Custom keyword inquiry

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, now that the first set of Cetibus (Isolation) is done and released, I'm working on set 2 (Ethereal Warfare). I'm coming up with mechanics for it, and I thought of this really flavorful keyword...I'm just not sure how balanced it is at all.

So the flavor is that a fire society has merged with a tribal jungle society (so red/green). The mechanic represents the combined importance of aggression and tribal community.

Fury N--COST (COST, : Put N 1/1 red Elemental creature token(s) onto the battlefield. It has/they have haste and ", sacrifice this creature: This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player.")

Is it balanced? Useful? Pointless? If it's OP, should the tokens be sacc'd at end of turn?

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

This is super broken to be a keyword. It is also awfully complicated. Why do the tokens need to tap? Why do you need the ability to make many tokens? Why do they even sacrifice to deal damage? Finally, if this is used in green, haste is bleeding a lot and sacrificing to deal damage is definitely breaking the color pie.

For perspective on how powerful this is, check out these cards' mana costs, requirements and activation costs:

Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree, Thraben Doomsayer, Throne of Empires, Myr Turbine, Jund Battlemage, Rhys the Redeemed, Sarpadian Empires, Vol. VII, Orochi Eggwatcher only put one 1/1 token without abilities.
Bloodline Keeper, Summoning Station, Master of the Wild Hunt make 2/2's. Imperious Perfect, too, but they revert to 1/1 if she leaves.
Rakka Mar makes 3-power creatures with haste, but they can't be sacrificed to deal damage like yours.
The big majority are rare, by the way.

Also, your keyword makes the card do a lot. How do you make a card distinct from another if both can be tapped and pay to make many tokens that sacrifice for damage? What abilities can you put with this? What cards can be boring, simple, bad or, you know, common with this?
This is super broken to be a keyword. It is also awfully complicated. Why do the tokens need to tap? Why do you need the ability to make many tokens? Why do they even sacrifice to deal damage? Finally, if this is used in green, haste is bleeding a lot and sacrificing to deal damage is definitely breaking the color pie.

For perspective on how powerful this is, check out these cards' mana costs, requirements and activation costs:

Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree, Thraben Doomsayer, Throne of Empires, Myr Turbine, Jund Battlemage, Rhys the Redeemed, Sarpadian Empires, Vol. VII, Orochi Eggwatcher only put one 1/1 token without abilities.
Bloodline Keeper, Summoning Station, Master of the Wild Hunt make 2/2's. Imperious Perfect, too, but they revert to 1/1 if she leaves.
Rakka Mar makes 3-power creatures with haste, but they can't be sacrificed to deal damage like yours.
The big majority are rare, by the way.

Also, your keyword makes the card do a lot. How do you make a card distinct from another if both can be tapped and pay to make many tokens that sacrifice for damage? What abilities can you put with this? What cards can be boring, simple, bad or, you know, common with this?

Damn. I was afraid of this.

I'm having a lot of trouble representing the aggression/collectivist combination mechanically...oh, well, back to the drawing board!

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

I'm having a lot of trouble representing the aggression/collectivist combination mechanically

dunno if this is at all what you're going for (and not sure it's balance itself, either)

but, reworking Fury:

Fury -- __ (When this enters the battlefield, you may pay __.  If you do, until end of turn, creatures you control gain "Sacrifice this Creature: It deals damage to target creature equal to the number of creatures you control.")

cares about having lots of creatures (red/green); likes direct damage and sacrificing (red); very aggressive (red/green)

could also bring back the N:

Fury N -- __ (When this enters the battlefield, you may pay __.  If you do, until end of turn, N creatures you control gain "Sacrifice this Creature: It deals damage to target creature equal to the number of creatures you control.")

flavorwise, the mechanic looks a lot like Bloodrush -- one of the members of the clan gives a sort of rallying, furious battlecry that spurs on a few of the other clan members -- in this case, spurring them on to suicide attacks, pumped by the rest of the clan

...(shrug)
Fury -- __ (When this enters the battlefield, you may pay __.  If you do, until end of turn, creatures you control gain "Sacrifice this Creature: It deals damage to target creature equal to the number of creatures you control.")

Well, that definitely works flavorfully...I'm just not sure how much I like it mechanically...giving an activated ability to all your creatures is a tiny bit annoying, but even worse is that it can easily get out of hand. Especially in a deck with green (token generation). Imagine sacc'ing 5 tokens to deal 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 damage to a player in one go? And that's just damage from the tokens, not including damage from whatever other creatures you have out.

