B/R/U Grixis Control

28 posts / 0 new
Last post

My whole vision with this deck is to keep it as budget as possible while being competitive. I have only used cards from Rtr, Gtc, and coreset 2013 as those from the Rtr block will be around for the next year and a half or so and the ones from coreset 2013 have the best chance of being reprinted in coreset 2014.

Thank you for looking and any suggestions or questions will be greatly apprecitated.
Bane Alley Broker should help you with draw control and huge spells
Chromatic Lantern / Realmwright / Prophetic Prism with mana management
You seem more oriented on discard than damage itself 
So I re-updated my card list to include a few things that I had forgot to move from one paper to the next. How viable do you think this deck could be? I'm open to all suggestions.

thanks

You seem more oriented on discard than damage itself 

That is the idea of a mill/control deck, to make my opponent run out of cards before they can kill me so they lose by default, and to keep them from having a hand of cards they can use against me or permanents on the table that can block what attacks I do decide to deliver.

With Evolving Wilds and Gem of Becoming, I can fetch lands I need sooner. once I get out Hypersonic Dragon I can play both sorcery and instant spells on my opponents turn, so I could Dreadbore their Jace, Memory Adept before they get a chance to mill me for 10 or I could use Slaughter Games and before their Thragtusk resolves I can stop it, they get no life from it and no 3/3 token and they have to go through their hand, library and graveyard and exile all their mean little tusks which can shut down some of those rampy decks. Then I could use a Rakdos's Return and drain the life and clean out thier hand so they have no way to plan their next move against me. Then all the while I've had out my Consuming Aberration who just keeps getting bigger and bigger while milling out their library to 0 but if they aren't out of cards yet I just wipe their field with Cyclonic Rift and swing in with my now huge aberrations and finish them off. Well anyway, thats the plan.
The only decks I should really have trouble against is the really fast aggro decks so I will probably have to switch a few things around, maybe get a few Rakdos Cackler's and Rakdos Shred-Freak's for 1 and 2 drops to round out my mana curve.
Fog Bank could help balance your cmc curve and slows down aggro decks.
That deck looks pretty mean. I was thinking of going Grixis for Dreadbore and Slaughter Games.
Fog Bank could help balance your cmc curve and slows down aggro decks.

Ill have to look into Side boarding that.
That deck looks pretty mean. I was thinking of going Grixis for Dreadbore and Slaughter Games.

Thank you, I hope it does well next week, I will post results and tweeks.
So...many...2 of's O_o

You don't have enough draw to warrant that.

Milling while doing damage is just silly. You just have a lot going on and it's not very cohesive. Gotta pick a path and really max it out.

It has to be able to survive Jund and naya aggro, as well as bant midrange and control.

This prob won't cut it at present.
With decks like this, mill isnt the win con. By milling your opponent you are disrupting their next draws and answering threats pre-emptively. There is too much emphasis on mill here. Stick to the best of the best. Thoughtscour, Consuming Aberration, and maybe Dimir Charm.

Here is how I would take your deck.
4 Augur of Bolas
4 Consuming Aberration
2 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
4 Pillar of Flame
3 Rolling Temblor
4 Thought Scour
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Dreadbore
3 Ultimate Price
4 Dimir Charm
3 Psychic Strike
3 Rakdos Guildgate
3 Dimir Guildgate
3 Izzet Guildgate
4 Island
4 Swamp
5 Mountain
1 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Desolate Lighthouse
SB: 3 Slaughter Games
SB: 4 Dispel
SB: 3 Rakdos Charm
SB: 3 Soul Ransom
SB: 2 Evil Twin

Pillar of Flame, Dimir Charm, Rolling Temblor, and Augur of Bolas should give you all you need to survive the early game from aggro decks. You have good permission with Dimir Charm and Psychic Strike.  With Thoughtscour, Charm, Strike, and Abberation itself, you have a lot of mill present, enough to make sure you Consuming Abberations are big enough to end the game quickly for you.  Rakdos' Return is your big finisher spell.

Sideboard you have slaughter games to remove troublesome cards like sigarda or thragtusk.  Dispel helps you against other counterspell decks. Rakdos Charm will serve as your graveyard hate. Evil Twin can legend rule opponent's geists and sigardas, while sotul ransom can steal thragtusks, thundermaw hellkites and anything else you cant deal with.
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
tl;dr

if you don't have the funds to play real dual lands, then you probably shouldn't be playing 3 colors.  your deck will be WAY too slow. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

tl;dr

if you don't have the funds to play real dual lands, then you probably shouldn't be playing 3 colors.  your deck will be WAY too slow. 

