A Detektor Blip: Insanity Counters

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dagonic Revenant
Creature - Merfolk Rogue
Dagonic Revenant is unblockable.
Whenever Dagonic Revenant deals combat damage to an opponent, that player gets that many insanity counters. (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player has more insanity counters than cards in hand, he or she loses life equal to the difference.)
His eyes bulged at a wild angle, his bald head glistened as if with scales, and something pulsated wetly against his collar. The whisper came as a mere croak, and the offer it contained was darker still. But was he not still her husband, and she his bride?
1/1

Impossible Angles
Sorcery
Target player draws two cards and gets three insanity counters. (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player has more insanity counters than cards in hand, he or she loses life equal to the difference.)
"It was said of the sunken temples of Khyo-gaath that their Cyclopean architecture seemed to shrink and expand into every dimension, or so the strange-smelling book tells me. Had their human builders learned something of the infernal geometries of the Ancient Ones? For that matter, were they fully human? I have chills that cannot be explained by the weather."
-from the diary of Zekadiah Culp
Lets make a cthulhu set, you know you want to.
Isn't having a permanent Black Vise (or almost) really obnoxious? Seems like it would take a lot of mindspace, which I guess compounds the flavour. It seems quite complex as a keyword.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
"Revenant" feels strange on a non-undead critter.  Beyond that, me likee.  *grins*
This feels like a better candidate for mill to me. As pietro notes, the life loss can get oppressive. But milling will let you push it harder while still offering a wincon, if perhaps a worse one.

In all fairness, the life loss might not be that harsh, but forcing a hand to empty isn't that difficult either. And milling seems closer to insanity anyway.

I will say that the base mechanic is neat. 
yeah those won't fit on a card

also agree on the life-loss-is-too-good thing. milling fits better flavorfully, since milling is often represented as losing your mind anyway and it takes longer to work. playing impossible angles turn 2 can make life hell for your opponent. note that, while they draw two, they effectively lose three cards in their hand if they don't want to get pinged, so it's not actually disadvantage to hit them with it. then if you hit them with a few more, you can pretty quickly get the counters over their maximum hand size.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Feels good... Do agree that mill is better. Or.... you could make the counters themselves have no effect themselves. Instead make spells and permanents that referance the number of insanity counters on players. Either way, seems fun.
This looks awesome... It's different from poison counters. It genuinely makes the game play differently.

I don't think the mechanic is necessarily too strong.

A 2-drop that hits for 1 insanity counter per turn is too strong. But if it said, "Whenever this creature becomes blocked, that player gains an insanity counter" that wouldn't be too strong.

There could be creatures that give a players insanity counters whenever it becomes targeted by an opponent, like a pseudo-shroud.

The could high-end Cthulus could have insanity touch, or ETB insanity effects.

I agree that the mechanic might make the game stressful, since it requires bookkeeping and it also makes you feel bad about playing spells. But depending on the cards that are designed around it, maybe it could work.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Insanity isn't like poison. There would be ways to remove it or siphon it off to your opponents.

Also: it's a Lovecraft mechanic. It's supposed to affect your mind and make the game more stressful, and milling doesn't really do that in the same way. Insanity actually requires players to adjust their play style to reflect the fact that they're going mad.
I very much enjoy the Lovecraftian flavor and the flavor texts.

pfff wizards with their watered-down lovecraftian horrors
Dagonic Revenant
Creature - Merfolk Rogue
Dagonic Revenant is unblockable.
Whenever Dagonic Revenant deals combat damage to an opponent, that player gets that many insanity counters. (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player has more insanity counters than cards in hand, he or she loses life equal to the difference.)
His eyes bulged at a wild angle, his bald head glistened as if with scales, and something pulsated wetly against his collar. The whisper came as a mere croak, and the offer it contained was darker still. But was he not still her husband, and she his bride?
1/1

Impossible Angles
Sorcery
Target player draws two cards and gets three insanity counters. (At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player has more insanity counters than cards in hand, he or she loses life equal to the difference.)
"It was said of the sunken temples of Khyo-gaath that their Cyclopean architecture seemed to shrink and expand into every dimension, or so the strange-smelling book tells me. Had their human builders learned something of the infernal geometries of the Ancient Ones? For that matter, were they fully human? I have chills that cannot be explained by the weather."
-from the diary of Zekadiah Culp

I have an improvement for your Insanity counters:

(At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have any Insanity counters on you, lose life equal to the number of Insanity counters on your minus the number of cards in your hand, then shuffle that many cards from your hand into your library and draw that many cards.)