So, yeah...this needs to be toned down somehow...but I like the thought, so we're getting somewhere! :D

I wonder if a simpler version would work? Something like this?:

"Fury COST (When this enters the battlefield, you may pay COST. If you do, this deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of nontoken creatures you control.)"

Or did I just nerf it too much?

*EDIT* By the way, the mathematical formula for the amount of damage dealt by saccin'g N creatures, assuming you started with a total of T creatures, is this:

(N * (N + 1)) / 2 + (M-N) * N

Or, factored:

N * ((N+1)/2 + (M-N))

So...yeah. Quite a bit of damage.

(Sorry, I like math :P )

well, with my version, limited it to "target creature" and not players --- thought that was a good way to keep it in check, so you can't just get a mess of Goblin Grenades to the face

definitely think one key component is making it an ETB ability -- much bette than just any time activation

your new fury is definitely nerfed....
Still...it's a lot of damage, especially since the target creature can change with each sacc'd creature. It's basically a field wipe under some easy-to-achieve circumstances.

I think we need to find a balance...a happy medium, if you will...

How about this?:

"Fury COST (COST, , sacrifice this creature: This deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of creatures you control)"

Is that better?

*EDIT* And while I'm at it, I do have a question about one more mechanic for the set. It's for the blue/black combination, which values mental deterioration...so lots of mill, discard, and other flavorfully insane things .

I have this right now:

"Psych (Whenever you would draw a card, you may discard a card instead. If you do, each opponent discards a card.)"

I don't know if that might be a bit underpowered? It's not card advantage, because everyone discards...so is it at all useful?

i think one problem is that red is VERY strongly out-shining green here
in all of the proposed forms

sacing for direct damage is SO red -- adding the "number of creatures" clause is a little green.. or just plain red goblin

maybe turning Fury into an ETB battlecry?  so you don't have to attack with the battlecry guy, but can:

Xxxxxx - /mc/
Creature - ___
Haste
Fury -- When ~ ETB, you may pay .  If you do, attacking creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn.
2/2

make it kinda Bloodrush-esque; where the bonus is a corallory to the fury-creature (i.e., one with trample doesn't have haste, but gives all other attackers a bonus and/or trample)

Yyyyy - /mc/
Creature -
Trample
Fury -- When ~ ETV, you may pay .  If you do, attacking creatures you control gain trample until end of turn.
4/4
i think one problem is that red is VERY strongly out-shining green here
in all of the proposed forms

sacing for direct damage is SO red -- adding the "number of creatures" clause is a little green.. or just plain red goblin

maybe turning Fury into an ETB battlecry?  so you don't have to attack with the battlecry guy, but can:

Xxxxxx - /mc/
Creature - ___
Haste
Fury -- When ~ ETB, you may pay .  If you do, attacking creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn.
2/2

make it kinda Bloodrush-esque; where the bonus is a corallory to the fury-creature (i.e., one with trample doesn't have haste, but gives all other attackers a bonus and/or trample)

Yyyyy - /mc/
Creature -
Trample
Fury -- When ~ ETV, you may pay .  If you do, attacking creatures you control gain trample until end of turn.
4/4

I suppose that makes color sense...it just makes less flavor sense in the set. You see, the fire society is definitely about aggression, but specifically into direct-damage (lava shooting, burning, etc.). So I feel like that needs to be represented somehow...but you're right that it's overshadowing the green, tribal society....

Rrgh, I wish token generation weren't so powerful, because it's flavorful perfection! -_-

yeah; it's gonna be SUPER hard to justify direct damage in green unless it's limited to flying creatures (shrug)

..also, just realized a rules problem in my last suggestion = since it's only "attacking creatures" and those guys don't have flash... it's completely useless -- oops

anyway = green direct damage...
against flying creatures -- ...uhh... payback against having a creature killed? --- through Fight mechanic
yeah; it's gonna be SUPER hard to justify direct damage in green unless it's limited to flying creatures (shrug)

..also, just realized a rules problem in my last suggestion = since it's only "attacking creatures" and those guys don't have flash... it's completely useless -- oops

anyway = green direct damage...
against flying creatures -- ...uhh... payback against having a creature killed? --- through Fight mechanic

Well, unfortunately, another group's mechanic already utilizes fight, so....gonna have to skip that.

