Any science geeks around?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a computer/video game/electronics/tabletop geek so this isn't my area. Here's the story. Yesterday I was trying to make ramen. I was boiling the water, but no matter how long I waited it just wouldn't boil. The stove was red hot for ages and it was well over twice as long as it usually takes to boil, but there wasn't a single bubble. I tried to take the pot off the stove and as soon as I picked it up it boiled instantly. It boiled like i've never seen anything boil before. It was like someone poured a glass of water in a deep fryer. The water boiled right up over the edge of the pot and splattered all over my chest and arm. Somehow I miraculously didn't get burned very bad, but now i'm scared to try to boil water in my own kitchen. I know it sounds impossible, but I swear it happened. Why would I make this up? There has to be a scientific explanation for this. If anyone knows what it is can you please tell me? So far the only explanation I could come up with is 'a witch put a curse on my ramen'.
This is a very rare phenomenon and more common (though still very rare) with microwaves. The water for some reason did not have a way to activate the liquid to gas phase transition and became super heated. It only happens if the water is very still, has few dissolved minerals, and is in a smooth container. As soon as you moved the pot, jostling the water, the water flash boiled. You can avoid this in the future by stirring the water while it is heating up or putting another object in the pot. But usually, just the movement of the water in putting it on the stove is enough and this should only be a problem if you let the water sit for a long time before heating (or reheat previously boiled water without moving the water much).

Most people aren't so lucky and wind up with severe burns on their hand and/or face.

Credential: Ph.D. Meteorology

See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating 

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Were you using distilled water?  As bubba said, this usually happens with low mineral content water, which is what distilled water is.  I don't know the numbers, but /i think this is alot less rare if you start out with distilled water.  Thus, if this is what happened, switching to tap water could help.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
I just wanted to try this and realised all the glassware in my lab is scratched.
Time to annoy the boss and buy some more.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

I'm no scientist, but from my limited knowledge it sounds like the same concept as flash-freezing beer, only in reverse.

Sign In to post comments