Barbarian: Charge

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is anyone else confused by the Barbarian Charge feat?

It says they can move up to their speed and make an attack...as far as I can tell this is already the norm...does this instead mean their hustle speed and not their walk speed?

Also the Pre-Gen Barbarian is listed as having 2d12 HD at first leve...is this intentional? If so how does the Barbarian get this benefit.
8.8 My House Rules! (roll the d20) *click to roll*8.8
With Charge you move, then move and attack, so yes, it's essentially a move + hustle + attack.
I was confused by this too, but the way I read it is that on the Barbarian's turn s/he gets to move and move and attack.  

(Or hustle and attack, but since hustle is a double move, I think you can't move and hustle and attack, even with this charge feat). 

It'd be nice for the feat to read a little clearer so this move+move+attack is explicitly spelled out. 
It says that "as an action, you can both move and attack"

That means that on your turn, you can move, and then use an action called charge, that allows you to "move then attack"

So yeah, you can move twice and attack in the same round 
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
Yep.
I'm just suggesting that the Feat itself be more explicitly spelled out, so players/DMs don't have to clarify with extra work. 
I find the feat to be worded very clearly.  I think the disparity is that charge is no longer a standard action and now the character needs a feat in order to charge.
Its quite a common misconception, of basically people dont reading the feat propperly and thinking about old editions. It was completely clear for me when I read it.

But seeing as so many people dont get it, its obiously not written well enough.

I suggest:
Charge:
"Whenever you take the hustle action you can also make an attack"
Its quite a common misconception, of basically people dont reading the feat propperly and thinking about old editions. It was completely clear for me when I read it.

I suggest:
Charge:

That's actually worded much better.
8.8 My House Rules! (roll the d20) *click to roll*8.8
I agree with Keendk about the misconception and the suggested change. It's important to remember that most players won't read straight through the book and instead will read it piece-meal. Specifically cross-referencing the "hustle" action greatly improves readability.

I suggest:
Charge:

but it's not a hustle and attack. you take the shortest safest route possible. in other words, as straight a line as you can

I suggest:
Charge:

but it's not a hustle and attack. you take the shortest safest route possible. in other words, as straight a line as you can

Just add the movement restriction at the end.

What does that even mean? If route A is shorter than route b which is safer, what route do you take? In the spirit of charge rules in the past I would probably delete the word "safest".
I don't like your new wording.

The way charge is written up right now, you don't HAVE to hustle.

You could just use charge and move 30Ft and make your attack, then use your regular move to go somewhere else. 

It also means that if you use your regular move before the charge, that first part of the move doesn't have to be in a straight line 
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com

You could just use charge and move 30Ft and make your attack, then use your regular move to go somewhere else. 

It also means that if you use your regular move before the charge, that first part of the move doesn't have to be in a straight line 

Thats not how neither hustle nor charge works. Hustle lets you move your speed as an action, nothing else no strings attached (p12 how to play). Also you can split up all and any move as you like according to standard movememt rules, hustle does not change this.

Charge has no straight lines. I think you might have made assumptions based on previous editions ;) no sweat.

Thats not how neither hustle nor charge works. Hustle lets you move your speed as an action, nothing else no strings attached (p12 how to play). Also you can split up all and any move as you like according to standard movememt rules, hustle does not change this.

Charge has no straight lines. I think you might have made assumptions based on previous editions ;) no sweat.

You are entirely correct
I just assumed that everyone who would use the hustle action would do so to get extra move (and thus, use his regular move also) but technicaly speaking that was just an assumption.

Also, it is not necessarily in a straight line, but it does require you to use "the shortest safest route" which often is...the straight line. still, you're right, in the literal sense Laughing

My bad

sorry i can be such a pedantic rules lawyer at times