I really wish green had a better way of including direct damage so I could make this work! How do red/green cards usually work?

...to Gatherer!

So what do I see here... hydras... discarding lands to burn... flying-specific damage.... burning based on land number... those are the main ways.

So maybe the land ones are the ones I should focus on?

For example:

"Fury N (When this enters the battlefield, it deals N damage to target creature or player for each basic land you control.)"

That could get quite powerful in EDH or other land-heavy games, but only late-game...and in general it should be fine, right?

Also, is my Psych ability above worthwhile or too underpowered?

How about....
Fury [number(N)] [cost]: When this creature enters the battlefield it deals N damage (divided between targets?) to target creature. Then put a (N/N green elemental token or put N 1/1 tokens?)

Then you get direct creature damage, that then creates token(s). In fact if you make the tokens equal to damage dealt this way it allows your opponent to coushin themself... Not sure what tokens your running in your set. Only issue with making them red tokens is that this could never be on green card. In fact you could make N the creatures power.... then its quasi gight, which is sorta green... 
How about....
Fury [number(N)] [cost]: When this creature enters the battlefield it deals N damage (divided between targets?) to target creature. Then put a (N/N green elemental token or put N 1/1 tokens?)

Then you get direct creature damage, that then creates token(s). In fact if you make the tokens equal to damage dealt this way it allows your opponent to coushin themself... Not sure what tokens your running in your set. Only issue with making them red tokens is that this could never be on green card. In fact you could make N the creatures power.... then its quasi gight, which is sorta green... 

Hmm...so something like this, then?:

Fury N -- COST (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pay COST. If you do, it deals N damage to target creature. Then put a 1/1 green Elemental token onto the battlefield for each point of damage dealt this way.)

Does that work better with the colors? Because the flavor is fine, and since it's a 1-off ability, it's not too OP. It's just a matter of whether it fits the colors or not...

*EDIT* Apparently, "point of damage" is not a thing, nor is "for each damage"...so templated correctly, the ability looks like this:

Fury 3—RG (When this enters the battlefield, you may pay RG. If you do, this deals 3 damage to target creature. Then put a number of 1/1 green Elemental creature tokens onto the battlefield equal to the amount of damage dealt this way.)

Unfortunately, that's almost as long as the reminder text for banding >_< . Any way to shorten that?

as long as Fury always has a cost (except some fun card with a 0 or something (i oddly love Slitherhead)). then ithink you can get away with just getting the N tokens -- don't worry about "equal to the damage dealt this way"
yeah, opponent loses the ability to have a cleric deminish the damage, or sac and thereby prevent damage... but whatever!  you've paid a fury cost after already playing a mana cost!  you've earned your damn tokens!!!

So:

Fury N - /mc/ (When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay /mc/.  If you do, ~ deals N damage to target creature.  Then put N 1/1 red and green Elemental creature tokens onto the battlefield.)

Fury N - /mc/ (When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay /mc/.  If you do, ~ deals N damage to target creature.  Then create N 1/1 red and green Elementals.)
Fury N =When this resoloves, you may pay mc: deal N damage to target creatire, and create N green/red elemental token creatures.

Pay MC as this enters play: Do N damage to target creature, and create N green/red (1/1) element creature tokens.

NO WAR
Asking ITC Defense Corp. ‏@itc_defense DoD SBIR/STTR ‏@dodsbir
why does why does the face of defense #DOD calls its targets terrorist invoking bias?
airstrike article / twitter cell

Shovel And Bone – Alleluia! The Devil's Carnival on tour

as long as Fury always has a cost (except some fun card with a 0 or something (i oddly love Slitherhead)). then ithink you can get away with just getting the N tokens -- don't worry about "equal to the damage dealt this way"
yeah, opponent loses the ability to have a cleric deminish the damage, or sac and thereby prevent damage... but whatever!  you've paid a fury cost after already playing a mana cost!  you've earned your damn tokens!!!

So:

Fury N - /mc/ (When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay /mc/.  If you do, ~ deals N damage to target creature.  Then put N 1/1 red and green Elemental creature tokens onto the battlefield.)

Fury N - /mc/ (When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay /mc/.  If you do, ~ deals N damage to target creature.  Then create N 1/1 red and green Elementals.)

I suppose you're right. I think I'm going to go with that.

"Fury N--COST (When this enters the battlefield, you may pay COST. If you do, this deals N damage to target creature. Then put N +1/+1 green Elemental creature tokens onto the battlefield.)"

