Help wanted: Gestalt Warblade/Artificer optimization.

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, first off I've never tried to optimize a character before. I didn't even know boards like this existed but with the ominous warnings from my DM about an upcoming campaign I put my google-fu to work and wound up here! First post here, so hello to everyone.

So this campaign is being run in 3.5 and will have only two players in it, myself and one other. The DM has warned us that it will be a very intense and challenging game. He said to take our pick between a gestalt character or a race with a +2 LA free of charge. I couldn't quite wrap my head around this because gestalt has always been a big no-no in his games and LA has always been enforced. When I pryed him for information I jokingly said "You planning on taking us to hell and back or what lol", to which he replied "...who said anything about back." So with that in mind I decided I needed to get the most out of this character.

My fellow player is a warlock/sorceror gestalt. I know nothing of her build. I am a melee guy, always have been, always will. So I decided to give warblade a go. Have not yet played it, but I have played the Crusader so I'm fairly familiar with the maneuvers. For my second have I figured Artificer would go a long way for both of us.      

The area I am struggling with is feat selection. There are so many possibilities with the two classes I have taken. The direction I am leaning right now is dual wield longswords for tiger claw maneuvers which may also lead to dual wand(via wand chambers in the sword hilts) at a later time. This is not set in stone however. So the big question is, how would you optimize feat selection for this character. I will obviously end up the front line combatant as my partner is a fair bit squishier than I am. I am allowed two flaws. The university background feat is a freebie my gm told me to take from a d20book called feats. Outside sources are allowed but must first be approved.

1.-University background +8sp +2/level  
   -Scribe Scroll  
   -Human bonus feat 
   -Level 1 feat  
   -flaw feat 
   -flaw feat
2.-Brew Potion
3.-Craft Wondrous Item  
   -Level 3 feat
4.-Art Bonus feat
5.-Craft Arms/armor 
   -War bonus feat
6.-Level 6 feat
7.-Craft Wand
8.-Art Bonus feat
9.-Craft rod 
   -War bonus feat
   -Level 9 feat
12. -Craft staff
     -Art bonus feat
     -Level 12 feat
13.-War bonus feat
14.-Forge Ring
15.-Level 15 feat
16.-Art bonus feat
17.-War bonus feat
18.-Level 18 feat
20.-Art bonus feat

I've been through several builds now and at the end I keep finding myself lacking in one area or another. I realize I am not going to be able to optimize both halves of this class but I'd love to see what the fine minds here can produce. If it matters, we are starting at level 4 but I was advised to plan my build ahead as leveling in the start may be accelerated. I fear what our DM has in store hah.  

EDIT: May also be important to know my stats. I have not finished juggling them around just yet to be honest. The DM assigned us 85 points (point for point), which amounts to 15 in each stat and move up and down accordingly. This is extremely high compared to our normal games, once again telling me he has something nasty in store for us. 

do sou more want to go for damage and let the control for the sorc or go for bsttlefield control?
I suppose knowing my desired role would help greatly, sorry about that. The sorc/warlock will be soft but will have some tricks up her sleeve to avoid getting hit. I am hoping to maximize my damage to help end fights quickly. Definately leaning toward dual wield with tiger claw maneuvers and some nice infusions to boost both weapons.

The dm has never been very generous with magic item hand outs, but cashflow and downtime between games is pretty good so taking the artisan feats to supply us a bunch of gear will probably be a good idea. Been putting serious thought into the item familiar also. Cant decide if its worthwhile however.

Simple answer? I want to do it all of course! Which is causing me a huge headache trying to build this. I realize of course this cant happen and so , damage. Damage is my priority. 
Why not use some Ranger, Barbarian, and Revenant Blade to max your TWF & PA damage?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I must recommend against Artificer//Warblade. It's an awful combination.

When creating a gestalt character, one must think of the interactions between the two classes. If both give you conflicting action options, it's generally not a good idea. One will be useless. Second, you must think of synergy. Artificer and Warblade don't give each other anything. It's not a very good deal. There's also the related fact that Artificers are both busted beyond all belief and incredibly difficult to use. By that, I mean a proper, prepared artificer player comes to the table with a binder full of spreadsheets and a calculator. It's a serious pain.

If you want Warblade, I suggest Warblade//Factotum. The int synergy is great, and they don't compete with each other, with Factotum being a generally passive class while warblade is a generally active class, but you can still get high damage from things like Iaijutsu Nightmare Blade and multiple actions from Cunning Surge.

If you really want to craft, I suggest looking through Magic of Incarnum. 
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
Here's a truly nasty thought. Why not gestalt cleric//Druid?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
I keep agreeing with EA... stop it. About the only halfway cool thing an Artificer/Warblade can do is focus heavily on being a good Warblade damage dealer, and an action efficient Artificer. Try and minimize buffing time (with stuff like Rapid Infusion, and Time Stop). You can use Artificer Weapon improvements to make your item Bane and whatever other insane thing you want.

At the end of the day though, Factotum's probably at least as good at this, and not nearly as complicated. Get a huge pile of action economy, and lay the smack down.
how about cleric warblade with 2 level fightrr in the begining. with 2 flaws you csn get dmm(Persist) at level 1 the rsst of the feats should look like: power attack, imp. bullrush , imp sunder, shock trooper, combat brute( both in the complete warrior) leap attack. If you really want to overkill say you're a human from taer and take the regional feat battle jump(dont knkw the exact book but google is your friend). take a good two handed with that. a 1 level dip in barbarian would give you pounce through the alternate class feature in the complete champion

The plan with this char would be using cleric for long durations buff and persists and charging everything and everyone do death.
If you're going (Cloistered) Cleric with DMM Persist cheese might as well do Swordsage as your other side Seeron. The full BAB granted by Persistant Divine Power, and the Wis to AC and Damage (with certain strikes) from Swordsage is just a bit of gravy.
y but i personally dont really like the maneucer list from ss for a twohandedd charger.
You'd prefer White Raven and Tiger Claw together I take it?
You'd prefer White Raven and Tiger Claw together I take it?

Really, Swordsages have just about the best list for a charger. It's hard to beat. The only real thing they're missing is WRT.
y but i personally dont really like the maneucer list from ss for a twohandedd charger.

Good god, man! Use your keyboard! Or spellcheck! Or something! I can ignore a lot, and forgive more, but, seriously?
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth
EA sorry i hurt your grammar nazi senses, but i wrote this early in the morning on my mobile, while riding on a train.
EA sorry i hurt your grammar nazi senses, but i wrote this early in the morning on my mobile, while riding on a train.

I really didn't think drawing the line at aich hrrble mspleeling tu th piunt od mking it neer impossbll 2 reed qualifies me as a grammar Nazi. Dare I ask what it takes to bring in the hyperbole gestapo?
Ok, first off I appreciate all the feedback guys Laughing.

I realize artificer is not the greatest choice as a second have for warblade. The primary reasoning for it was to keep myself and compatriate supplied with magic items for as cheaply as possible. My DM, whom I've been playing games under for about 4 years, runs an amazing game. He is, however, beyond cheap with magic item hand outs. He refuses to use standard treasure tables and awards what he feels like. He doesn't use standard XP tables either for that matter. Something I've always thought strange but as far as XP goes sometimes its more than we deserved, sometimes its less. In the end it all balances out pretty well. We do aquire a fair amount of wealth and he's never given us a problem with purchasing raw materials to create our own gear. In the last campaign the warlock/sorc was an Artificer and we played through to level 15. We had everything we could want more or less because of her.

Looking at all the feedback makes me feel better about the fact I've been struggling to optimize this character. I've been exploring some other options now, looking at things such as factotum (which I love other than the arcane dilletant ability-such a small choice of spells would infuriate me with the decision of what to have ready lol). It does fit the idea of the character though. He is fronting himself as a "monster/demon/undead hunter" for hire, but he's a crook, charlatan, thief, amongst other things in the background, so having such a wide variety of skills and abilities might suit me...but leave us starving for magic gear. I had also considered such things as a couple level fighter dip, or maybe a feat rogue. I dont like psionics at all so thats out. Cleric is an option, but it would probably have to be favored soul option. As far as flavor goes I'm not much for the character that spends every morning praying with this guy.

Bottom line is, I need to be able to face some seriously tough challenges with this guy, and knowing that the minds here are finer than mine when it comes to this type of stuff I'm starting to re-think artificer. Especially since I think 6 different people have told me its a bad choice now and not one has thought it could work heh.

Thanks again guys.          
Anyway, you have a Warlock. They're the best crafter in the game at high levels. Just make sure they get a Thought Bottle.
So I spoke to my DM last night about my indecisiveness and he was so insistant that I keep artificer as the second half that it was almost borderline telling me no on switching it. He says magic item's will be even harder to come by in this game and that being able to create our own will be a huge help. He also says it meshes somehow with his developing story line that I guess hes been working on the last two weeks since I told him Warblade/Artificer was my choice.

So despite all the above feedback which I greatly appreciate, the decision stands as warblade/artificer. He's agreed to let me take the item familiar feet and invest life energy. His stipulation to the bonus XP I accrue is that it goes into my craft reserve but can carry over levels. I thought this to be a fine deal.

So, knowing that I could optimize myself far greater than this combo allows, I`m still asking for help making the best out of this choice. I am further hindering it by dual wielding because I want to go deep into Tiger Claw. Here is how I`ve started filling out my feats. Any help from here or adjustments to this would be appreciated. Keep in mind, the DM also stated that any class bonus feats can be interchanged. Meaning if I hit a level with a warblade bonus feat I can take an Artificer bonus feat instead and vice versa

1.-University background +8sp +2/level     
   -Scribe Scroll     
   -Human bonus feat (two weapon fight)    
   -Level 1 feat   (oversize two weapon fight)  
   -flaw feat    ( Weapon focus - longsword)
   -flaw feat
2.-Brew Potion
3.-Craft Wondrous Item     
    -Level 3 feat   (item familiar) 
4.-Art Bnus feat  (legendary artisan)
5.-Craft Arms/armor   
   -War bonus feat  (attune magic weapon) 
6.-Level 6 feat (improved two weapon fight)
7.-Craft Wand
8.-Art Bonus feat
9.-Craft rod   
   -War bonus feat   
    -Level 9 feat
12. -Craft staff      
   -Art bonus feat  (extra rings)   
    -Level 12 feat
13.-War bonus feat
14.-Forge Ring
15.-Level 15 feat
16.-Art bonus feat
17.-War bonus feat
18.-Level 18 feat
19 .
20.-Art bonus feat

Any thoughts and help appreciated. 

I'd still recommend making the non-artificer side Rgr 2/Brb 1/Warblade 1/Revenant Blade 5/Warblade +10. It gives you TWF free, pounce, and lets you Power Attack with both ends of a double weapon. You'd just need to be a half-elf to pull it off.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
I asked my dm about doing something like that and he said no. He thinks its very unflavorful and nonsensical from a character stand point. The most i was able to get was a small fighter dip on the warblade side and the option of one prestige class when i qualify on which ever side.

Would fighter 2/warblade 2 on one side for heavy armor and 2 extra feats be worth losing some progression on maneuvers?

If you're concentrating on Tiger Claw and TWF, huh is a build which makes those options good "nonsensical and unflavorful"? I think TWF with 2 longswords is a bad idea. Why not just dual wield kukris and go Bloodclaw Adept?
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
First, explain to your DM the concept of metagame constructs. Second, TWF sucks. It is total garbage. Don't touch it with 99.5-foot pole. Third, Factotum is superior in basically every way to artificer1 in this kind of build. It's basically the ideal counterpart for warblade.

1Well, it's not strictly superior to a warblade/artificer, a warblade artificer will simply be the artificer half pulling all the weight, and functionally wouldn't be very different from Artificer//commoner.
You can make artificier work but it will require a lot of pre palnning and knowledge of buffs, ill explain more when I get home since I'm afb but your gonna need some time and money and preplanning to really make it work (it still wwont be as good as draco's suggestion though)
Well I think at this point scrapping two weapon fighting would be a good idea. It was mostly a flavor thing I had myself stuck on but my priority is definately damage. This should help open up some feat choices as 2 weapon fighting is just way to feat hungry for the returns. The raging mongoose and time stand still possibilities just had me a little dazzled.

My dm was really pushing the artificer, but if factotum is the way to go he is not going to tell me no. Worst case it might delay our start a couple days while he refigures his story. He has however told me I am flat out not allowed to make "one of those every class under the sun" builds. I am allowed one class for multiclassing and can move into one prestige class when I qualify. Warblade is a must. Thats my own choice as I really like the class.

