DLCR: Assemble the Legion

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays GTC card to rate is...

Assemble the Legion

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

I'm not sure how to rate this one.  It's a power effect no doubt about it.  However it costs a bit of mana so is it to late to start pumping out 1/1's?

As of right now I'll give it a 2.5 but that will probably change after a bit of playing it and seeing it played.

Discuss! 
I've seen it in action and it's lackluster, since it's a T6 1/1 and a T7 2/2 and usually Boros doesn't go that long.

2 for me

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

This seems like a pretty obvious candidate for 4.0 or higher. Why all of the hate?
This seems like a pretty obvious candidate for 4.0 or higher. Why all of the hate?

Probably bc I've seen it in action and it's lackluster.

I've seen it in action on more than one occassion and I was majorly impressed. 3.5 for me.

Getting a free creature, then 2, then 3, then 4 ... etc is lackluster? Unless your opponent is beating your through the air or has enchantment removal it seems pretty difficult to lose with this card on the table.
I've used it. It's not great, but it is powerful. 3.5.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

Getting a free creature, then 2, then 3, then 4 ... etc is lackluster? Unless your opponent is beating your through the air or has enchantment removal it seems pretty difficult to lose with this card on the table.

I think it's more about the colors it's in. It comes down too late for Boros's aggro plan, it doesn't fit into Orzhov's plan except as chump blockers, and when you splash it in Gruul it just doesn't perform. Granted, of those scenarios I haven't seen it in Orzhov, but every other time it never mattered.

Basically, it's a do-nothing T5 that over T5, T6, and T7 is a worse Goblin Rally. And Goblin Rally's probably a 2.5, so this, for me, get's a 2... maybe a 2.5 against a nose-picking durdle deck. Sure, it's a 3.0 if you're getting to T8 and T9, but who ranks cards based on T8 and T9???

Saw it once at the prerelease and it was pretty good and obviously leads to inevitability, but it's pretty slow. Better as a splash in Orzhov than in Boros, but not bad in Boros either if your opponent eventually stabilizes from your initial onslaught.

I think it's more about the colors it's in. It comes down too late for Boros's aggro plan, it doesn't fit into Orzhov's plan except as chump blockers, and when you splash it in Gruul it just doesn't perform. Granted, of those scenarios I haven't seen it in Orzhov, but every other time it never mattered.

Basically, it's a do-nothing T5 that over T5, T6, and T7 is a worse Goblin Rally. And Goblin Rally's probably a 2.5, so this, for me, get's a 2... maybe a 2.5 against a nose-picking durdle deck. Sure, it's a 3.0 if you're getting to T8 and T9, but who ranks cards based on T8 and T9???

Getting an increasingly large number of creatures fits into every gameplan. If you were successful in the early aggro this card should be able to close it out. If you are behind your opponent in life when you cast it you can use the tokens as chump blockers until the enchantment in producing enough of them for you to go on the offensive. Either way this should lead to an advantage that doesn't take too many turns to become insurmountable.

I would definitely splash for this if I were in either white or red.

Getting an increasingly large number of creatures fits into every gameplan. If you were successful in the early aggro this card should be able to close it out. If you are behind your opponent in life when you cast it you can use the tokens as chump blockers until the enchantment in producing enough of them for you to go on the offensive. Either way this should lead to an advantage that doesn't take too many turns to become insurmountable.

I think I'd splash for it, and I'll have to play with it to make a final judgment. However, I would not want to cast this/top deck this if I was behind, especially if I'm playing aggro. It literally takes up an entire turn in the midgame for one 1/1 haster which you get the next turn. That's horrible tech, and doesn't help you get ahead. Maybe I'm over-simplifying, but "bad now, good later" doesn't mean "all good" to me. I think 2.0 is fair.

Sure, boros is usually trying to close out the game more quickly than this would come online, but if you are making a deck with a more long term plan (Borzhov for instance) then this is amazing.

@rstnme:  Sure, you're looking at what it does by turn 7 and it looks bad.  But what if the game goes to turn 10 and they aren't able to remove this? Then you've gotten a grand total of 15 (hasty) creatures for an investment of just 5 mana.  Seems pretty strong.
This is a card that can completely dominate the game if given enough time. Even Planeswalkers are terrible top-decks when you are behind, you can't rate all cards that are terrible top-decks when you are behind at 2.5 and lower.

