Think before you leave!

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all!

This is less of a rant and more of a request.

I play on the PS3 and nearly every game ive played (ffa, pc, thg etc) if it looks like somebody else has the upper hand, an opponant has just left.
As you can imagine, this is pretty annoying playing 1v1 with somebody, but it just riles me up!

Some of the most fun and exciting games ive experienced playing this is when I (or an opponant) bounces back from 2-5hp and totally kicks your booty!
When you leave, you not only ruin your opponants game, you rob yourself of the experience of doing that, of being able to brag "Heck yeah, 2hp left and I totally owned him/her!"

So please, even if it looks dire, dont leave! Just enjoy the game, watch your opponant, see what they do, watch what cards they play and, if you're lucky, they may even screw up and give you an opening to unleash heck on em and win!

Is there a punishment system in place for people that leave mid-game? Like it affects their score/ranking/standing?

There is not.

And yes, moreso than 1vs1 I can see how this would be really annoying to deal with.
If you can't stick it out in a FFA/2HG/Planechase game,

DON'T FREAKIN' START ONE.

Simple.
I never used to quit... Ever. But then I started to notice opponents **** me around and keeping me alive just to insult me. I started quitting after that.

The worst was a MM mirror recently where I stuck it out, even though his Charnelhoard Wurm was recurring his Vindicate every turn to wreck my land. When I was on two life he repeatedly swung and withdrew the Wurm from combat to taunt and passed the turn over to me. He was promptly blocked.

Sorry to ruin it for you, but most random opponents are jerks
Is there a punishment system in place for people that leave mid-game? Like it affects their score/ranking/standing?

It's supposed to count as a loss and affect your rank appropriately. Unfortunately, it doesn't on PS3. I wouldn't be surprised if this resulted in more quits than we should otherwise see. Also there is no unranked game mode on PS3. So, no rank deduction for quitting + no unranked mode for more casual play = all the people who care about nothing but their rank quitting anything that isn't a perfect match in their favor.

Hopefully 2014 fixes the quiting rank loss issue and implements a proper concede option that returns you to the lobby rather than the main menu.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Meh, if I'm sitting there and drawing no lands, while the screen is swarming with my opponent's creatures, I concede.  If you have a problem with that, enable 'AI Takeover' box, and beat on AI, while I move on to another game.
Meh, if I'm sitting there and drawing no lands, while the screen is swarming with my opponent's creatures, I concede.  If you have a problem with that, enable 'AI Takeover' box, and beat on AI, while I move on to another game.

Totally agree, except that it's really not a concede, its a quit and it takes you (and the opponent eventually) back to the stupid broken match searching area. That's probably my main frustration. Also, I find it helps if the opponent is a bit courteous and says, good game, I'm going to concede now. Otherwise they just disappear.

So, Stainless needs to fix that. It would make the game much better. Nothing that hasn't been discussed here many times. 
How ridiculous can people be?

Duels is a quick pickup game for many (most?) people.  We don't sit around playing it for 4 hours at a time, sometimes you just want to have a few quick matches.

If one of those matches is a situation where I have functionally zero chance to win (landlocked for several turns, landlocked and Vindicated by MM, whatever) then I am going to concede.

Frankly I don't care at all that this doesn't count as a loss.  It should, but it's not my fault that Stainless should have patched the game months ago and haven't.  It's not my fault that WOTC has decided it's not important enough to fix.

And bottom line, it's only going to be important to someone else if they care about ranking.  Considering the leaderboards are flooded with blatant cheaters, why would anyone care about ranking anymore?
Poking at me there droneon?
:-p

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

But are they conceding.........

....or RAGE QUITTING?? 
How ridiculous can people be?

Duels is a quick pickup game for many (most?) people.  We don't sit around playing it for 4 hours at a time, sometimes you just want to have a few quick matches.

If one of those matches is a situation where I have functionally zero chance to win (landlocked for several turns, landlocked and Vindicated by MM, whatever) then I am going to concede.

But you don't go into a FFA or Planechase (2HG notsosure) if you want a quick game. That's my point above.
You KNOW it's going to be a long game when you start. The longer it goes, the better chance you have to come back from whatever dismal state you're in. If someone offs you, who cares?

If you're dying in a 1vs 1 you're waiting to die. If you're dying in a 4 player game you should be biding your time while you're alive. Unless everyones out to kill you specifically, you should always have a chance to come back.

And bottom line, it's only going to be important to someone else if they care about ranking.  Considering the leaderboards are flooded with blatant cheaters, why would anyone care about ranking anymore?

DotP Ranking has never meant anything.
If people enjoy it and pursue it, so be it. But until there is some sort of unlockable or trophy/achievement attached, they shouldn't delude themselves into thinking it's meaningful in any meaningful way.

DotP Ranking has never meant anything.
If people enjoy it and pursue it, so be it. But until there is some sort of unlockable or trophy/achievement attached, they shouldn't delude themselves into thinking it's meaningful in any meaningful way.

Are you sure that deep down in your sub-cockle region you really wouldn't like to see your name above Richard Garfield's?