That adds to the "insanity", making it more unique than just a life-loss mechanic. 
fish tank artifact building
At upkeep's start, put a fishy chip on this.
At End of each turn,
 active player losses life = Fishy chips - HandCount
 (life is not gained through negative values of life loss)
~"nothings gonna save you from the beast with 40 eyes" - micheal Jackson

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]
Insanity isn't like poison.

I wonder if this was meant to be a reply to what my comment about poison. I basically said that I like the fact that insanity affects play in a different way than poison. 
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators

I wonder if this was meant to be a reply to what my comment about poison. I basically said that I like the fact that insanity affects play in a different way than poison. 

No, it was a response to te people above you who said that life loss was too strong and milling would be more appropriate.
this rack creeps
so a player could keep up by simply drawing cards
at leat to 7

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]
Glistering Shoggoth
Creature - Ooze
Trample, hexproof
At the beginning of your upkeep, you get an insanity counter.
Whenever you lose life from insanity, put that many +1/+1 counters on Glistering Shoggoth.
"The creature is massive, amorphous in shape - and, I fear, in time. I have begun to feel it in my earliest memories, peering into my crib and sometimes following me to school."
1/1
Ugh stop being so good :/

Also, id probably do something silly like "whenever you succumb to insanity..."
Group Therapy Session

Sorcery
Each player removes all insanity counters.  You gain 3 life for each insanity counter removed this way.
"It's alright... we're there for you..."
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?

No, it was a response to te people above you who said that life loss was too strong and milling would be more appropriate.

narrow answers existing isn't the same as being balanced. in order to have answers to insanity I need cards that are either useless or weak in every other matchup.

That's an argument I could say about posion, except they didn't even bother to print answers.
Except poison is nowadays mostly done through combat damage, so things which would stop normal combat damage would prevent poison accumulation.  Not that it was a perfect answer, but it wasn't like your opponent was playing a completely unstoppable card.
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
That's an argument I could say about posion, except they didn't even bother to print answers.

right, so they balanced it so that if your opponent had no specific answers it was still balanced.

narrow answers existing isn't the same as being balanced. in order to have answers to insanity I need cards that are either useless or weak in every other matchup.

Such as any kind of life gain? Unlike poison, insanity isn't an alternate win condition.

Or card draw, for that matter. Or just playing more conservatively.
Infect was broken and everyone knows it.

Was it...?

I don't think infect was ever the dominant deck in any format... 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Doesn't mean its not broken.

Was it...?

I don't think infect was ever the dominant deck in any format... 

They just made a banning in Pauper targeted at Infect...

EDIT: And Blazing Shoal is banned in Modern.
My friend built a deck that 1st or second turn killed with infect. Pretty much always. Inkmoth Nexus broke the format because you had red burn swing to kill... Infect was weird, and the same thing that made it "balanced" (combat damage) infect kinda broke it. Assault Strobe a 2/2 infect, swing. Giant growth said creature, gg. Thats a one mana red spell, a one mana green spell, and a fairly cheap creature.

Infect kills you, automatically. No trigger, no response, no answer. Mono blue infect was freaking possible. Mono blue "combat damage" based deck? Ridiculous. 4 Blighted Agents, some control lockdown, proliferate, I win. Oh, you have an answer, counter. I win!

At least this insanity gives you the option to play around it. You don't have to cast that spell. You choose to take the life lose. Its like Painful Quandary, you choose to cast the spell and lose life. I don't see this as anywhere near as bad as poison.