704.5h

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Enchanted Evening
Opalescence
Concordant Crossroads
Mirrorweave

Am I right in figuring that only the permanent that has been on the battlefield the shortest amount of time will survive Mirrorweave resolving if it targets Crossroads?

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Seems OK. The last object that came in play should be the one to survive, unless it entered simultaneously with another.
EDIT: forgot about rule 613.6g

But your title has the wrong rule number.

I read:
704.5m
If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except the one that has been a permanent with the world supertype on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time are put into their owners' graveyards. In the event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their owners' graveyards. This is called the "world rule.""

That, to me, means that it doesn't matter how long they've been on the battlefield, it matters how long they've been permanents with the world supertype.  Assuming at least two  permanents are becoming Concordant Crossroadses at this instant (and I believe that's automatic, as Opalescence is one and Enchanted evening is one), I believe it is a tie for "shortest amount of time it has been a world supertype permanent on the battlefield", and all go poof.
That, to me, means that it doesn't matter how long they've been on the battlefield, it matters how long they've been permanents with the world supertype.  Assuming at least two  permanents are becoming Concordant Crossroadses at this instant (and I believe that's automatic, as Opalescence is one and Enchanted evening is one), I believe it is a tie for "shortest amount of time it has been a world supertype permanent on the battlefield", and all go poof.

If that were so, the rule should read 
«...all except the one that has been a permanent with the world supertype on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time ...»
because «been a permanent» and «on the battlefield» are redundant.

Wrong rule number. Do you use an older version of the Comp Rules?

704.5m If two or more permanents have the supertype world, all except the one that has been a permanent with the world supertype on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time are put into their owners’ graveyards. In the event of a tie for the shortest amount of time, all are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the "world rule."

Since Mirrorweave gives all permanents (except Opalescence) the world supertype, they all are "permanents with the world supertype on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time", so they all go to the graveyard. Except if Enchanted Evening is the only permanent affected by Mirrorweave, then it will be left on the field, together with Opalescence, which stays regardlress as it does not turn itself into a creature. (Further exceptions are aura permanents not enchanting a permanent, like the curses, again, because they are not affected by Opalescence.)
If that were so, the rule should read 
«...all except the one that has been a permanent with the world supertype on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time ...»
because «been a permanent» and «on the battlefield» are redundant.

It's poorly worded eitrher way.  If it was not meant to measure how long it has been a world supertype, it should have been worded "all except the one that is a permanent with the world supertype that has been on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time..."

Putting the ""That has been" before the clause about world supertype sure implies that the duration of its having been a world supertype is relevant. 

Edit: doh, didn't notice that Opalescnece doesn't creatureize itself, so it there would need to be another permanent other than those three on the field for there to be a tie.
It is poorly worded and the exact intent of the rule remains unsure.
I've been convinced for very long that both Being World and Timestamp need be considered to break ties. Guess they should clarify this. In the meantime, I'm tempted to agree with you guys: perhaps only Being World counts.

all except the permanent that has had the world supertype for the shortest amount of time

much clearer wording

as to the thread title I thought 'm' but typed 'h' 

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

That may make the rule clearer for this particular case, but it makes it less clear forthe normal case of one world enchantment being cast to replace another.It's not intuitive to think of entering the battlefield as the time when it starts having a supertype.
I don't agree, send them all to the yard, except the one that has had the world super type the shortest amount of time.

I have two objects on the field that have world supertype, which one has had the world super type the shortest amount of time? The one that just entered, seems pretty obvious to me.

This really should be moved to Rules T&T (whistles for an ORC) 

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

The problem is, under normal enchant-world circumstances, the card had the world supertype even before it entered the battlefield.  It had the world supertype in your deck, and it had the world supertype in your hand.  That is most likely why they added the (seemingly-redundant) "on the battlefield" clause - because without it people would be left to wonder if the delimiter on how long the card has had the world supertype was bounded by how long it has been a permanent.
but the rule says we're talking about the permanent that had it the shortest amount of time, not the card that had it the shortest amount of time.

Permanents only exist on the battlefield and the object isn't really related to the objects elsewhere that the same card may have represented.

Yes, but as it is now it's horribly worded. It can be parsed badly.
all except the one that has been a permanent (object) [with the world supertype] (characteristic) on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time  

if you remove the characteristic modifier you get

all except the one that has been a permanent (object) on the battlefield for the shortest amount of time

which is not the intended functionality because it's not important how long the permanent has been on the field, it's how long it's been on the field while having the world supertype

perhaps the following is clearer?

all except the permanent of supertype world that has had supertype world for the shortest amount of time while on the battlefield

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

lf you remove the characteristic modifier, you get something that doesn't care about characteristics. It does have that modifier, though.
The rule was created a long time ago, when there was no possibility for a permanent to gain the World supertype: it concerned itself only with World cards entering the Battlefield and pushing out older Worlds. As such, ONLY Timestamp mattered. I see no reason to believe they changed that.

As far as I know, it's been possible for a permanent to gain the World supertype since at least 1999.  Opalescence + Vesuvan Doppelganger + Concordant Crossroads = My Vesuvan Doppelganger, already in play, can become a 1/1 Blue Concordant Crossroads at the beginning of my upkeep.