An ICD: Chromativore

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chromativore
Creature - Beast
Chroma - Devour X, where X is the number of colored mana symbols in each devoured creature's mana cost.
Chroma - Devour X
For each creature ~ devours, X is equal to the number of colored mana symbols in that creature's mana cost.
Chroma - Devour X; For each devoured creature X is equal to the number of colored mana symbols in that creature's mana cost. (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. For each of those creatures, this enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each colored mana symbol in that creature's mana cost.)
3/3

I'm not entirely sure on the wording of this...
I think for devour there can only be a single value of X, so you can't get a different number of counters for each creature.
Rules Advisor
so if I sacrifice elite vanguard, phantom warrior, and adaptive automaton, how many counters do you want me to get? the way it's worded, the answer seems to be 9, but you could also want it to be 3.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
so if I sacrifice elite vanguard, phantom warrior, and adaptive automaton, how many counters do you want me to get? the way it's worded, the answer seems to be 9, but you could also want it to be 3.

The intent is 3.
Maybe "For each creature devoured, X is equal to the number of colored mana symbols in that creature's mana cost."?
Two words:
Khalni Hydra 
I think for devour there can only be a single value of X, so you can't get a different number of counters for each creature.

one could
he/she just can't use the keyword devour to do it

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Devour - Chroma (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it times the greatest number of colored mana symbols among sacrificed creatures)

Taking precedent from the bloodthirst X, and the sunburst modular creature.
I cosidered that, but Chroma is an ability word that has no impact on its own, it has to specify "[effect] for each colored mana symbol [somewhere]."
True, but what else would Devour-Chroma possibly care about other than the number of mana symbols in the devoured creature's cost?
Devour X is already defined, in that commander card or something. Also you're dealing with a keyword that already has rules, you can't turn it into anaability keyword or whatever.
It could care about the colored symbols on permanents in play, like
Chroma - Devour x (x is the number of black, red, and green mana symbols in the mana costs of permanents you control.)

All wording and such aside, is anyone going to comment that a 3/3 for three in three colors is a little below power level. However an easily 9/9 for three and a creature or two is bonkers.

Though, if it winds up being the way the original post intended it, it won't count ordinary tokens, as they have no mana cost. Unless its counters equal to the total symbols per creature. Then through a khalni hydra in and its devour 8+, which is totally wacky.

I like this, but wow is there some weird issues with it...

Edit: Thromok the Insatiable is a card that literally exponentially grows, at mythic as a legendary, so it doesn't count for any sorta balancing comparison.
Devour X is already defined, in that commander card or something. Also you're dealing with a keyword that already has rules, you can't turn it into anaability keyword or whatever.

Yes, it is. It first lets you devour, then checks how many were devoured and provides a counter for each. First devouring then checking the property of each creature devoured shouldn't  be too much of a problem.
It could care about the colored symbols on permanents in play, like
Chroma - Devour x (x is the number of black, red, and green mana symbols in the mana costs of permanents you control.)

All wording and such aside, is anyone going to comment that a 3/3 for three in three colors is a little below power level. However an easily 9/9 for three and a creature or two is bonkers.

Though, if it winds up being the way the original post intended it, it won't count ordinary tokens, as they have no mana cost. Unless its counters equal to the total symbols per creature. Then through a khalni hydra in and its devour 8+, which is totally wacky.

I like this, but wow is there some weird issues with it...

Edit: Thromok the Insatiable is a card that literally exponentially grows, at mythic as a legendary, so it doesn't count for any sorta balancing comparison.

Thunder-Thrash Elder is probably the best comparison.
That reminds me of something I have in the file next to it
"Domain - Devour X, where X is the number of basic land types among lands you control"

Ok, I think I might have it figured out

Chroma - Devour X; For each devoured creature, X is equal to the number of colored mana symbols in that creature's mana cost. (As this enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice any number of creatures. For each of those creatures, this enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each colored mana symbol in that creature's mana cost.)

Thunder-Thrash Elder was a french vanilla 1/1 though. I was just saying that depending on how the chroma thing works out this could either be almost underpowered (sorta) to just crazy bonkers. The final version of the ability seems fair, because while some creatures could give a disproportionate bonus (Khalni Hydra) most cards would give relatively small bonus (1 to 3 for the average creature), and non-copy tokens would have no benefit whatsoever.