Unless you don't NEED a turn one play.  Still though...he makes a point.  Guildgates have screwed me in the past because I can't use them on turn 5 when I finally draw that splash color I was waiting for (limited).
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
tl;dr

Unless you don't NEED a turn one play.  Still though...he makes a point.  Guildgates have screwed me in the past because I can't use them on turn 5 when I finally draw that splash color I was waiting for (limited).

you don't want your 3rd, 4th, and/or 5th land constantly coming into play tapped.  you'll quickly get out-tempo'ed very often by faster, leaner decks

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

With decks like this, mill isnt the win con. By milling your opponent you are disrupting their next draws and answering threats pre-emptively. There is too much emphasis on mill here. Stick to the best of the best. Thoughtscour, Consuming Aberration, and maybe Dimir Charm.

Here is how I would take your deck.
4 Augur of Bolas
4 Consuming Aberration
4 Pillar of Flame
3 Rolling Temblor
4 Thought Scour
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Dreadbore
3 Ultimate Price
4 Dimir Charm
3 Psychic Strike
3 Rakdos Guildgate
3 Dimir Guildgate
3 Izzet Guildgate
4 Island
4 Swamp
5 Mountain
1 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Desolate Lighthouse
SB: 3 Slaughter Games
SB: 4 Dispel
SB: 3 Rakdos Charm
SB: 3 Soul Ransom
SB: 2 Evil Twin

Pillar of Flame, Dimir Charm, Rolling Temblor, and Augur of Bolas should give you all you need to survive the early game from aggro decks. You have good permission with Dimir Charm and Psychic Strike.  With Thoughtscour, Charm, Strike, and Abberation itself, you have a lot of mill present, enough to make sure you Consuming Abberations are big enough to end the game quickly for you.  Rakdos' Return is your big finisher spell.

Sideboard you have slaughter games to remove troublesome cards like sigarda or thragtusk.  Dispel helps you against other counterspell decks. Rakdos Charm will serve as your graveyard hate. Evil Twin can legend rule opponent's geists and sigardas, while sotul ransom can steal thragtusks, thundermaw hellkites and anything else you cant deal with.

what cards could I use that are really only from coreset 2013, Rtr and Gtc I really dont want to buy cards from the innistrad block just because when they rotate out in 6 months, I would have a bunch of holes. Other than that, thank you for the suggestions, I will have to play test with what I can for now and see what I can come up with.
tl;dr

you don't want your 3rd, 4th, and/or 5th land constantly coming into play tapped.  you'll quickly get out-tempo'ed very often by faster, leaner decks

thats why I included the fetch lands and [c]Gem of Becoming]/c]'s to get what I need, so maybe I should cut the gates back to 2 ofs on each and just use basics for the rest? Then cut the Gems but leave the fetch just in case?
How do we like this one? Better, Worse? Let me know. thanks
Seems pretty difficoult to envelop this deck. Now you're on the opposite side, it's mainly burn. Well not just burn. With 4 aberration i think you'll mill enough. 
Why the Crackler? Do you have problem with mana? use  the Realmwright
Seems pretty difficoult to envelop this deck. Now you're on the opposite side, it's mainly burn. Well not just burn. With 4 aberration i think you'll mill enough. 
Why the Crackler? Do you have problem with mana? use  the Realmwright

now its more aggro with the burn and just enough mill to keep my opponent from being able to make any plans against me. The Rakdos Cackler is there for the early game 1 drop 2/2 and IJ think that I'm going to remove the Thoughtflare and replace it with Pillar of Flame just for some early burn. and the Staff of Nin is on the bump right now, the extra card draw is nice with a free ping every turn but for 6 mana its basically a Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius that I don't have the option of attacking for 5 with. At 62 cards Im almost likely just to drop it and bump my cacklers to 4 and my cheap burn all to 4 for a total of 65, yea I know the "standard" of standard is 60 but I like to have extra options and a few more cards that other mill-ers have to chew through to stop me.
It would look somthing like this.

Lands: 23
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Dragonskull Summit
3 Izzet Guildgate
3 Drowned Catacomb
4 Island
3 Swamp
3 Mountain

Creatures: 17
Rakdos Cackler
3 Hypersonic Dragon
4 Guttersnipe
4 Consuming Aberration

Spells: 23
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Essence Backlash
Pillar of Flame
Searing Spear
Mizzium Mortars
Redirect

Planeswalkers: 2
2 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Sideboard: 15
3 Slaughter Games
2 Grisly Spectacle
2 Skullcrack
2 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Dimir Keyrune
2 Izzet Charm
2 Rakdos Charm

basically just a 3 color aggro/slight control deck that early game I use the cacklers for swinging in before my opponent has answers. using the pillars early to kill of their small creatures. then after turn 3 thats when the real fun begins burn their bigger creatures with mortars or spears. before I start burning things though I want to have out at least 1 or 2 snipes so i get to burn their creatures and their face. any burn they try to use on me or my creatures i can redirect to their creatures or them. turn 5 abberation now every spell i play not only pings them with the snipes but it mills them as well. turn 6 probably Hypersonic Dragon so I can play my spells whenever i want. turn 7 niv for the pings and the draw or if they have no flying and ive eliminated their creatures, fly in for 5 and still get my draw. 8 Bolas, 9 blow something up, 10 blow it up again, 11 bolas ultimate and its gotta be over. that would be the best way for this deck to work.