Now as I stated I am in now way good at optimizing heh...in case that wasnt blatantly obvious by now...but I cant understand how factotum gives me more than artificer. Cheap magic items, great infusions...I thought this would net me highrr returns. I dont doubt any of you, I guess I am just to dumb to see it.

So yeah, two wepon fighting is out, artificer is subject to change. I have one class choice available for multi and we start at level 4 as gestalt. Also one prc choice to make. By the way, do the two hander options really out damage the rediculous number of attacks tiger claw can pull off? I guess I should run the numbers when I gef home, at work on my cell right now. Seeing is believing though!
Meh. Adding a level of barbarian isn't "every class under the sun". Heck, you could even make it flavorful by "working your way up" to civilized by going Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian at level 1, follow it up with 2 levels of ranger, then go into Warblade. But whatever.
TWF isn't necessarily bad, nor is artificer.
Working within your restrictions and desires, I'd say half-elf (draconic is a great +1 LA template, BTW) with abilities 17/12/16/17/12/16. Make one side artificer (we'll get to that in a minute); make the other Rgr 2/Warblade 3/Revenant Blade 5/Warblade +10; note that only gets you 8th-level maneuvers (we'll get to THAT, too! ). Starting feats: 1) Bladebearer of the Valenar, 2) TWF*, 3) Weapon Focus (Valenar Double Scimitar), then work down the Power Attack/Shock Trooper tree.
The reason everyone counseled against the artificer is that it's the Ultimate Boy Scout - prepared for anything. Use that, but make your melee stuff your primary combat tactic. Use the artificer to make magic items, scrolls & staves for the sorcerer will be quite handy. As will Gloves if the Balanced Hand (free Improved TWF) for you.
WotC has an interesting "cheat code" - especially for martial classes - in Unearthed Arcana. Ask your DM if he'll allow you a free Intermediate Bloodline instead of +2 LA. Those increase all class-level based effects... FOR ALL YOUR CLASSES. That means they'll get counted several times for determining your initiator level, as well as boosting your artificer stuff. Two bloodline levels would affect your initiator level like this: ([Ranger levels+2] + [Revenant Blade levels+2])/2 + Warblade levels+2. That should get get you to 9th-level maneuvers right on time.
If he lets you do the barbarian level, that actually means you could take 9th-level maneuvers EARLY. Plus, the barbarian benefit is huge: imagine a Raging Mongoose (swift action, remember) right before a charge that gives you 6 attacks.

One thing you MUST remember: TELL YOUR DM what effect the bloodline will have on your initiator level. Don't try to sneak it by him.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
One thing EA is mostly right on: TWF, in general, blows goats for lunch money. The Revenant Blade is an exception to that rule. Losing out on Pounce hurts it (and any other charger build) quite a bit, though.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
To elaborate on what I said earlier I would personally use the artificier side to fuel the warblade side. By this I would look into using it to construct specialized (and cheap) gear. Along with that I would look into going to the buffificer route. Use the wands you make cheap to enable you to buff yourself using persist spell on your wands. This can be expensive and time consuming but if your prepared before hand it shouldn't be a major issue. Simple buffs such as haste, enlarge person or even blur are all great early buffs. The major benefit you have is the artifficer is the ability to access any spell up to level 4 to manipulate to your will. That means druid buffs, cleric buffs even assassin buffs are at your disposal. This will help not only your utility but also improve your combat in far greater ways then just straight warblade. Hell if you wanted to you could persist the lion's charge spell so you always could pounce. This is a suggestion and keep in mind it will be expensive and require you to preplan a bit, but that's what the artificier is all about.
You can make artificier work but it will require a lot of pre palnning and knowledge of buffs, ill explain more when I get home since I'm afb but your gonna need some time and money and preplanning to really make it work (it still wwont be as good as draco's suggestion though)

The problem with artificer is, while absurdly power, to the point of being able to give God Wizards a run for their money for the strongest non-stupid variant class, requires a truly stupid amount of work. Spread sheets and calculators are basically mandatory to bring to the table. It's a huge headache, especially if you aren't used to it. It's also likely to involve having books thrown at you.
Well I think at this point scrapping two weapon fighting would be a good idea. It was mostly a flavor thing I had myself stuck on but my priority is definately damage. This should help open up some feat choices as 2 weapon fighting is just way to feat hungry for the returns. The raging mongoose and time stand still possibilities just had me a little dazzled.

