Two-Handed Damage and HP

Let's say that a two-handed weapon can do up to 1d12+15 which will be the highest damage in the game.

+5 for maximum ability
+5 for maximum level
+5 for magic and other mods

Hit Points per level, could be as high as 1d12+5.

+5 for maximum constitution mod

Is that fair?
It does speed up combat.
If we add multiple attacks per turn, they would not have any damage bonuses.
And - to make this fair - how much damage do wizards do with their spells?

Carl   
I think it's fair. By the time you can add 15 to damage, enemies will have so many HD it won't matter as much. It's the extra damage dice at low levels that break it.
Considering monsters will have over 100 HP by the time you get all those damage increases 90% of the time, it sees fair.

Assuming 20 Str/Dex and a +5 1d12 weapon, you are dealing 16.5 damage before damage dice. With 75% accuracy, you are only dealing ~12.4 damage a round to ~100 HP worth of creatures.

Let's say in the next packet, you get 3W of damage dice at level 10 for 4W+10. That is only 27 damage per turn with 75% accuracy.

Raise HP? More like lower HP.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Aren't magic weapons capped at +3 right now (some may have conditional higher bonuses I guess).
It seems to me that the precise weapon damage vs spell damage is less important to hash out than the the average number of "hits" from a same-level attacker needed to drop a creature. All other things being equal, if a level 1 normal creature takes 2-3 hits from a level 1 PC to defeat, and it takes the same number of hits at level 20, is that what is best?

Should the average number of hits go up as levels increase? IMO, I would say they should, albeit not by much. Something like an additional "hit" at levels 5 and 15, so at 15+ the normal creatures would require 4 hits on average to defeat. Elites would require 50% more hits, while solos would need about 100% more. This would need to tweaked a little based on expected group size, although assuming the base encounter size matchs the party size for all "standard" encounters makes sense.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
And - to make this fair - how much damage do wizards do with their spells?

Carl   

Carl, I think that because casters don't have a lot of hit points that they should do a lot of damage. But because of the maximum number of hit points a character can start with would be 1d12+con score,

2d6 and 3d4 damage?
Considering monsters will have over 100 HP by the time you get all those damage increases 90% of the time, it sees fair. Assuming 20 Str/Dex and a +5 1d12 weapon, you are dealing 16.5 damage before damage dice. With 75% accuracy, you are only dealing ~12.4 damage a round to ~100 HP worth of creatures. Let's say in the next packet, you get 3W of damage dice at level 10 for 4W+10. That is only 27 damage per turn with 75% accuracy. Raise HP? More like lower HP.

O.k. Thanks for your math and reasoning.

Should the average number of hits go up as levels increase? IMO, I would say they should, albeit not by much. Something like an additional "hit" at levels 5 and 15,

This is almost how it works out, there would be an additional main attack, off-hand attack spread between 25 levels.

If a two-handed weapon does 1d12 but takes up a main and off-hand attack,
then a main attack should do 1d8
an off-hand attack should do 1d4

What was pointed out was that two weapon fighters get bonuses twice
two-handed fighters get bonuses once

Should we double the bonus damage for two-handed weapons?
Should we negate the damage for all secondary attacks?