the main win-con would be damage from attacking, 2nd would be mill to a kill with the aberration, 3rd would be Rakdos's Return, and finally would be bolas ultimate to push them over the edge but sidenote if bolas didn't end it, their board would be empty and they would have no hand and by this time, barely a library would be left so attacks or burns just to put them out of their misery, insert evil laugh here.
Lands: 24
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Izzet Guildgate
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Island
Swamp
Mountain

Creatures: 17
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Hypersonic Dragon
4 Guttersnipe
4 Consuming Aberration

Spells: 22
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Essence Backlash
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear
4 Mizzium Mortars
Redirect

Planeswalkers: 2
2 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Sideboard: 15
3 Slaughter Games
2 Grisly Spectacle
2 Skullcrack
2 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Dimir Keyrune
2 Izzet Charm
2 Rakdos Charm

Ok now after input from my fnm crew ive removed the evolving wilds, and if by some chance, Sulfur Falls gets reprinted in m14 then I will pull the izzet gate as well, for now I am leaving bolas in my list but if I cant trade for 2 of him, he probably won't end up in the deck until m14 if by luck he also ends up there. reprinted Pillar of Flame in m14 would be great as well but we'll see in a few months.

thanks for looking again. I feel pretty confident in this deck does anyone agree or disagree?
1) Rakdos cackler does not belong in a control deck. He has no evasion, and no built in way to protect itself. That card really needs to be more removal, so you can live long enough for your drownyards and other wincons to matter.

2) Essence backlash? How much midrange are you running into, that you want to even RUN essence backlash in the first place? And 3? Madness. change it to dissipate instead. Counters more things, and the exile effect is very relavent.

3) I'm a huge advocate of redirect, but 3 in maindeck feels like you're pushing your luck. Cut one for the last dissipate.

The tl;dr version: you aren't really "controlling" much, for this being a control deck. you have some good wincons, but not enough ways to protect them, and not enough ways to live long enough to play them. The ways you do have to control them are narrow, and easily stopped.
1) Rakdos cackler does not belong in a control deck. He has no evasion, and no built in way to protect itself. That card really needs to be more removal, so you can live long enough for your drownyards and other wincons to matter.

2) Essence backlash? How much midrange are you running into, that you want to even RUN essence backlash in the first place? And 3? Madness. change it to dissipate instead. Counters more things, and the exile effect is very relavent.

3) I'm a huge advocate of redirect, but 3 in maindeck feels like you're pushing your luck. Cut one for the last dissipate.

The tl;dr version: you aren't really "controlling" much, for this being a control deck. you have some good wincons, but not enough ways to protect them, and not enough ways to live long enough to play them. The ways you do have to control them are narrow, and easily stopped.

It has evolved since its original inception to more of an aggtrol build. The cacklers are there as a way to get up some early targets for my opponents or early damage points to my opponents. The control of this deck really comes more form the burn spells to get rid of opponents creatures giving me the opportunity to swing in with my creatures. Another form of control is with Niv, being able to ding my opponents and allowing me extra card draw. And the redirects that you actually liked in my build are more for other control players that play oblivion ring's and detention sphere's, they think they will stop my Niv or aberration when in turn, I will re-target one of thier own. Yet another form of control is the cyclonic rift, rakdos's return combo, return everything to thier hand at the end of thier turn, untap and then empty their hand with the return then with nothing to play, they are completely open to attack or burn spells. followed up the next turn by Bolas's ultimate and its over. Just because it isnt all and doesn't mean that it isn't control.
So you know:  redirect does nothing vs oblivion ring or detention sphere, because those spells dont target. The triggered ability from them entering play is what targets, and redirect only messes with spells, not abilities.
So you know:  redirect does nothing vs oblivion ring or detention sphere, because those spells dont target. The triggered ability from them entering play is what targets, and redirect only messes with spells, not abilities.

both o ring and d sphere say "exile TARGET nonland permanent..." and at the time my opponent is casting either one, it is a enchantment spell therefore by the wording of either card, before it has resolved, I may in fact choose another target for them.

both o ring and d sphere say "exile TARGET nonland permanent..." and at the time my opponent is casting either one, it is a enchantment spell therefore by the wording of either card, before it has resolved, I may in fact choose another target for them.

Exact wording: "When Oblivion Ring enters the battlefield, exile another target nonland permanent."

Detention sphere has similar text. But see, it says when it ENTERS the battlefield. It doesn't target while it's on the stack, it exiles with a triggered ability after it resolves. So it's not a spell when it's actually targeting anything.

well that sucks... so i guess I need to add more standard counterspells, ill take out the bolases, drop one of the backlashes and add in 3 Cancel