Are you familiar with the monk's ability of "flury of misses?" Same deal. Plus, a two-handed weapon is almost always superior. TWF is only anything resembling decent with easy access to a lot of bonus damage. Especially since TWF is incompatible with most strikes, I must seriously recommend against it.
My dm was really pushing the artificer, but if factotum is the way to go he is not going to tell me no. Worst case it might delay our start a couple days while he refigures his story. He has however told me I am flat out not allowed to make "one of those every class under the sun" builds. I am allowed one class for multiclassing and can move into one prestige class when I qualify. Warblade is a must. Thats my own choice as I really like the class.

Seriously, explain to him the concept of "metagame construct." It's easy to make a class with a coherent and interesting backstory that uses "every class under the sun," especially with related classes. Ranger, Barbarian, and Fighter are inherently very compatible. Just remember, if you're, say, a sorcadin, nobody in-game knows you're a Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/AbJChamp 5/Sacred Exorcist 8. All they know is you are a very powerful holy warrior with great arcane powers.

Basically, limiting classes is more metagame and stupid than "every class under the sun" builds.
Now as I stated I am in now way good at optimizing heh...in case that wasnt blatantly obvious by now...but I cant understand how factotum gives me more than artificer. Cheap magic items, great infusions...I thought this would net me highrr returns. I dont doubt any of you, I guess I am just to dumb to see it.

Well, it would, if you knew what you were doing. Artificers are complicated. They also really shine in larger parties, but seriously, they're busted if you're good. It's just that there's more synergy with factotum//warblade, and, IMO, it's a more interesting and fun build.

I also suggest getting a Quickrazor and using Iaijutsu Focus along with Saphire Nightmare Blade.
Out of curiosity, Iaijutsu Focus bonus damage stacks with warblade maneuver's? Something I had been trying to find a clear answer on not long ago actually. Wasn't sure if the attack had to be a regular attack.
To add to what EA says about the headache of playing an Artificer, consider that you'll need access to Spell Compendium and every spell published since (at the very least every 4th level or lower one anyway). On top of that every summonable creature you can possibly thing of, as well as Magic Item Compendium and all other sources for Magic Item enhancements.

You can do all of these features spontaneously during any fight. You can summon some obscure creature, buff it with some broken spells and augment its equipment with rediculously specialized enhancements all in the same fight. While this can be entertaining it can often feel like you're not doing anything other than looking up what works best for the situation.
Out of curiosity, Iaijutsu Focus bonus damage stacks with warblade maneuver's?

Yes.
Well warblade artificer it is. I think I have a good enough grasp of artificer to pull it off. The dm has also informed me that there will he enough dead time between games to accomplish some crafting.
Last question though. Im really liking the iaijutsu idea. Wondering if taking a1 level dip of factotum on the artificer side would be the best way to get iaijutsu focus? Also wondering if a 2 level fighter dip for a couple extra feats on the warblade side is worthwhile. Not sure if either of these trades is worth the lost progression?

Fighter 2/warblade 2 - factotum 1/artificer 3 is the proposed build vs warblade 4/artifice 4.
Well small change to starting build. The other player in the game happens to be the wife of the DM. I guess shes been guilt tripping him that the +4 LA on half fiend is to high. I agree. He asked if I was ok with him lowering it to which I replied "You're letting me play a gestalt character with half of it as Artificer, make the level adjustment 0 for all I care." Well that answer earned me an extra level! Game now starting at level 5. So, the above question still stands but now the starting proposals are:

Fighter 2-Warblade 3/Artificer 5 (2 extra feats for one lost initiator level)

Warblade 5/Artificer 4-Factotum 1(just to get iaijutsu focus, along with the other added benefits)

Fighter 2-Warblade 3/Artificer 4-Factotum 1 (both options-this may or may not lose me a prestige class choice later on...he's really funny on the multiple class builds-not gonna argue with him over it, I like his games to much to voice many complaints and this is my first chance to play gestalt so ill go with it.)    
If you're still planning on TWF, ranger is a better option than fighter. It gets TWF as a bonus feat without needing to meet the Dex prereq.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Seconded, and you can get I-2WF with Gloves of the Balanced hand, no real feat or attribute cost. 
Iajutsu is better earlier rather then later, especially since you can use sapphire nightmareblade