Cheaters and Problems with way this is dealt with.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm interested if anyone else has had similar experiences and frustrations with the current systems in place from wotc to deal with cheating/misconduct and ultimately how they then deal with the player who has been screwed.

I played in the mocs pre-lims (first time I have managed to get 15 points), in the final round I was at 3-2 and  the match score was 1-1. My clock was running low (I was playing manaless dredge), in my opponents final turns he was stalling for time, taking extra long to make simple decisions, he played a liliana and made me sacrifice while I had multiple creatures on the board despite the fact that having one less creature would not make him stay alive when I attacked. On my turn he again stalled on all of my upkeep triggers (I had 25 seconds on my clock), then after 2 minutes I received a random trade request and chat requests (from someone I suspect to be an accomplice of my opponent), simultaneously my opponent passed priority but by the time I had cancelled the trade my clock had run out and I lost. 

I have been attempting to do something with wotc customer services having notified them through the code of conduct link and (after being advised by the conduct team to do so) I entered a reimbursement request. After 7 emails between departments I have been offered nothing except to be told 'take care and happy gaming'.
The current policy states that " When the reimbursement is digital objects, the reimbursement will match the event entry option less any prizes won in the event." and "If prizes are awarded for a particular event, those prizes are considered final unless they are inconsistent with the announced prizes for that event. Wizards of the Coast reserves the right to modify any incorrect prizes awarded by the system." 

Can it really be correct that if you get screwed in the mocs, Wotc are happy to do nothing??? This seems crazy that because I'm playing in the 'premier event' of mtgo, wotc are satisfied to do less than they would if I had paid to enter the event (not even counting the stupid number of events I did pay to enter to actually qualify).

I appreciate I have written a-lot and I am clearly frustrated and emotional but all feelings and prizes etc aside I find it very hard to believe that this is right.

Update - Sat 2/2 I have recieved a further email from the reimbursement team and they have sent me a rtr draft set as a goodwill gesture. While this is not quite the equivalent of a fow it is very much apprecaited by myself and I am pleased that wotc have seen that their policies are not always 100% correct. 
Hopefully Wizards pointed out the methods of blocking chat and trade requests.  You'll find the options in the Personal Settings area, there are a couple checkboxes.

There is no doubt the trade spamming is cheating.  The problem is how to determine if that caused you to lose the match or poor clock management caused it.  Both were contributing factors.  Another issue is at what point does good clock management (which is what forcing your opponent to pay attention to their clock is called when it isn't cheating) turn into stalling?  Time limited matches mean the clock must be managed.

Good luck in your next match.

This space intentionally left blank.

I had a guy go AFK when he started losing today. I think he was expecting me to concede just so I could leave, but he underestimated how petty, immature and vindictive I am. I fully intended to tab out and read Ars Technica for the last 8 minutes. After waiting a while I got impatient and asked in one of the chat rooms if it was against the rules. Someone gave me a link to report him and the dude immediately conceded. Apparently he was watching chat.
I have played against dredge in classic and the match takes a good 5 minutes, not sure if legacy is much different.  To me it looks like you were possibly playing in multiple events at once?  If so, to me that is the real crime here.  I do agree with you that the trade request spams were pretty weak. Does WoTC keep chat logs of every PM, I doubt it.  There is nothing wrong with him playing out his turn to the fullest.

he played a liliana and made me sacrifice while I had multiple creatures on the board despite the fact that having one less creature would not make him stay alive when I attacked. On my turn he again stalled on all of my upkeep triggers (I had 25 seconds on my clock)

The chess clock is part of the game, you have to deal with it. 
I have played against dredge in classic and the match takes a good 5 minutes, not sure if legacy is much different.  To me it looks like you were possibly playing in multiple events at once?  If so, to me that is the real crime here.  I do agree with you that the trade request spams were pretty weak. Does WoTC keep chat logs of every PM, I doubt it.  There is nothing wrong with him playing out his turn to the fullest.

he played a liliana and made me sacrifice while I had multiple creatures on the board despite the fact that having one less creature would not make him stay alive when I attacked. On my turn he again stalled on all of my upkeep triggers (I had 25 seconds on my clock)

The chess clock is part of the game, you have to deal with it. 

The trade & pm spam, however, is very much crossing the line

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Thankyou for everyone's replies and support.
In answer to the questions - 
I wasn't playing in multiple events but I am quite new to legacy and manaless dredge, due to teh nature of the deck it does involve numerous triggers and decisions which I am happy to admit ran my clock down. I would have no problem if I'd timed out with the win on the board if I had done it through my own fault however my opponents actions were clearly designed to use what little clock I had left  - hence why I incuded the example about his actions with liliana. I should also point out that when he played and activited liliana he had no other cards in hand so his actions there can only be to run my clock and not part of a 'plan'.

On whether I could have won with 20 seconds on my clock - during my upkeep I had f6'd so that once my manditory triggers had resolved I would go straight to declaring attackers and once they were declared I would go straight to the combat damage step. The manditory triggers were not using multiple ichorids.

I have also updated the original post as Wotc have sent my a draft set as a goodwill gesture!
Playing and activating Liliana "only be to run my clock and not part of a 'plan'" is not cheating and will never be cheating. Anything to do with Liliana is irrelevant. You lost because you didn't manage your clock.
Thankyou for everyone's replies and support.
In answer to the questions - 
I should also point out that when he played and activited liliana he had no other cards in hand so his actions there can only be to run my clock and not part of a 'plan'

I have also updated the original post as Wotc have sent my a draft set as a goodwill gesture!

It sounds like a perfect plan to me.

I would consider yourself very lucky for getting those packs, they certainly didnt owe them to you.
What about the guy who had to sit there and wait for you to go slowly and use up your clock?  I've seen several times where I have only used up a few minutes of my clock in a match but my opponent is close to timing out.  Then they complain if I start to take more than a second on anything.  If they would of hurried up they would not be up against the clock.  Also if they had hurried up I would not have had to wait an extra half an hour for them to do whatever they want to do.

I do agree that sending the message and trade request is way over the line. 

Though making your opponent, and possible the rest of the people in the event, wait all that time then complain about them starting to play slow is funny.  You had been playing slow the entire time then complain when the other person starts taking a little time.
On my turn he again stalled on all of my upkeep triggers (I had 25 seconds on my clock), then after 2 minutes I received a random trade request and chat requests (from someone I suspect to be an accomplice of my opponent), simultaneously my opponent passed priority but by the time I had cancelled the trade my clock had run out and I lost.

You should report the individual that traded you and mention the user ID of your opponent to WotC customer service. You should also mention whether or not you were in a room where trading is allowed (or if you had a post in the Classifieds). If the trade was indeed malicious behavior (and can be derived in an investigation), it is possible that the account owner will be punished (which they should be). Please report them to help keep our community clean

(And as others mentioned, any clock management issues are your fault, but there are some provisions against abusing the clock in the CoC, IIRC.)