New to D&D. General question on leveling

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay me and my fiance recently got a group of friends all interested in D&D. We all have stuff on 4e the handbooks, DM guide, Monster Manual, etc. My fiance has fully read the first player's handbook and part of the DM guide. She said that it didn't say how many skills our characters start off with, nor how many new skills we are allowed to learn per level. Can somebody please shed some light on this subject for us?
How many skills you are trained in is in the grey box at the start of every character class description.

You only gain new skills as you level up if you take the Skill Training feat, or a Multiclass feat that gives you a skill training.
Okay I'm sorry I worded my question wrong. Okay how many different attacks do they learn? Example: As a level 1 Dragonborn Paladin I choose bolstering stike as a level 1 at-will prayer. How many more am I allowed to choose as level 1? Also how many am I allowed to pick per level? I apologize for the miswording, and I also apologize if this is posted in the wrong area.
Everyone has all the skills and can roll skill checks for any of them at any time.  Each character will be TRAINED in some skills which just means they have a +5 to that roll.   But you don't have to be trained in a skill to a roll a skill check for it.

If you mean how many powers (which are mostly attack powers) does a character get, that's listed in the PHB on page 29 for each level. These are just the powers that each character gets as they level up.  You may gain additional powers due to your class or your race or other sources.

By default, at first level, each character will get:

TWO 1st level At-Will attack powers of your class
ONE 1st level Encounter attack power of your class
ONE 1st level Daily attack power of your class
Plus you may get other powers because you're a certain class or race or whatever

All characters also know a few other attacks and actions described starting on page 286.  The most important ones to know are Melee Basic Attack (just swing your sword) and Ranged Basic Attack (just shoot your bow).  All characters can do these.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

OKAY THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Edit: Also if I may I have another question quickly. In the PHB it says: Hallowed Circle Paladin Attck 5. Does that mean that a paladin is able to learn it at level 5?
In the PHB it says: Hallowed Circle Paladin Attck 5. Does that mean that a paladin is able to learn it at level 5?

Yup.
In the PHB it says: Hallowed Circle Paladin Attck 5. Does that mean that a paladin is able to learn it at level 5?

Yup.

And, for that matter, any time after level 5 that he normally gets to choose a Daily power.  You can always pick a lower level power of the same type.  For example, when you're at level 9 and you would normally pick a lvl 9 Daily power, you could instead pick a lvl 5 Daily power if you wanted.  It's not usually a good idea to take a lower level power, but sometimes it's fun.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Yup.

And, for that matter, any time after level 5 that he normally gets to choose a Daily power.  You can always pick a lower level power of the same type.  For example, when you're at level 9 and you would normally pick a lvl 9 Daily power, you could instead pick a lvl 5 Daily power if you wanted.  It's not usually a good idea to take a lower level power, but sometimes it's fun.

Also, the PHB only has CHA based attacks for Paladins at level 9.  If you're playing a STR based paladin and only using the PHB, you may want to look back at level 5.

2 recommendations:

1) If you're set on playing a paladin, make sure to pick up Divine Power.  It adds quite a number of powers to paladins, and, in particular, adds an additional way of marking (Divine Sanction).  Paladins are much more effective with Divine Power added in (of course, you can always pick up a D&D Insider subscription, which will let you browse all the powers, items, etc, including those from Dragon Magazine).

2) To the extent possible, try to avoid using monsters from Monster Manuals 1 and 2.  The developers had some issues with math, and those enemies will both hit you too lightly as you level up and also be very hard to hit.  Monster Manual 3, Monster Vault 1 and Monster Vault 2 all have the updated math.

Good luck!

Would Monster Vault 2 be Monster Vault - Threats to the Nentir Vale?
Would Monster Vault 2 be Monster Vault - Threats to the Nentir Vale?

Yes, sorry.  Note that the Nentir Vale is the generic D&D 4e setting, so anything from there can more or less be brought into any other setting quite easily.
Okay. Thank you all for your tremendous help. Smile
Sign In to post comments