Now, how about my Psych mechanic from before which I haven't gotten any feedback on?:

"Psych (Whenever you would draw a card, you may discard a card instead. If you do, each opponent discards a card.)"

How is that?

And, while I'm here...I may as well keep all my Ethereal Warfare keyword questions in one thread.

How's this sound for the green/blue mechanic?:

"Divine N (As you cast this, you may tap up to N lands you control. If you do, draw a card for each land tapped this way.)"

I realize this is basically ": Draw X cards", but it's a one-time effect only as it enters the battlefield, and it limits the number of drawn cards, so...is it justified?

You may skip a card draw: all players discard a card, 

Ship a card draw and discard a card: All opponents discard a card. { : means "to have")

As this is cast, pay up to :Xm:: draw a card for each mana payed.
(people will argue whether or not the spell must resolve)

NO WAR
why does why does the face of defense #DOD calls its targets terrorist invoking bias?

divine seems really strong
psych seems really weak

multikicker "draw a card" is strong -- they priced it poorly on Spell Contortion; but conceptually still a strong idea ((and please not my reference to SC and even more so on multikicker... divine doesn't feel original))

card advantage on psych is awful -- you lose two cards (skip draw and a discard) for opponent to only lose one card... even in multi-player settings where you're hitting multiple players, you're giving away great card advantage -- and since you presumably have to up the cost of permanents you're putting psych on (since you can't really call it a downside when it's "may" and there will be the occasional benefit) you're increasing your average cmc for something that's just not beneficial

i'm sorry to be so negative -- but i don't like either of those as keywords -- fury had a good concept and i think you cleaned it up nicely; but divine is too strong to keyword (throwing multikicker on the occasional card is reasonable, but that's it), and psych just isn't worth it
That version of fury seems really powerful and would have to be costed to be nearly unplayable most of the time.

I'd suggest something like this:

Fury [N] [cost] ([cost], [Tap] , Sacrifice this: Put N red Elemental creature tokens with haste onto the battlefield, exile them at end of turn.)

N would generally be the creature's power.

Psych seems like it could be really opressive and unfun, as long as you have your board set up you get to lock your opponents down forever.
I would try for something else that represents mental intimidation... Maybe...
Psych - When you draw this, you may reveal it for as long as it remains in your hand. As long as this is revealed, oppnents can't [something].

Divine is definitely overpowered, it also sounds like prediction... Maybe make it something like like clashing with yourself?

Divine N (When this enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library, if its a card with converted mana cost N or less, put it into your hand.)
(maybe add "Otherwise put it on the bottom of your library.")
Yeah...see, this is why I asked :P .

Since the UB group is about mental deterioration, I really want its mechanic to involve discard or milling. But I need it to be worth it and not too OP...for example, simply making it into "Whenever you draw a card, you may have each opponent discard a card" becomes OP. And if I change it to "target opponent", that's not nearly as elegant...

As for the GU...they're just hard to come up with anything for, since they're about collective manipulation. I had this before:

"Quiver COST (As you cast this, you may pay COST as many times as you want. If you do, tap or untap target permanent for each time the quiver cost was paid.)"

So kind of like a restricted ETB Twitch with multikicker, it just didn't feel green at all.

@Cabal: While that's cool, clash is much more of a red thing, and that doesn't feel at all green, either...

It would, essentially, turn everything into a partial Coiling Oracle.

For psych, you could make it miraculous mill.

Psych N [cost] (When you draw this, you may pay [cost] and reveal it. If you do, each/target opponent puts the top N cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.)
N would probably be the converted mana cost most of the time.
sort of a mill on wheels

Psyche may aswell be an enchantment

Divine N (On resolve, reveal your top card, if its mana toll is N or less, draw it.)

NO WAR

But with the Oracle, what makes it green is that it gives you lands. If I limited it to only giving you lands, not other cards, it'd be too weak on a keyword; but if it gives you other cards, it's no longer green.

Basically, green does mana-ramping well, but that's too powerful to keyword. It also does enchantment destruction pretty well, but again, a bit too powerful.

Unless...what if I combined some blue-ness with enchantment destruction to nerf it just a little bit, just enough to be not too powerful?

Something like this (name subject to change, obviously):

"Organic N (When this enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library. If its converted mana cost is greater than or equal to N, you may destroy target enchantment.)"

Is that okay? Or is it now too limited-use?

