Which character for this party?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey char op. Its been a while. You lost weight. 

Im in a campaign. My friend is getting sick of his druid. The party is

Str/cha Warlord|Cleric (me) 
A hellblade
A shielding Sword mage

and he's sick of his wilden predator druid. He wants more strikery. We need a scout. I dont know if controller is nessecary.

I suggested: A centered breath monk. A rogue with a wis secondary. A scout. Or a bow ranger, which he is leery of. What does charop suggest?

We are at level 8, and we are allowed to use whatever material we want (although the DM might veto it randomly. he doesnt like warforged or dragonborn, for instance.) 

Archer Ranger.(Dex/Wis)
Two-Weapon Ranger.(Str/Wis/Dex)
Tempest Fighter|Ranger.(Str/Dex/Wis) 
Controllers vary in usefulness, you're not going to find a Perception/Stealth (ie. scouting) Controller without going back to the Druid, though in that party I'd recommend a real striker (Hexblades are mediocre as you gain levels).

Gith, Elf, Half-Elf, or Dwarf Avenger (Wis/Dex) and Elf, (pretty much any Dex race) Ranged Ranger (Dex/Wis) both fit the bill
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
That group lacks range, damage and control. I would suggest a Genasi Blaster Wizard or Archer Ranger with a couple of controller utilities. 
If he doesn't want to do a bow ranger, then maybe a str/dex throw and stab type ranger? 

Give him some thrown weapons and he can do both melee and range, be a striker, and he can scout decently too all without having to be a bow ranger.
Pretty much as Zath said. This party is mostly lacking Dex/Wis and Control with a real helping of Damage.

A STR/DEX/WIS Tempest fighter offers some minor melee control, decent damage and can be a frontline scout. Be a human for an extra skill and MC Rogue(Thievery) or Executioner(Stealth). 
A regular ole scout or thief could work also. 
Hey char op. Its been a while. You lost weight. 

I had a tapeworm, ok? It's not like I did for you or anything, you d-d-dummy!

*Cough*....ok, anyway.

Dex/Wis (Elf, I guess) Rogue is not all that bad, and if you're running a warlord, you'll want someone to feed granted RBA in a ranged-heavy situation.
Controllers vary in usefulness, you're not going to find a Perception/Stealth (ie. scouting) Controller without going back to the Druid, though in that party I'd recommend a real striker (Hexblades are mediocre as you gain levels).

Gith, Elf, Half-Elf, or Dwarf Avenger (Wis/Dex) and Elf, (pretty much any Dex race) Ranged Ranger (Dex/Wis) both fit the bill

Eh.... There is the Dirty Harry Build (Ranger/Seeker)

Dex/Wis Ranged Striker with a small touch of control (IE proning)

Edit: Noticed you stated he was leery of the archer. Perhaps refluff as an arcane archer. Getting both scouting (perception) and sneaking isnt really feasible on anything other than a rogue or ranger (both can be melee or ranged)  
Youre party is deperately lacking in the "ranged" niche.
I second Gunthar's suggestion for a Genasi Blaster Wizard. 
So someone who doesn't remotely fill the 'scout' archtype? Good suggestion.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Youre party is deperately lacking in the "ranged" niche.
I second Gunthar's suggestion for a Genasi Blaster Wizard. 

I see da_duke is back to make some more horrible suggestions.  Listen to Zath, Erachima, and Renzhe on this one.
Third for the Genasi blaster.

... or you could go with an orb wizard optimized for both damage and control. (Wis secondary)
Blasters are a waste of time and space.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Especially morninglord invoker blasters. They suck.

Hmm... a Dex/Wis morninglord invoker, potentially hybrid with something else (ranger, it'd be hilarious), could actually be kinda cool thinking about it...

If you're looking for a ranged scout that's not just an archer, I mean. 
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
I was specifically thinking of blaster wizards, who manage to be bad wizards and bad Sorcerers at the same time. Blaster Invokers just take on a PP and keep blasting things with radiant dazes and stuns
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
I missed the scout bit at first reading but the reason I suggested the Blaster is because that doesn't appear to be an optimized group and it would fill their holes without throwing the party balance out-of-whack. Something really tricked out would be like bringing a howitzer to a slap fight.
Especially morninglord invoker blasters. They suck.

Hmm... a Dex/Wis morninglord invoker, potentially hybrid with something else (ranger, it'd be hilarious), could actually be kinda cool thinking about it...

The thing about the Wrathvoker is that it sacrifices nothing on Control (maybe 1 Daily Power?) to deal Benchmark Striker damage
Hey Jugs,
Thanks for giving me credit for seconding somebody's idea...I guess. You must be confused.

Also, a blaster mage can still MC into a "scout" archetype class and still fluff around it.

Seekers are traps and we all know that. But a Morninglord Invoker MCed into Shaman would be quite interesting.

Also, a blaster mage can still MC into a "scout" archetype class and still fluff around it.

Wat...

Wat...

I meant wizard(arcanist). He could MC into Initiate of the Old Faith. Then he would have Wild Shape (fluff) and Nature training.

Of course if the scouting he wants to do is in a more urban setting, then rogue would be more appropriate.

Da_Duke: you are aware there is a class, best described as a woodelf with two swords, that goes by the name "scout", yes ?
The other three in the party are front-liners and there is no ranged character
(unless the warlord/cleric is an archer lazylord).

Seekers aren't traps. And you have no idea what on earth you're talking about, so please stop spouting incorrect BS.
I think he has "3.5 Druid" and "High Perception/Stealth/Speed" confused with each other. Pretty easy to do when you're terrible.
Sign In to post comments