Bolas' Elite

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bolas' Horde   6BB
Creature- Zombie Warrior
Lifelink
Bolas' Horde can't block.
Whenever _ attacks, put two -1/-1 counters on it. 
8/8  

Bolas' Ironclaw  RB
Creature- Goblin Zombie
Haste
Whenever_ attacks, put a -1/-1 counter on it.
4/4       

Bolas' Rotspy  3UB  
Creature- Vedalken Zombie
Whenever_ attacks, put a -1/-1 counter on it.
Whenever _ damages a player, draw a card.
5/5

These don't feel very Nicol Bolasish. Why would he use a bunch of zombies, all of which apparently break down over time? That really doesn't seem to be his style at all.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
These don't feel very Nicol Bolasish. Why would he use a bunch of zombies, all of which apparently break down over time? That really doesn't seem to be his style at all.

I would argue that it's because of their raw power. Craftiness has a time and a place. How is Thraximundar Bolas' style, for example? Bolas is Red just as much as he's blue...

I would argue that it's because of their raw power. Craftiness has a time and a place. How is Thraximundar Bolas' style, for example? Bolas is Red just as much as he's blue...

Also, the fact that they die after they've killed is actually quite convenient for him.

Also, the fact that they die after they've killed is actually quite convenient for him.

At any rate, the Bolasness of the cards is not integral and could be removed. I find the mechanic pretty sweet: a keyword but for the fact that it's a drawback and they don't do those any more.
But the elegance of keywording it.... me and my friends call "attacks each turn if able" frenzied. Which is more elegant...

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste
Attacks each turn if able.
3/1

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste, Frenzied
3/1

Then again, I still read Wrath of God as bury each creature, so yeah...
But the elegance of keywording it.... me and my friends call "attacks each turn if able" frenzied. Which is more elegant...

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste
3/1

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste, Frenzied
3/1

Actually, I do that too. Anyway, they break their own rules all the time, so it''s not that big a deal. Up until recently, hard counters had to have UU in the cost. Now they don't. It's not unfeasible that this could be keyworded. After all... Defender.
that first one isn't worth it at all

it's cmc 8 for what's effectively a one-turn 6/6 lifelink --- **** that! -- and if you're lucky it'll be a 4/4 lifelink next turn.. yay?
if i'm paying 8 mana, i'm getting something WAY better out of it

it's cmc 8 for what's effectively a one-turn 6/6 lifelink --- **** that! -- and if you're lucky it'll be a 4/4 lifelink next turn.. yay?

Not all cards are worth it. Axebane Stag, for example, is worse than several cards printed even years before. Anyway, Bolas' Horde isn't outstanding, but at low rarities expensive creatures seldom are. What is it you kids say nowadays? GiLBiC or something?
You know you can edit your posts to add content by hitting the edit button, right?
You know you can edit your posts to add content by hitting the edit button, right?

What should I edit? Or is it just something you've observed that I should start doing? Were you even talking to me?              

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste
3/1

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste, Frenzied
3/1

Making it a keyword doesn't inherently make it more elegant. If it did, banding's a lot more elegant than I give it credit for.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

What should I edit? Or is it just something you've observed that I should start doing? Were you even talking to me?              

Well there is that time you quoted yourself 3 times in a row, to do nothing that couldn't have been accomplished with simple edits.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste
3/1

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste, Frenzied
3/1

Making it a keyword doesn't inherently make it more elegant. If it did, banding's a lot more elegant than I give it credit for.

banding was (it just didn't need the bands with every defender claus)

This mechanic only appeals to Spike and I'm not sure even Spikey players would like playing with it
Combat damage a creature deals is distributed by the creature's controller among creatures opposing it.
rule change
A trampling creature may assign its damage to a single blocker.

During combat,
a creature with banding may band with other creatures with banding and 1 creature without banding.
Those creatures attack and block as a single creature. If one is blockable, all are blockable.
If a creature with banding is opposed , the banding creature's controller determines
how the opposing creatures combat damage is distributed among the banded creatures.
This mechanic only appeals to Spike and I'm not sure even Spikey players would like playing with it

- It appeals more to Johnny than most keywords, since you can remove the -1/-1 counters with loads of different cards, especially if such enablers are found within the same set.

- It appeals to Timmy more than you might think. Big creatures are cool, especially when they're cheap. This could give rise to a very balanced 3/3 for one mana, or a fairly balanced 5/5 for two.

I don't see why people won't enjoy playing with it, given that the creatures start out a decent bit larger than normal. When they get small, use them as defenders.

Well there is that time you quoted yourself 3 times in a row, to do nothing that couldn't have been accomplished with simple edits.

No need for that attitude, if I may say so. Point taken, however; you have removed my confusion.

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste
3/1

Stupid Goblin
Creature - Goblin
Haste, Frenzied
3/1

Keywording a commonly used ability does though. It would be like saying "This creature deals combat damage in a special phase before the damage phase." First Strike is much more elegant.

Banding was just terrible. It worked so strangely.
Trample has always been weak

Or it's an 8/8 defender with lifelink for 8.
It's only when it attacks that it degrades.

That said, I do agree it's overcosted, but not as terribly so. I think the second one is best.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.

Or it's an 8/8 defender with lifelink for 8.
It's only when it attacks that it degrades.

That said, I do agree it's overcosted, but not as terribly so. I think the second one is best.

It's deliberately overcosted. I suppose it could cost 7, but I'd rather it didn't. You're correct in saying that the second one is probably the best; it's the only one I put significant power into. Just as the first could cost seven, equally the fourth could cost one less or else be a 6/6.
Keywording a commonly used ability does though. It would be like saying "This creature deals combat damage in a special phase before the damage phase." First Strike is much more elegant.

Banding was just terrible. It worked so strangely.

Well, the original reason (as I understand it) is that banding, flying, and first strike are self-referential in the rules. After that, Richard Garfield just realized a lot of other abilities would work better as keywords. And thus, Alpha's rules were born.

Banding had the additional problem of counterintuitive interactions (say, something with first strike and trample banded to something with neither, or simply how my White Knight can't ride his horsey up into the sky), and wasn't really relevant to the game.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt