2/4/2013 Draft Simulator

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Here's the deck I ended up with.  I had to pass up a couple bomb cards, but I stuck with green and blue to give me the late-game offense and early-game defense i would need.

Creatures - 15
2x Arbor Elf
1x Fog Bank
1x Elvish Visionary
1x Deadly Recluse
1x Beast Tracker
1x Yeva's Forcemage
1x Watercourser
1x Primal Huntbeast
1x Roaring Primadox
2x Spiked Baloth
1x Vastwood Gorger
1x Duskdale Wurm
1x Primordial Hydra

Spells - 6
1x Fog
1x Titanic Growth
1x Downpour
2x Tricks of the Trade
1x Fungal Sprouting

Artifacts - 2
2x Ring of Kalonia

Lands - 17
11x Forest
6x Island              
B/W/g bombs.dec

Round 1:
Primordial Hydra Unanswered, this WILL win you the game
Pacifism solid removal
Duskdale Wurm Sweeeeet
Angelic Benediction tempo
Crusader of Odric I may value this card a little too highly....
Servant of Nefarox looks like green has dried up, time to step in to black.
Mark of the Vampire bomb
Crippling Blight tempo
Mark of the Vampire bomb
Ravenous Rats curve filler
Crippling Blight tempo
Crippling Blight tempo
Bloodthrone Vampire curve filler
Smelt whatevs
Forest whatevs

Round 2:
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis HUUUUUUGEEE Bomb
Rise from the Grave Bomb
Tormented Soul sweet
Kitesail evasion, nice
Mark of the Vampire bomb
Walking Corpse curve filler
Ranger's Path help my green splash
Ranger's Path see above
Duty-Bound Dead ah, there's my exalted
Guardians of Akrasa yeeesssss, yeessssss
Serpent's Gift meh
Naturalize sideboard card
Mind Sculpt whatevs
Tormod's Crypt whatevs
Island whatevs

Round 3:
Oblivion Ring tough choice between this and the angel, but I like the removal a bit more and I've already got tons of bombs
Krenko, Mob Boss literally nothing here I want to take so I hate drafted
Xathrid Gorgon o.O...  yoink.
Crusader of Odric solid
Captain's Call this will help my crusaders IMMENSELY
Duty-Bound Dead sweeeeeet
Giant Scorpion curve filler
Duress eh....
Sign in Blood probably won't make it, but sure, why not
Walking Corpse curve filler
Ring of Kalonia nothing else for me really and this guy can give trample to my fatties that don't already have it
Angel's Mercy whatevs
Tricks of the Trade whatevs
Bond Beetle whatevs
Island whatevs

Creatures (14)

Non-Creatures (8)
[deck]
1x Crippling Blight
1x Pacifism
1x Kitesail
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Ranger's Path
1x Angelic Benediction
2x Mark of the Vampire
[/deck]

Lands (18)
[deck]
4x Forest
6x Plains
8x Swamp
[/deck]

Okay, okay, the green may be asking for it.  But I think that the rest of the deck should click smoothly enough for the colors to come together in enough time.  If I'm wrong, then I cut green for more curve fillers and another crippling blight, Like so:

Creatures (15)
[deck]
1x Tormented Soul
2x Duty-Bound Dead
1x Ravenous Rats
2x Walking Corpse
1x Giant Scorpion
1x Servant of Nefarox
1x Guardians of Akrasa
2x Crusader of Odric
1x Captain's Call
1x Rise from the Grave
1x Xathrid Gorgon
1x Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
[/deck]

Non-Creatures (8)
[deck]
2x Crippling Blight
1x Pacifism
1x Kitesail
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Angelic Benediction
2x Mark of the Vampire
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
8x Plains
9x Swamp
[/deck]

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Tazo, you ended up with almost the same picks that I did. I'm thinking that three or four Krenko's Commands, two Trumpet Blasts, Krenko himself and an Arms Dealer might be good enough. 

I didn't grab the Farseek, so I might not do the white splash for the Pacifisms and O-rings. That might cost me some games. 
I had some major buyers remorse as I went through these picks, but pack 3 really helped me feel better.  Taking an Epic p1p1 is never wrong, right?

I really did find myself wishiing I had stayed with White, but Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis was just too good to pass up, even through it lead me away from 2 O-Rings.

Creatures (15):
Duty-Bound Dead x 2
Arbor Elf x 3
Deadly Recluse x 2
Primordial Hydra
Servant of Nefarox
Giant Scorpion x 2
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Xathrid Gorgon
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
Duskdale Wurm

Spells (7):
Crippling Blight x 3
Farseek x 2
Ranger's Path x 2

Artifacts (1):
Ring of Kalonia

Lands (17):
Swamp x 8
Forest x 9

Simple concept, accelerate mana production so you can drop one of your 4 fatties.  Everyone else is for defense, with 2 regenerators and 5 deathtouch, they won't want to be super aggressive in game one.  But it is all about accelerating your mana production with 7 cards all around producing more mana, you should get an early fatty every game, and the tracker is there to dig for one so you technically have 5 fatties in the deck because the tracker will find one when you need it.

I think I like this deck, even though I had to pass up 2 O-Rings and my favorite card in the set Rancor... Guess the AI has started to see that as a valuable card, as it didn't table.

Sign In to post comments