Liang.... testify.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Yeah, no doubt devil. But Richard Garfield only plays duels for a couple hours a day, I wonder what his win % is? I have had Richard concede from a game he played against me so my theory is this: of he doesn't think its rude then it isn't. Magic is a game, and not to be taken too seriously. If you find yourself getting upset a lot while playing duels then its probably a personal problem, and no fault of anyone else.. lighten up.
I quit games all the time, and so does everyone else, from the best players to the worst. I rarely play a game of 2 HG where all 4 players are around for the end screen. Such is the way, accept it and you'll enjoy playing a lot more.
The Richard_Garfield on PSN isn't actually Richard Garfield.  There's just no way.  That person always conveniently had the highest score that wasn't "obviously" rigged (ie 65,000 points).

Has someone from WOTC positively confirmed that's him?  Because if so... he's actually pretty terrible and always concedes if he's not winning by turn 2.
Poking at me there droneon? :-p

It took me a minute to remember what this was in reference to...

Vindicating one of my only two lands was the play, I can't dispute that.  It's what I would have done.  Having 1 land on turn 6 is a pretty safe bet I'll concede, though!

Honestly, I don't see why people care so much about the other conceding. It happens in paper magic too. You know what is in your deck and your likelyhood  of coming back to win the game. I suppose the only problem I have when my opponent concedes is that I have to play the stupid AI afterwards. In previous Duels host had the option to turn off AI takeover which I liked much more. If my opponent concedes let me get on with things too!
The Richard Garfield is the actual Richard Garfield. I know this.
When the menu in dotp comes up, it says do you want to CONCEDE because it assumes you are conceding victory.. If when someone concedes you think they're being a scared little b**** then maybe you should look at the lenses through which you view the world.
The Richard Garfield is the actual Richard Garfield. I know this. .

This isn't a matter of national security, if you have a source please give it, otherwise I have a very hard time believing the real Richard Garfield would be so bad at his own game (and would concede every single time I play him if things aren't going his way on turn 2).

Honestly, I don't see why people care so much about the other conceding. It happens in paper magic too. You know what is in your deck and your likelyhood  of coming back to win the game. I suppose the only problem I have when my opponent concedes is that I have to play the stupid AI afterwards. In previous Duels host had the option to turn off AI takeover which I liked much more. If my opponent concedes let me get on with things too!

If they have the AI takeover you can just quit the game.
They left and you get point no matter if you finish the duel or not.
At least on PS3

Show

I have zero problems with people conceding.
But the OP presents a valid point. You should know going in that FFA/Planechase is going to be a long-ass game.
You're also less likely to lose if you only have 1 land on turn 6 than in 1vs1.

I wouldn't concede in a 4 player game for the same reasons I would in a 2 player game.

I've only conceded twice in my 6 weeks of playing. One was because my opponent was prolonging my death (rather cruel IMO) and the other was a MM mirror where he vindicated a few of my lands leaving me with nothing to start with.

in most cases I think it's honorable to go down fighting and give my opponent the satisfaction of winning; even if I had nothing. It's what I would want so I try too play this way. 
I've only conceded twice in my 6 weeks of playing. One was because my opponent was prolonging my death (rather cruel IMO) and the other was a MM mirror where he vindicated a few of my lands leaving me with nothing to start with.

in most cases I think it's honorable to go down fighting and give my opponent the satisfaction of winning; even if I had nothing. It's what I would want so I try too play this way. 

If you concede, your opponent wins.  That should be satisfaction enough.

I wish more people would concede when they have no chance of winning, frankly.  If I put Time Warp on the Mirror, I would much rather someone quit than spend several turns beating them down.

"Honor" isn't really a part of the wizard poker experience to me.  Well, aside from being honorable enough to not exploit bugs, obviously.

But yeah nobody should be quitting out of 3-4 player games early.

people online always leave when they are about to lose man.  Just try and land an ultra on someone in streetfighter, game goes into slow motion and would be over in 3seconds anyway but people will leave the game at that exact moment.

If only they where as quick with there blocks as they are with the exit game combos....

A common thing I see is people will play the zerg rush style factions in rts and if they can't beat you real fast they will just leave and try and beat the next dude fast..Its all about how many wins you can get per hour or something if you wanna scorboard race!! epic hour long comebacks don't help mai 1337 RANK!!

In the end it doesn't matter even if some scoreboard doesn't say you won you still won though!!

This isn't a matter of national security, if you have a source please give it, otherwise I have a very hard time believing the real Richard Garfield would be so bad at his own game (and would concede every single time I play him if things aren't going his way on turn 2).

And what would your source be that someone actually rage quits on turn 2, other than said source being yourself?

I find it hard to believe someone would quit on turn 2, unless he drew absolutely zero lands in the starting hand and forgot to mulligan. Exaggerate much?
I get too annoyed at opponents playing their entire hand when all they have to do is swing in to win. I rarely finish out matches. It annoys the sh*t out of me to lose like that to complete idiots.

And what would your source be that someone actually rage quits on turn 2, other than said source being yourself?

I find it hard to believe someone would quit on turn 2, unless he drew absolutely zero lands in the starting hand and forgot to mulligan. Exaggerate much?

Could be hyperbole, could be completely untrue. But what does that have to do with evidence that the person with playing under the name Richard Garfield is actually the guy that created Magic: The Gathering?

If I could only have evidence provided to back up one of those claims, it would be the one that's actually worth backing up.
So yeah, I'm curious as well, how does whoever knows for a fact that it's actually Richard Garfield know for a fact that it's actually Richard Garfield?