Putting a commander in your graveyard

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I'm new to EDH.
Say I have a Mimic Vat in play, and my Commander dies.  Can I then choose to place it in my graveyard instead of the command zone, and then trigger Mimic Vat's ability to Exile it, and then instead of exiling it, choose to place it in the command zone?  Then, could Mimic vat create copies of it?
As I understand it, no, because the commander will no longer be in exile.  But i'm not a rules expert so I may be wrong.
You should be able to remove your general and leave him there instead of putting him back in the commander zone. Also, I don't think I ever saw anywhere that said if the imprinted card goes anywhere else, that the imprintee no longer has an imprint.
Mimic Vat's ability only works if there's a creature card that was exiled with it in the exile zone. If you choose to move your commander to the command zone then Mimic Vat will not be able to create a copy of it. You could let your commander be exiled by Mimic Vat in order to create tokens. Then, when another nontoken creature dies, you could exile that card and move your commander back to the command zone instead of putting it into your graveyard.

Also keep in mind that any tokens that are copies of your commander still don't count as commanders for the purpose of combat damage.
Rules Advisor
And if you Mimic Vat your general and someone later kills mimic vat before you got a chance to swap your general out of it, your general is now exiled for the rest of the game unless you use one of those few cards that pull things from exile (Pull From Eternity)
Also keep in mind that any tokens that are copies of your commander still don't count as commanders for the purpose of combat damage.

What rule says this?

What rule says this?

mtgcommander.net/rules.php

Being a Commander is not a characteristic[MTG CR109.3], it is a property of the card. As such, "Commander-ness" cannot be copied or overwritten by continuous effects, and does not change with control of the card.

Examples: A Body Double copying a Commander in a graveyard is not a Commander. A Commander which is affected by Cytoshape, or is face down, is still a Commander.

What rule says this?

mtgcommander.net/rules.php

Being a Commander is not a characteristic[MTG CR109.3], it is a property of the card. As such, "Commander-ness" cannot be copied or overwritten by continuous effects, and does not change with control of the card.

Examples: A Body Double copying a Commander in a graveyard is not a Commander. A Commander which is affected by Cytoshape, or is face down, is still a Commander.

I've never really thought about it, but presumably then you'd have to declare it was general damage if several morphed creatures hit your opponent, and your general was one of them?

Good to note.