as a CA engine. I tried getting techy originally (with Ghoultree/Jarad), but it just felt wrong and led to a lot of dead draws.

Rade is the second CA engine, and also gives the deck some form of interaction with the opponent. Fighting with Messenger and Mangler is nice.  Not to mention that you have around a 50% chance to draw a card with this guy. I doubt Rade will ever see his ultimate, which isn't a big deal.

Gravepurge is the only techy card in the build, and is designed to give you a ton of resilience in the late game. With Domri and Path on the board, you can end up drawing three cards for a couple of turns. That said, I'm not entirely sure it's worth the spots. It could just end up as removal.

Very rough draft, just going on theorycraft atm. Numbers have not been tuned.

Thoughts? 

Team PMP - Practice Makes Perfect

Team GFG - Good F***ing Game

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Use faith in the absence of science, not in its stead.

You're running red, there is truely no reason not to add Aristocrat. Plus she'll top your curve nicely and give you some "reach" late game, besides indestructable fight is pretty cool i hear. I'd also add burn as well. Maybe some skullcracks and pillars or something.

I don't like gravepurge. It adds some resillience? Zombies are already crazy resillient. I don't think it's at all needed.

Descendants path.. eh. There are just other things I'd rather do with three mana than slowly maybe put 1/2 creatures on the board which could have probably been cast for just as much. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

It looks interesting. I'm not sure if it's better than R/B zombies though. It's basically a tradeoff between possible card advantage (domri blade + descendant's path) vs sources of damage (falkenrath aristocrat/hellrider/thundermaw hellkite). I think I'm on the side of damage. I'm also sad whenever somebody plays slitherhead.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

You're running red, there is truely no reason not to add Aristocrat. Plus she'll top your curve nicely and give you some "reach" late game, besides indestructable fight is pretty cool i hear. I'd also add burn as well. Maybe some skullcracks and pillars or something.

I don't like gravepurge. It adds some resillience? Zombies are already crazy resillient. I don't think it's at all needed.

Descendants path.. eh. There are just other things I'd rather do with three mana than slowly maybe put 1/2 creatures on the board which could have probably been cast for just as much. 

I'm not all-in on adding more Red cards, as it makes the manabase worse and worse. I'm running Red, but I'm barely running it, which allows me to dedicate five slots to Red-producing sources. Gatecrash brought us the tools to do it, but I'm not so fond of three/more-color Aggro decks. You can't miss on your early game due to mana glitches.

Ya, I'm not seeing results from Gravepurge. It's likely to be taken out for removal.

You're looking at Path the wrong way. It's not about cheating the mana, it's about card advantage.

@kennedy: Fair enough. It's a matter of preference really, but the R/B build doesn't seem to be putting up results because midrange can just 3-for-1 you with Thragtusks all day.

Disclaimer: This member may or may not be associated with Team GFG in any other regard besides his admiration of its members.

Playing Domri, and not playing Bloodrush spells? That just feels wrong.

The deck seems okay, I'm not sure about Descendants path simply because there are a lot of cards that just aren't worth hitting with it imo. But the whole "free creature or put it on the bottom" seems nice, so long as you don't want to actually get something specfic.

(at)MrEnglish22

I like the idea here, but even with all of the facilitation, hardcasting Geralf's Messenger seems troublesome. I also think Diregraf Ghoul is a bit low-impact out of curving situations, but would be better off as removal or business (a'la Searing Spear, Charms or Mizzium Mortars/Ultimate Price. In addition, Crypt Creeper seems like a solid sideboard card since it's a spell stapled to a critter.

Similarly, I like the trickiness in playing Black Cat and Ghoultree in this sort of deck to switch into something less in the hyper aggro range.

I love the Purge, but as a 1 or 2 of for an explosion of sorts.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I want the Zombie Lord from Onslaught block back.

(at)MrEnglish22

Playing Domri, and not playing Bloodrush spells? That just feels wrong.

The deck seems okay, I'm not sure about Descendants path simply because there are a lot of cards that just aren't worth hitting with it imo. But the whole "free creature or put it on the bottom" seems nice, so long as you don't want to actually get something specfic.

Ya, I'll have to look into what Bloodrush spells are there, but chances are that it won't be worth it to reach outside of the tribal theme.

Again, on Path, it's more about being a CA engine and less about sneaking a huge creature into play. I just don't think many builds have utilized it in this way. The ability is really nice for ensuring you hit gas in the late-game. If you hit a creature, that's great. If not, you just guaranteed yourself another shot at hitting something relevant.

@Wynzerman: Messenger isn't an issue because all of your lands produce Black. Ghoul is def. not a great late-game hit, but you need eight one-drops to remain a threat in the early game. You don't want give up too much from a mainstream Zombie build. This deck trades traditional Zombies' burn for two CA engines.

@Wynzerman: Messenger isn't an issue because all of your lands produce Black. Ghoul is def. not a great late-game hit, but you need eight one-drops to remain a threat in the early game. You don't want give up too much from a mainstream Zombie build. This deck trades traditional Zombies' burn for two CA engines.

Fair, but it doesn't make very much sense to add sources of CA to a Sligh deck, while in a bigger aggro deck or midrange deck, there is an obvious necessity. When you're stuffing one drops into a deck so that they curve into a lethal force, it seems silly to ever consider sources of CA at all, because you don't want the game to go long enough to have a contingency plan in the first place.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

When you're stuffing one drops into a deck so that they curve into a lethal force, it seems silly to ever consider sources of CA at all, because you don't want the game to go long enough to have a contingency plan in the first place.

Pretty much this. If they board wipe you're going to be twiddling your thumbs with domri and DA. While twiddling on domri isn't bad, twiddling on DA is. You have to accept that once they're stabilizing, your creatures probably won't get through. This is where reach needs to find a spot. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Fair, but it doesn't make very much sense to add sources of CA to a Sligh deck, while in a bigger aggro deck or midrange deck, there is an obvious necessity. When you're stuffing one drops into a deck so that they curve into a lethal force, it seems silly to ever consider sources of CA at all, because you don't want the game to go long enough to have a contingency plan in the first place.

This would be ideal, but in a format with so much life gain tacked onto separate cards, I'm not sure you can't have a contigency plan. The problem that I'm currently seeing is that Aggro decks are fizzling because they don't have enough gas to end the game/come back from Thragtusk(s) hitting the board. Burn has a chance at doing this, but it usually doesn't help because your one burn spell doesn't match what Tusk undid (outside of Brimstone Volley and Thunderous Wrath). Even then, they still have a 5/3, which turns into a 3/3 later on.

By keeping up with midrange, in terms of CA, I feel like Aggro might stand a chance. I understand what you guys are saying about the reach aspect, but honestly, the reach isn't the quality of the life gain in this format. In a traditional format, I would be all for clearing the way and doming them with burn, but when they can drop one card that requires three burn spells to answer, I think you have to change up your strategy.

@Tierdrop: As long as you don't overextend, Path isn't bad. I usually hold back a Ghoul, just in case I see a sweeper (in the case that Messenger isn't on the board). That allows you to bring back Gravecrawlers and makes Path active again. 

Sign In to post comments