As for your Psych idea...it does seem a little too powerful as a mill keyword like that, doesn't it? Maybe if it were target opponent...but even then, Miracle is more a white thing than a blue thing anyway...

I was thinking of maybe turning it the other way around: "Whenever a player discards a card, you may draw a card." But then if you control multiple permanents with that, it stacks insanely, and if you limit it to one per trigger, it becomes a bit ueseless on multiple creatures...

That would be far too limited.

Green is secondary in card draw, with the version I proposed it wouldn't be too much of a stretch, especially since it's attached to a creature.

Remember, miracle is only miracle in flavor when it's called that, just because it's a miracle variant doesn't meen it keeps that flavor, plus there were three in each color but black (set flavor) and green (because who knows?) With psych, it would be flavored as the knowledge of you having access to something unnerving them to the point of insanity. The "each/target" part was for you to choose which, since I didn't know which you would prefer. There's no way it would be too powerful when it has a mana cost attached to it, especially since it's mill.
That would be far too limited.

Green is secondary in card draw, with the version I proposed it wouldn't be too much of a stretch, especially since it's attached to a creature.

Remember, miracle is only miracle in flavor when it's called that, just because it's a miracle variant doesn't meen it keeps that flavor, plus there were three in each color but black (set flavor) and green (because who knows?) With psych, it would be flavored as the knowledge of you having access to something unnerving them to the point of insanity. The "each/target" part was for you to choose which, since I didn't know which you would prefer. There's no way it would be too powerful when it has a mana cost attached to it, especially since it's mill.

Hm. I tested your psych variant on a card, and I do like it...I suppose I can flavor it with a different name in a way that works. Thanks

And I always think of card draw as blue...but I just did the searches and found these stats for cards that reference the words "draw card":

373 U
132 G
114 B
97 W
81 R

So, yeah, green is second, followed closely by black...

So maybe this slightly simplified version?:

"Divine COST (When you cast this, you may pay COST and reveal the top card of your library. If you do and its converted mana cost is less than or equal to this card’s, put it into your hand.)"

That sounds like it might have the Rebel problem, since you have enough mana to cast and kick it, you'll probably have enough to play whatever you're getting in an upward spiral.

You said that it's about collective manipulation, what about something that cares about how many you have?

Divine (When this enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library. If its converted mana cost is less than or equal to the number of permanents with divine you control, put it into your hand.)
That sounds like it might have the Rebel problem, since you have enough mana to cast and kick it, you'll probably have enough to play whatever you're getting in an upward spiral.

You said that it's about collective manipulation, what about something that cares about how many you have?

Divine (When this enters the battlefield, reveal the top card of your library. If its converted mana cost is less than or equal to the number of permanents with divine you control, put it into your hand.)

Well, more about the collective manipulation of others...but at the same time, their roots (pardon the pun if you caught that) are in kinship tribes...which makes sense with that mechanic. The more things with Divine you control, the more powerful Divine is. It does feel very Drivolian (the green society that forms the green part of this group).

I'm just wondering on how many cards I'd need to put that for it to be useful in a full set? I'm not good with estimating percentages like that...

RtR and GTC suggest about 11 but as low as 9. 3 at each rarity from common to rare is a good base to start with then, if necessary, add another common and/or uncommon.

Show
11 populate
11 unleash
9 detain
12 overload
10 scavenge
11 bloodrush
11 evolve
11 cipher
11 extort
11 battalion
RtR and GTC suggest about 11 but as low as 9. 3 at each rarity from common to rare is a good base to start with then, if necessary, add another common and/or uncommon.

Show
11 populate
11 unleash
9 detain
12 overload
10 scavenge
11 bloodrush
11 evolve
11 cipher
11 extort
11 battalion

Yes...but since this version of Divine cares about the number of creatures you have with Divine...should that percentage be raised for it?

You might want to shift one of the rare slots that would have it to common,
A 5-4-2 split or something like that would probably work best, but it all depends on the rest of the mana costs in the set. On average, chances are even with just one, you'll be drawing a card about 40% of the time in limited.
Yikes. I guess this is where understanding the differences in rarity would come in handy. I still haven't gotten the hang of that (in fact, in my sets, most if not all cards stay set to the default common rarity just because I don't know which to pick).

I guess I'll just make the set and have someone else go through the cards and pick rarities, then I can adjust later :P . Want to be my rarity editor? :P

Sign In to post comments