DLCR: Aurelia's Fury

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other GTC card to rate is...

Aurelia's Fury

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is insane!  Easily one of the best cards in the set if not the best.  I can't see ever passing this.

Discuss! 

I don't care what I have to do to play this. Shuts out tricks. Enables the alpha strike. Burns your opponents and creatures.

If I can't play it, I sure as heck aint letting someone else play it.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

This seems like it would be pretty insane all around. Removal, direct damage, alphastrike potential... I think a 5.0 is justified.
I don't think there is any doubt that it is a 5.0
This is why they created a 5
Easy

This is a very sweet spell, all upside from Volcanic Geyser. I'm thinking 4.5.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
In draft, this will most often close the game. 5.
This is a very sweet spell, all upside from Volcanic Geyser. I'm thinking 4.5.

I was thinking this was closest to Rolling Thunder. Except it is an instant, taps the creatures and prevents the players from casting non creature spells. And Rolling Thunder was already in the 4.0 range.
4.0, but ONLY due to big, fat technicalities:  Greven's 4.5 specifies splashable, and 5.0 specifies always run, so realistically no gold card can ever get higher than 4.0  -- if it was monochromatic or heavens forbid hybrid, it would be a shoe-in for 5, but as it stands, If I'm in solid Dimir or Simic pack 3 and open this I'm taking it over anything If Dimir and anything but Master Biomancer or Prime Speaker Zegana if Simic (in any case, foil required), but just to hate it.  Like Olivia Voldaren back in Innistrad, this will win games for any deck that can run it, but not any deck can, as trying to reach for the support to splash two colors that you need both of to run a single card is going to do more damage to your deck than Fury will help.

Possibly the best card in the set, but possibly not the highest rated, just because it's Gold

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Even if I don't actually play this, I will always hate draft this.
4.0, but ONLY due to big, fat technicalities:  Greven's 4.5 specifies splashable, and 5.0 specifies always run, so realistically no gold card can ever get higher than 4.0  -- if it was monochromatic or heavens forbid hybrid, it would be a shoe-in for 5, but as it stands, If I'm in solid Dimir or Simic pack 3 and open this I'm taking it over anything If Dimir and anything but Master Biomancer or Prime Speaker Zegana if Simic (in any case, foil required), but just to hate it.  Like Olivia Voladren back in Innistrad, this will win games for any deck that can run it, but not any deck can, as trying to reach for the support to splash two colors that you need both of to run a single card is going to do more damage to your deck than Fury will help.

Possibly the best card in the set, but possibly not the highest rated, just because it's Gold

That's what I was thinking.  Now, if you're in at least one of the colors, there is absolutely no reason not to fit it in.  So I could argue a 4.5 (Which in my mind is essentially always first pick, no matter what) as it can be either included or splashed easily enough in 3 out of 5 guilds.  And if I were alread 3 color with a bridge somewere, I'd probably consider it at that point.

But I can't really see this as being a 5.  Pack Rat is the go-to 5 for RTR, and this is no pack rat in limited.  It's good, mind you, very good.  With a lot more utility than the rats.  But the difference is that the Rats is both easily splashable and game breaking in limited.

4.0, but ONLY due to big, fat technicalities:  Greven's 4.5 specifies splashable, and 5.0 specifies always run, so realistically no gold card can ever get higher than 4.0  -- if it was monochromatic or heavens forbid hybrid, it would be a shoe-in for 5, but as it stands, If I'm in solid Dimir or Simic pack 3 and open this I'm taking it over anything If Dimir and anything but Master Biomancer or Prime Speaker Zegana if Simic (in any case, foil required), but just to hate it.  Like Olivia Voldaren back in Innistrad, this will win games for any deck that can run it, but not any deck can, as trying to reach for the support to splash two colors that you need both of to run a single card is going to do more damage to your deck than Fury will help.

This isn't all together accurate.

5.0 ALSO signifies "Hate 1" which this definitely is.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

This isn't all together accurate.

5.0 ALSO signifies "Hate 1" which this definitely is.

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.

Emphasis mine.  I may agree with "Hate 1", but I'm a stickler for rules.  4.0 is the highest rating that doesn't bend them.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D

"5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1"

Seems pretty clear to me...
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Emphasis on the word "play" -- in the phrase "I will always play this card".  There are easily conceivable circumstances in which I will not play a fury, and as per 4.5 I certain;y can't splash for it unless I'm already in one color.

Emphasis on the word "play" -- in the phrase "I will always play this card".  There are easily conceivable circumstances in which I will not play a fury, and as per 4.5 I certain;y can't splash for it unless I'm already in one color.

That matirx is incorrect than, very narrow interpretations.

If you will pick a card everytime than it's a 5.0

In P1P1 what do you take over this??

That matirx is incorrect than, very narrow interpretations.

If you will pick a card everytime than it's a 5.0

In P1P1 what do you take over this??

I think this is a key point. Many cards will increase or decrease in pickability as the draft goes on. Also, regarding this card, there's something to be said about hating the card.

If this card isn't a 5, then what is, in this set? 
the numbering system takes all three packs into account.  There are few, if any cards I would take over this P1P1, but the number expands (from 0? to 2?, or thereabouts: the simic mythics, especially Master Biomancer, are good enough that if I'm in simic p3 and open both this an one of them, I'll take the one that makes deck because it's a bonkers card either way) by p3 in certian circumstances, and it's (more of) a hate pick potentially.

I have, not for a moment, doubted the power level of this card, only the strict construction of the rubrik given.  If you wanted to measure by Power out of five, or purely by average draft pick with no consideration given to if it is guarenteed to make the deck thereafter, it's worth the highest marks

As for what would be a 5?  I haven't examined Gatecrash carefully enough, but as someone pointed out Pack Rat was the goto for RtR.  Pack Rat has only one colored mana symbol in its mana cost: even if you're pure Selesnya, Azorius, or Izzet at the top of pack three, you're not just taking the Pack Rat, you are able to run it.  Every deck, every time.  If you'll excuse a double negative that gets the point across: It never doesn't make maindeck.  That's a 5.

Fury might occassionally not make maindeck, so it can't be a 5, and splashability is explicitly part of 4.5 as well.

We seem to agree on how good this card is.  What we appear to be disagreeing on is whether one should follow the strict construction of the rubrik to the letter, or give numbers based on that power level and NOT the rubrik.

Since the majority of Limited games are drafts, and knowing the abstract value of a card in draft is much more helpful than knowing it in sealed, I propose moving to a numeric systems based only on draft. Under this new system, 5.0 would be first pick pack 3, regardless of what else you've drafted. Which I believe fits for this card.
Since the majority of Limited games are drafts, and knowing the abstract value of a card in draft is much more helpful than knowing it in sealed, I propose moving to a numeric systems based only on draft. Under this new system, 5.0 would be first pick pack 3, regardless of what else you've drafted. Which I believe fits for this card.

I would agree wholeheartedly.  Ranking based on Average Draft Pick, something like this...

5.0 -- First Pick, Every Pack
4.5 -- First Pick, First pack
4.0 -- First to third pick on average
3.5 -- third to fifth pick
3.0 -- fourth to sixth pick
2.5 -- fifth to seventh pick
2.0 -- sixth to eighth pick
1.5 -- seventh to ninth pick
1.0 -- 10th to 12th pick
0.5 -- 12th or later pick
0.0 -- Last pick: foil basics might go before this

... my numbers could use some work to be smoother.

Something is wrong in Dodge.

The most important pack for this evaluation is Pack one.

Is there a card you will pick over this in Pack One? If the answer is no, then this is a 5.0

Of course the other packs are important but this still is hate #1 in those packs, you might pick another card but this still qualifies as a hate 1.

If people are going to rate this as a 4.0 than we need to revise our rankings because that's obviousy silly.