Interrupting opportunity action

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
A monster is next to a fighter that has marked it. A warlock ally of the fighter moves past the monster, provoking an opportunity attack from the monster. The fighter uses Combat Challenge to smack the monster. The fighter's attack also pushes the monster, so that the monster is out of range to attack the warlock.

First assumption/question:  My understanding is that since the interrupt happened before the OA, the monster doesn't get to attack the warlock.

Now, the real question: Has that monster used up it's opportunity action for the warlock's round? Did his failed OA on the warlock 'count'? Or can he do an OA later in the warlock's round - for example, if the warlock walked up adjacent to the now-moved monster and used a ranged attack?

Thanks in advance.
An interrupted action which fails due to the interrupt, still uses the triggering action.  So the mnonster can't now OA again on the warlorck's turn.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thank you. I thought that was the rule, but couldn't find it and there was some debate at the table.
A monster is next to a fighter that has marked it. A warlock ally of the fighter moves past the monster, provoking an opportunity attack from the monster. The fighter uses Combat Challenge to smack the monster.

Also, just so you know Combat Challenge doesn't come up on opportunity attacks.

A Fighter can use Combat Challenge to make a melee basic attack as an immediate interrupt when an adjacent enemy marked by it shift or make an attack that doesn't include it as a target.

A Fighter can use Combat Superiority to make a opportunity attack as an opportunity action when an enemy that it can see leaves a square adjacent to it or use a ranged or area attack while adjacent to it.

EDITED To Strikethrough

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

A monster is next to a fighter that has marked it. A warlock ally of the fighter moves past the monster, provoking an opportunity attack from the monster. The fighter uses Combat Challenge to smack the monster.

Also, just so you know Combat Challenge doesn't come up on opportunity attacks.

A Fighter can use Combat Challenge to make a melee basic attack as an immediate interrupt when an adjacent enemy marked by it shift or make an attack that doesn't include it as a target.

A Fighter can use Combat Superiority to make a opportunity attack as an opportunity action when an enemy that it can see leaves a square adjacent to it or use a ranged or area attack while adjacent to it.

Bolded mine.  Isn't that exactly what happened when the monster tried to OA the warlock ?
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

It is.  The monster is (opportunity) attacking the fighter's ally, so the fighter uses Combat Challenge.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Oops my bad i misread it as the Fighter using CC on the OA. Scratch that. Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter