Ætherize

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I attack with Skarrg Goliath. My opponent cast Aetherize. I really don't want Goliath to leave the field so I first regenerate it and then destroy it. Will that work?
I attack with Skarrg Goliath. My opponent cast Aetherize. I really don't want Goliath to leave the field so I first regenerate it and then destroy it. Will that work?

That works. Regeneration removes the creature from combat, so it is no longer an attacking creature.

To be clear: you have an effect that causes it to be destroyed?  You can't just choose to destroy it - you'd need to do something in the game to bring about its destruction.
To be clear: you have an effect that causes it to be destroyed?  You can't just choose to destroy it - you'd need to do something in the game to bring about its destruction.

Of course.

That is a lot of work to save it but yeah it works.
First: confirming ? about the order on the stack. do you regenerate then destroy or vise versa. Second does it even matter if you regenerate let that resolve then destroy?
you have to setup the regeneration shield before the creature is destroyed
it doesn't matter if you do it first, let it resolve, then destroy or regenerate in response to destroy, as long as the regenerate ability resolves first
proud member of the 2011 community team
You must regenerate before whatever would destroy it.

If you try to do it the other way around the creature will be in the graveyard already.
MTG Rules Advisor
I wrote "I first regenerate it and then destroy it".
I meant " I first create a regeneration shield on it and then destroy it [when the shield is up].
Sign In to post comments