Also note that you do not typically spash for cards that are 2.5 and below.

My inclination is to rate this card as a 4.0
You're right, I typically don't splash 2.0-ers. I'm coming right out and saying I could be totally off about this and will if the opportunity arises try it out, but also couching that in watching this play out and watching this fail several times. Every single time, to be exact.

@Aqueous I'm actually looking at what this does T5. I personally believe that's one of the most important turns in a limited game, or, really, any game for that matter. Is this worth losing T5? I would say no, most of the time. I believe Gatecrash is a significantly faster set than RtR, and needs immediate threats and immediate responses over a durdle game based on T1-4 to eventually dominate on T10.

It also fits in a weird slot in a curve. Aggro-y decks wants immediate bombs or big creatures in the 5-slot, or removal. In terms of curve, this feels like it hits the creature 15 or 16 slot doesn't it? Or as the 6th or 7th slot if you didn't get enough removal?

Anyway, bobus when I get a chance to try it out I'll post my thoughts. Again, I could be completely off.

This is awesome in Orzhov or WBR decks, a little slow (but still servicable) in fast Boros. 4.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I had one of these in my Prerelease pool.  I never lost a single game that I played it.  It may not have quite the same power in a draft, but I will play it every chance I get.

@rstnme:  There is more than one way to build a RW deck.  Just like RTR had big slow Rakdos and all-out-aggro Rakdos, not every Boros deck is going to be 1- and 2-drops all day long.  Red and white are two of the best colors for removal, so I can easily see drafting a slower, sort of controlling Boros deck that kills all your dudes with removal or efficient creature trades, then drops this to overwhelm when you can't do anything about it.

I'll give it at least a 4.0, maybe higher.

My point is, if you're behind on T5, casting this does nothing until T6, and then it gives you one chump blocker. That play can lose you the game. I'm not going to argue the other point because I agree with it, which is why I'm willing to rescind my first impressions and try it out.

I just think it's misleading to say "if you are behind your opponent in life when you cast it you can use the tokens as chump blockers" because when you cast this you don't get any chump blockers. It's not a solution when you're behind, it's the first nail in your coffin. And I personally think it's reasonable in this format to say games can be decided by T5 or T6. Maybe you mean when life totals are like 18 and 16 or something, then it's not a big deal, but that's a pretty huge assumption on your part/hole in your point. I won/loss several games at the pre-release by T5, and most by T7 or T8.

Think about it:

Boros will just keep attacking and get damage through, or wait to cast that thunder mass-removal, or fly over you.
Orzhov will kingpin pet/extort you to death, and not give a hoot about T10 dinky shenanigans.
Simic will fly over you/attack through you.
Gruul will trample through you.
Dimir will attack past you.

Rstnme is right, guys. This does very little if you are behind. It's at its best when you are at parity. 4.0 or higher needs to be able to turn a game around. This is good, but not great.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Rstnme is right, guys. This does very little if you are behind. It's at its best when you are at parity. 4.0 or higher needs to be able to turn a game around. This is good, but not great.

My qualification for 4.0 or higher is that the card should allow you to take over the game provided it doesn't get removed. If you're not extremely behind or facing evasive damage at the point you cast this it should allow you to do that. Every free creature per turn card I can think of in Limited has been extremely powerful and this one increases in power as the game progresses.

I expect this card to play out somewhat like Cathars' Crusade did. Occassionally you'll get jammed up, where you can't afford to take a single turn on a card that doesn't immediately change the board state, but the vast majority of the time it translates to "I win in x turns" when you play it out.
5, this is the Pack Rat of Gatecrash.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

This car is overall pretty good.

Though it does suffer from a few big problems. Two colors in the casting cost and a five drop that gives you a 1/1 on turn six.

I can't rate the card yet because I need to see how it plays out.

But I can't see that you get pay off for it until turn 8.

At that point it's REALLY powerful.

Also if you don't have it in your hand by turn 5 forget about it...
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Sign In to post comments