Deathtouch

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Real quick one here

702.2c A creature with toughness greater than 0 that's been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action. See rule 704.

so that means fighting or pinging with a deathtouch creature is an instant kill, right? stupid legalese...

Real quick one here

702.2c A creature with toughness greater than 0 that's been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action. See rule 704.

so that means fighting or pinging with a deathtouch creature is an instant kill, right? stupid legalese...

Yes.  Any amount of damage from a deathtouch source will destroy the creature

thank you
Real quick one here

Yes.  Any amount of damage from a deathtouch source will destroy the creature

Also, any non-0 amount of damage from a source with deathtouch is considered lethal damage. Which allows, among other things, a deathtouch trample creature to assign only 1 damage to each creature blocking it then "trample" over to the defending player/planeswalker.

"Legalese" is important, if it's not exact then anyne could bend it to his/her own ends (I'm looking at you Warhammer 40k :P).

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

stupid legalese...

Fantasy game players have unbridled imagination: they love to have open-ended opportunities.
This led to the creation of more than 12918 Magic cards, not counting UN- editions.
But those cards need to work together, which led to a 196-page rulebook.
Without «legalese», this rulebook might be 300-page long...

For example:
702.2c A creature is destroyed if it receives damage from a source with deathtouch
  702.2c.i But if that creature's toughness is simultaneously reduced to zero or less, it goes to the graveyard without it being called a destruction  
  702.2c.ii If it is indestructible, it is not destroyed, although the damage remains marked on that creature
     702.2c.1a And if it later ceases to be indestructible, having deathtouch damage marked on it won't cause it to be destroyed, although it could still be destroyed if the total marked damage equals or exceeds it toughness
   702.2.c.iii This is all checked and implemented between objects resolving or damage dealing and players getting priority

Don't you prefer rule 702.2c as it is right now, thanks to legalese? 

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Real quick one here

I'm still trying to figure out the objective difference between quick, real quick and regular questions...

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)