Clarify an AoE for me please?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

So I'm staring at two spells in my friend's book and not even much paying attention, cuz I was looking up Luminous Armor the other day, right?

Never mind that I don't need these spells for use today, but I do happen to have a Half-Celestial NPC that is often "around".

On p. 100 of "The Book of Exalted Deeds", there are spells named, "Heavenly Lightning" and "Heavenly Lightning Storm". The first is nice and straight-forward:

Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: Up to one creature per 2 caster levels

Now, it's the second one that throws me: Could somebody please clarify just how the heck this works to me?:

Range: Medium (100 ft. +10 ft./level)
Area: 10-ft. wide to close range (25 ft. +5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: Up to one creature per caster level

The highlighted is what's confuzzling the heck out of me.

well the description of the spell say that are the same that Heavenly Lightning but at more range and affect more target and deal more damage then you can take the spell as.

Range: Medium
Area: 10 Fts
And the chain can affect a creature out of the area if are at close range of a creature affected for this spell, remember that is a chain of lightning.

As example exist 2 creatures in the area and other creature at 20 fts of the area, then this creature are affected for the chain split.

work Like chain Lighting but instead of only have one target you have an area of 10 Fts as base and you can affect all other creatures at close range of each of your affected creature in the area and you can affect up to one creature per CL but you can't target the same creature 2 times or more.
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
I just realized that I don't think this book is even 3.5

Frack me!

I recant the question. 
BoED is 3.0. So you're right!
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
BoED is 3.0. So you're right!

what!!!!!!

This book is of the first 3.5 book are from october 2003.

Book of vile darkness is 3.0 but the book of exalted deeds are 3.5
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
BoED is 3.5
You can tell because the Saint on page 184 has Damage Reduction 5/magic, not /+x
I'm guessing someone's brain ate a mess-ton of beans and farted all over that spell.

As written, I'm guessing it means that it will affect a 10' wide swath as long as whatever is Close range for you. So, if you're 14th level, you could have your lightning streak from creature to creature (max 14) in a 10' wide path 60' long, none of which can be more than 240' away from you. 

This makes for a total of 24 5' squares (at 14th level) able to be affected, so all 14 targets would have to be in really close proximity, in just the right pattern to get the full use of this spell and only does 5d6 damage (17.5 average damage) each.

This of course is just my interpretation of a badly worded spell description so I could be completely off base. If it works for you then use it like that unless you can think of something better. I think I'd probably house rule it to work more like Chain Lightning. Designate a primary and the remaining targets must be within 30' of him, but each takes 5d6 damage.
It's possible that it's not meant to avoid creatures between the spell's targets, so that you can potentially strike a large number of targets by having the celestial lightning arc straight through them.

In its current form, it's not written to properly exclude that part of the base spell, but it would be a logical reason for making a spell wider when it's arcing between targets (naturally, you increase some component of a spell's area because you want to hit more targets).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Sign In to post comments