Quick DM Question...

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a player who is asking if she can make weapons out of items she has found along the campaigne?? If it is something that is up to me...how would I go about doing this???
Weaponsmithing usually require a forge and smithing equipment. But if the PC has accessto those and you think he or she should be able to make one, sure why not. You can also ask an ability check against a DC if you want it to be rolled. 

If its mundane item, i'd wouldn't sweat it though and just handwave it and say yes.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

She is wanting to make a bow out of bones found in one of our encounters...I know she dosn't have the forge nad smithing equipment so I guess I will have to explain her need to get ahold of them....Thank you so much for the reply...
She is wanting to make a bow out of bones found in one of our encounters...I know she dosn't have the forge nad smithing equipment so I guess I will have to explain her need to get ahold of them....Thank you so much for the reply...

Okay, and here is where we come to the real questions. It sounds like you are both dancing around something, and don't know how to ask the right questions.

What does she want the bow to do?

Is she looking for some magical or quasi magical effect by using the bones she has selected? If she is looking for a particular enchantment, then you can make that the focus of your next adventure (yes the bones may be used to make such a bow, but they must be specially treated first in the blood of...)

There is nothing special she wants the bow to do...I think her point is instead of buying a bow rom a "shop" she could make one...they are just dragon bones found in a cavern....nothing special about them at all...
There is nothing special she wants the bow to do...I think her point is instead of buying a bow rom a "shop" she could make one...they are just dragon bones found in a cavern....nothing special about them at all...

Then there is no harm in simply letting her do it. The cost of mundane equipment is negligible for an adventurer after their first foray. If you and she think it would be unsatisfying for you to simply say "well then, you now have a fine dragonbone bow," you can always complicate it up a bit. Have her consult with a nearby sage or bowyer, who will recommend she treat the bones with a particular herb or oil t make the bones supple enough to be used as a bow (the cost of said herbs and oils, coincidentally, would be the same as if she had bought a new bow), and you are good to go.

Later on, you could always immerse the bow into a faerie pool, or dragon's blood, or medusa venom to give it the properties of whatever magical equipment she would like to have to fill out her character concept.
Thank you very much we are right by some woodsinger elves in our campaign right now so maybe I can work that in so she can get her bow 

I agree with what has already been said; if she just wants a bow that has the fluff of being made out of bones; I don’t see any reason she can’t have it.

It won’t break or overpower anything, and really is just a RolePlaying method to save her a few coins and have a cool looking weapon; and I am always in favor of Role Playing.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

I agree with what has already been said; if she just wants a bow that has the fluff of being made out of bones; I don’t see any reason she can’t have it.

It won’t break or overpower anything, and really is just a RolePlaying method to save her a few coins and have a cool looking weapon; and I am always in favor of Role Playing.

Hate to break it to you but acquiring a new weapon that looks different isn't roleplaying. 

But anyways there is some 4e crunch on making weapons that everyone overlooks. Check in a book called Martial Power 2. There are these things called martial practices that act like rituals for martial characters. They require a feat to be take (Practiced Study), but they allow charatcers to learn things like, Forge Weapon, Forge Armor, Fortify Beast, Temporary Fix, Master Artisan, etc.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Hate to break it to you but acquiring a new weapon that looks different isn't roleplaying. 

But anyways there is some 4e crunch on making weapons that everyone overlooks. Check in a book called Martial Power 2. There are these things called martial practices that act like rituals for martial characters. They require a feat to be take (Practiced Study), but they allow charatcers to learn things like, Forge Weapon, Forge Armor, Fortify Beast, Temporary Fix, Master Artisan, etc.

I guess that’s what you consider Role Playing.

I see it as RP due to the fact that the player is trying to take items they found in game, and use them in a way which isn’t strictly explained by the rules.  I guess it comes down to, do you consider Fluff as part of RPing.

I do, and I see this as just that, fluff. You have a player who wants a cool looking bow, but doesn’t want any bonuses or magic abilities attached, so it’s really just a common bow that has a different skin pasted onto it, and as stated above, the fact they want a cool looking mundane item means they are not “getting ahead” a lot by saving only a few coins.

I’d just give the player a DC check and if they pass it let them have it, and praise them for thinking OUTSIDE the box and not just going and paying X-coins for something mundane.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

I would allow her to make a bow out of bones found in one of our encounters without problem. 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Thanks so much for the speedy answers...I will be able to "let" her have it in confidence that I am not breaking some sort of rules... 

As the DM, it's your job to break the rules when necessary/cool/fun to do so... DMs don't break rules, they simply redefine or reinterpret them.

There are two commonly-used terms that you should be aware of, and the distinction between them...

Refluffing - This is when you take a game element such a weapon or a class feature and simply change the explanation behind it or the physical description without changing the mechanical rules...

Retooling - This is changing the mechanical rules of a game element so that it actually interacts differently than it originally did...

An example of refluffing...

In the game world, one of my characters is a shape-changing crow spirit from the Feywild who spends most of his time in the form of a crow sitting on another party member's shoulder. In combat, he takes to the air, divebombing and wheeling around opponents and slashing them with his supernaturally-sharp claws. His magical abilities are simply the racial abilities of his species.
 On paper, however, he's a pixie predator druid built for charging. The racial and class abilities of a pixie druid provide the mechanical rules elements necessary for the character to do what I want it to do.

If the end result of what the player wants refluffed makes sense within the logic of your campaign world, and the player and you come up with in-game explanations for the how and the why that are acceptable to both of you, then that's really all you need.
 Can the player give you a feasible explanation for how the character's making a bow out of dragon bones or where they acquired the skills and materials to do so? Can you come up with a list of the appropriate steps they'd have to take to do so (whether it's finding the materials, finding a craftsman with the necessary skills or simply just forking over the right amount of gold)? Do you not even feel the need to sweat the details? If so, then hooray they've got a bow made out of dragon bones. For all mechanical rules intents and purposes it's just a regular longbow no different than if they'd bought it at a shop. It's entirely possible that in your game world some cultures make bows out of dragon bones rather than wood...

Refluffing is officially encouraged in 4E, and is generally very easy to do without unforseen consequences.

An example of retooling...

If the bow made from dragon bones had a longer range or did more damage than a normal longbow (because, narratively speaking, it's made from tougher materials), that would be retooling an existing game element to make a new one.
 While refluffing something generally doesn't require much effort, mechanically retooling something does require a bit of effort to ensure that it's still balanced against other game elements of it's kind. Advantages given must be balanced out by disadvantages elsewhere or by more stringent prerequisites. To keep with the example of the bow, if you wanted to give it increased range or damage that would make it roughly equivalent to a greatbow rather than a longbow, and should probably be a superior weapon requiring a feat to gain proficiency in it. Perhaps in your game world, all greatbows are made from the bones of enormous monsters like dragons rather than wood and it's the material they're constructed from that makes them more powerful.

In my opinion, if the character is of a class that would know how to make a bow, possesses some element in their backstory that could have reasonably given them that knowledge, or knows where to find somebody who knows how to do it, then it shouldn't be a problem. Whether or not it actually takes up in-game resources and/or RP time during a session is entirely up to you and your player.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Couldn't be more wrong if you were from Wrongville on the one way street of Wrong Avenue at the wrong time.
My username should actually read: Lunar Savage (damn you WotC!) *Tips top hat, adjusts monocle, and walks away with cane* and yes, that IS Mr. Peanut laying unconscious on the curb. http://asylumjournals.tumblr.com/
Could it be? Somehow I'm agreeing with Lunar. Maybe it's just because I didn't post first and had I done so, he'd have to agree with me. Yeah, that's definitely it.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith