The most "auto-piloted" deck

101 posts / 0 new
Last post
What deck requires the least actions from player? IMHO - AS. You either have auras and hexproof hosts for them or you haven't.

Note that question isn't "most powerful", just "providing the least choice of tactics". Even in GG there are more tactical variants.

But - may be it's all inspired by very displeasant feeling of playing against it. Very easy or almost impossible. 
Garruk for me, it is just play creature and attack. It has very few tricks.
GG...if it's highlighted play it. If it's on the field, attack.
I'd also vote for PI, but AS is up there as well.
All the decks mentioned already are good picks, but I'd put DP above them all. Seems like everytime I play against it (which is always, I refuse to use this deck ever again after unlocking it all) the person just empties their hand as quick as possible, it's just too straight forward to do anything except play every card in your hand that's available...
GG...if it's highlighted play it. If it's on the field, attack.

I just knew that someone would come in here and show their ignorance by making that statement.

I would assume that the majority of people will say GG.  But honestly there's more to play around with in GG.  Monk's assessment of Pack Instinct is probably the most spot on.  There really isn't anything in that deck to do.  Play creature, attack.  Other than that you can Ramp, Grieves, Fight, and Pump.  And each of those, with the exception of Ramp only have a very limited amount of cards that allow you to do it.  There really isn't any deck that's as simple as PI.  Every other deck gives you choices you need to make.  Even GG. 

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Without question, GG.  Kangermu described the GG tactics fairly accurately.  It is maybe slightly more complicated in that GG has removal, but the answer to the question "when do I play removal" is "whenever you see an opponent's creature" so...not really.  The difference between a good GG player and a bad one is the bad one will sometimes hard cast a Gempalm Incinerator.  Otherwise the bad player still wins against the majority of decks ... because the deck is on autopilot.

PI is a simple deck but because it has much more limited removal and pumps, you have to make actual decisions about when to use them.  It also has builds with meaningful differences.  There is considerably more player choice involved.  
Without question, GG.  Kangermu described the GG tactics fairly accurately.  It is maybe slightly more complicated in that GG has removal, but the answer to the question "when do I play removal" is "whenever you see an opponent's creature" so...not really.  The difference between a good GG player and a bad one is the bad one will sometimes hard cast a Gempalm Incinerator.  Otherwise the bad player still wins against the majority of decks ... because the deck is on autopilot.

PI is a simple deck but because it has much more limited removal and pumps, you have to make actual decisions about when to use them.  It also has builds with meaningful differences.  There is considerably more player choice involved.  

ROFL

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I think AS takes more strategy than what some people are giving it credit for. Sure, you can load up pumping auras on a hexproof creature, but what about the times when you don't have a hexproof creature? Which aura would you play first, out of those available? Would you risk playing a Daybreak Coronet on something with only 1 other aura, and risk getting 2-for-1'd by your opponent's Solemn Offering or Acidic Slime? If you play Three Dreams what 3 auras do you get to set up for the next couple of turns? Wait a minute, planning for the next couple of turns, that doesn't sound like auto-pilot to me.

In this game, I'd have to say GG is the most auto-pilot deck, though the experienced players can find more niche uses of cards, and make the more intricate plays when they come up, those with little experience can still win a lot just by slapping down goblins and turning them sideways.

If I could include D12, I'd say Beknighted is more auto-pilot, as there's much less intricate plays than what Goblins has.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White
Celestial Light could be played on autopilot since all it cares about is it's own life total. Play cards, gain life automatically, attack with Lifelinked things.
It's light on removal, it doesn't have to worry about buffing/protecting it's creatures since it really can't, and doesn't have to interact overly much with it's opponent. Just keep your life above 40 and your opponent will inevitably die before you.

Not saying it's the "most auto-piloted"/"least interactive" deck, but it could be played that way.
All the decks mentioned already are good picks, but I'd put DP above them all. Seems like everytime I play against it (which is always, I refuse to use this deck ever again after unlocking it all) the person just empties their hand as quick as possible, it's just too straight forward to do anything except play every card in your hand that's available...

Wow, completely disagree. Some of the hardest decisions I've made in this game have been with DP. When you have no creatures to defend your self every decision is a huge one. I'll admit that bad DP pilots might just empty their hand but that is a terrible way to approach the deck and leads to many losses.
When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.
I would have to vote for PI. Dont get me wrong I dont hate the deck but when I hear the term "auto pilot" I equate that to very few THOUGHT PROVOKING dicisions. Of all the decks I would say PI makes me stop and say "HMMMM is this the right move/ right now/ for this situation?" the least and therefore gets my vote.
Am I really the only one whose going to say Grinning Malice? How bad can you mess up that deck? Hard to make a bad choice with all the removal, direct damage, and beefy haste creatures. Oh hey, look, Demigod of Revenge combos well with Demigod of Revenge, which combos even better with a Demigod of Revenge. Excellent choice, Sherlock.

At least GG and PI require a lot of battle math and require you to think carefully about when to play defensively.

Maybe it's just because I only recently returned to this game, whereas you've all dealt with it, but every time I see it played I shake my head.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Am I really the only one whose going to say Grinning Malice? How bad can you mess up that deck? Hard to make a bad choice with all the removal, direct damage, and beefy haste creatures. Oh hey, look, Demigod of Revenge combos well with Demigod of Revenge, which combos even better with a Demigod of Revenge. Excellent choice, Sherlock. At least GG and PI have battle match and require you to think carefully about when to play defensively. Maybe it's just because I only recently returned to this game, whereas you've all dealt with it, but every time I see it played I shake my head.

GM is a very close second to PI IMO, only because in 2hg the discard mechanics and who to target and when adds a little wrinkle. PIs flow on the other hand basicly remains unchanged no matter the format.
I would have to vote for PI. Dont get me wrong I dont hate the deck but when I hear the term "auto pilot" I equate that to very few THOUGHT PROVOKING dicisions. Of all the decks I would say PI makes me stop and say "HMMMM is this the right move/ right now/ for this situation?" the least and therefore gets my vote.

See, I would put Celestial Light in a similar... light (goddammit), but the difference is, Celestial light has less to lose. When your deck is designed to have 2-20x your starting life total, who cares if you lose 20 life to a bad play?

Wow, completely disagree. Some of the hardest decisions I've made in this game have been with DP. When you have no creatures to defend your self every decision is a huge one. I'll admit that bad DP pilots might just empty their hand but that is a terrible way to approach the deck and leads to many losses.

Absolutely true. That's why I consider this deck much more elegant then CW.

Am I really the only one whose going to say Grinning Malice?

I have to disagree. I see Bloodchief Ascension as the center of this deck. And with all this fragile units - it's really tricky sometimes (but really fun as well). To rely on Demigods (if you are not playing against mill, of course) - looks ike very risky strategy.
Mana Mastery, du'uh...

And I won't accept a reply saying "but you've got all these decisions to make each turn!". Yes, that's true, but each of your options is so good with that deck (if built properly of course) that a suboptimal decision is rarely going to be a game-changer. You can just spam (mass) removal since there's so much of in the deck + you can even get it back from your GY multiple times if you need to. Also, after you're done ramping, there's really no need think carefully about how you're going to spend your mana since there's enough of it anyway.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I have to disagree. I see Bloodchief Ascension as the center of this deck. And with all this fragile units - it's really tricky sometimes (but really fun as well). To rely on Demigods (if you are not playing against mill, of course) - looks ike very risky strategy.

My point is, there's no wrong way to play this deck, if you're even semi-competent at deck trimming. The cards have so many powerful effects that, again, so long as you're semi-competent, it's really really hard to play something wrong. The skill requirement to achieve a substantial effect is seriously disproportionate. Like Splat pointed out, you can mess up with CL and it not be a big deal because of its autopilot nature. The difference is it doesn't put out nearly as much damage or pressure as GM. At least against CL you don't have an empty hand and destroyed lands while looking at recurring fatties and lifegain and direct damage.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Mana Mastery, du'uh... And I won't accept a reply saying "but you've got all these decisions to make each turn!". Yes, that's true, but each of your options is so good with that deck (if built properly of course) that a suboptimal decision is rarely going to be a game-changer. You can just spam (mass) removal since there's so much of in the deck + you can even get it back from your GY multiple times if you need to. Also, after you're done ramping, there's really no need think carefully about how you're going to spend your mana since there's enough of it anyway.

Vindicate and Maelstrom Pulse target (most) any permanent and therefore require thought though...

Your experiences still don't derive from the fact that the deck has 1 win con 95% of the time, just mill them ASAP and win, that's all it is almost every single match in 1v1, in 2HG it's obviously a bit different but in 1v1 it's all about that turbo-mill, which takes very little thought and interaction IMO.

Your experiences still don't derive from the fact that the deck has 1 win con 95% of the time, just mill them ASAP and win, that's all it is almost every single match in 1v1, in 2HG it's obviously a bit different but in 1v1 it's all about that turbo-mill, which takes very little thought and interaction IMO.

Counterspells and bounce would like to argue that the deck is a little more than just mill/mill/mill/mill.

You're a lose cannon.

Never played turbo-mill and still got rather good results. It's consideraby more risky then with most decks, but there is also more fun)

Counterspells and bounce would like to argue that the deck is a little more than just mill/mill/mill/mill.

2 counters and 6 bounces (2 of which are creatures) total, all there for the same purpose. To delay the inevitable. Honestly, how often does this deck win with creatures? Unless you get a lucky Body Double or some Jace's Phantasms to stick you're really just mill/mill/mill/mill all game.

2 counters and 6 bounces (2 of which are creatures) total, all there for the same purpose. To delay the inevitable. Honestly, how often does this deck win with creatures? Unless you get a lucky Body Double or some Jace's Phantasms to stick you're really just mill/mill/mill/mill all game.

3 counters)

All my mill cards: 1 tome scour, 2 mind sculpt, 1 archive trap, 2 chancellors, 2 crabs. As a rule at least one of them is in initial hand with at least 1 fantom. So it's relatively easy to have 5/5 phantom at turn 4 (maximum). Main task - to defend it. Yes, it isn't simple. But - at least for me - proved to be effective.

3 counters)

All my mill cards: 1 tome scour, 2 mind sculpt, 1 archive trap, 2 chancellors, 2 crabs. As a rule at least one of them is in initial hand with at least 1 fantom. So it's relatively easy to have 5/5 phantom at turn 4 (maximum). Main task - to defend it. Yes, it isn't simple. But - at least for me - proved to be effective.

That's still basing your entire strategy around 1 maybe 2 creatures all game, (3 or 4 if you're really lucky) which is hardly ever enough to outrace pretty much any deck in the damage race. I don't see how anything not mill would be remotely effective in 1v1, but I guess this discussion isn't about that. Basically as I see it, you just use every single mill card in your hand, then drop your 1 or 2 maybe 3 creatures and try to stall til you get enough to mill them out or miraculously damage them to death, not exactly difficult or brain flexing.

3 counters)

That's still basing your entire strategy around 1 maybe 2 creatures all game, (3 or 4 if you're really lucky) which is hardly ever enough to outrace pretty much any deck in the damage race. I don't see how anything not mill would be remotely effective in 1v1, but I guess this discussion isn't about that. Basically as I see it, you just use every single mill card in your hand, then drop your 1 or 2 maybe 3 creatures and try to stall til you get enough to mill them out or miraculously damage them to death, not exactly difficult or brain flexing.

I'd actually have to say this takes 2nd then, seeing as PI is really just play creature, attack, more creatures, attack. But I won't deny mill has the biggest luck draws going for it....
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"

3 counters)

I hope you run the Swords, which I don't see why they wouldn't be considered mill.
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp2013/ Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/ I am Blue/White

Don't most of the decks have a win-con of damage 100% of the time? 

Why all the hate for DP? Several times people have outright quit because they think that DP is a "noob deck". I just don't understand it. A mill deck is just like a burn deck or an aggro deck except that instead of targeting your 20 hit point life total i'm targeting your library (which can be close to 80 cards sometimes). Mill isn't auto-pilot and certainly isn't a noob deck. 

Knowing when to counter, when to bounce, when to take the hit, when to chump, and even when to mill is not easy street. (several times i've managed to trick people into dying against my phantasm with an instant Thought Scour milling my 10th card.) Remember that every turn a mill deck is countering or bouncing they're not actually milling you. Those people you describe as just auto-emptying their hand sound ridiculous. A good blue deck and a good mill deck have to really time their plays right since they don't have the creatures of burn to waste. 

My theory on mill hate is that people hate to see good cards thrown away. Certainyly this can be frusting but no deck is built on only a couple cards. If you construct your deck correctly then mill isn't going to hurt you that much. Sure some of your good cards might be milled away but so might mana flood or some of your sub par cards. Many times the tubro-mill build will actually give you more cards then you normally would have. Many times I love playing against a mill deck since they often end up helping me more then themselves or their teammate.

For someone who rarely posts, I'd like to hear more of what this guy (Forehand0) has to say.  He sounds smart.

You're a lose cannon.

Don't most of the decks have a win-con of damage 100% of the time? 

Why all the hate for DP? Several times people have outright quit because they think that DP is a "noob deck". I just don't understand it. A mill deck is just like a burn deck or an aggro deck except that instead of targeting your 20 hit point life total i'm targeting your library (which can be close to 80 cards sometimes). Mill isn't auto-pilot and certainly isn't a noob deck. 

Knowing when to counter, when to bounce, when to take the hit, when to chump, and even when to mill is not easy street. (several times i've managed to trick people into dying against my phantasm with an instant Thought Scour milling my 10th card.) Remember that every turn a mill deck is countering or bouncing they're not actually milling you. Those people you describe as just auto-emptying their hand sound ridiculous. A good blue deck and a good mill deck have to really time their plays right since they don't have the creatures of burn to waste. 

My theory on mill hate is that people hate to see good cards thrown away. Certainyly this can be frusting but no deck is built on only a couple cards. If you construct your deck correctly then mill isn't going to hurt you that much. Sure some of your good cards might be milled away but so might mana flood or some of your sub par cards. Many times the tubro-mill build will actually give you more cards then you normally would have. Many times I love playing against a mill deck since they often end up helping me more then themselves or their teammate.

First of all, I'm the only person in this thread "hating" on mill, don't get your panties in a bunch. Second, I definitely don't quit out pretty much ever when I'm playing against it, honestly I think it's the worst deck in the game as far as 1v1 goes, I lose to it maybe 1 in 10 games. I just see the same thing almost every single time I play against. (Even 60 carders do this most of the time)

1. Use all mill cards asap
2. Drop your few creatures
3. Stall for a bit with the limited bounce/counters (sometimes this comes before step 2)
4. Quit out when your hand is empty and my library is still half-full and you have no creatures left

I mean I'm sure I'm simplifying some things a bit, but this is honestly what happens 90% of the time I play against it, which leads me to believe it's the most auto-pilotey deck in the game. Mill, creatures, stall, mill a bit more, quit. And even the 1/10 games that I do lose against it, it's usually because of a turn 5 (or 4) Traumatize followed by a couple more mill cards to finish me off. It just seems so straight-forward and too easy to pilot, hence the reason I can't stand playing with or against it, not because it's actually any good. (It's terrible)

That's still basing your entire strategy around 1 maybe 2 creatures all game, (3 or 4 if you're really lucky) which is hardly ever enough to outrace pretty much any deck in the damage race.

Exactly. And that's why it's so exciting. Really unique style) The main idea of this deck (imho) - sabotage. With carefully planned counters, bounces and tappings (two manipulators, 3 chills and 1 sleep) you can do almost anything. If your planning is good, you really don't (in most cases) care what kind of monsters stare at you from other side.
Basically as I see it, you just use every single mill card in your hand

usually only one is enough
then drop your 1 or 2 maybe 3 creatures

one phantasm is enough too
miraculously damage them to death

nothing miraclous about 5 for 4 turns
which is hardly ever enough to outrace pretty much any deck in the damage race.

not exactly difficult or brain flexing.

no offence, but I think that it's some contradiction here
 That's still basing your entire strategy around 1 maybe 2 creatures all game, (3 or 4 if you're really lucky) which is hardly ever enough to outrace pretty much any deck in the damage race.

Exactly. And that's why it's so exciting. Really unique style) The main idea of this deck (imho) - sabotage. With carefully planned counters, bounces and tappings (two manipulators, 3 chills and 1 sleep) you can do almost anything. If your planning is good, you really don't (in most cases) care what kind of monsters stare at you from other side.
Basically as I see it, you just use every single mill card in your hand

usually only one is enough
then drop your 1 or 2 maybe 3 creatures

one phantasm is enough too
miraculously damage them to death

nothing miraclous about 5 for 4 turns
which is hardly ever enough to outrace pretty much any deck in the damage race.

not exactly difficult or brain flexing.

no offence, but I think that it's some contradiction here

Good luck protecting 1 Phantasm against this meta, and having it swing for 4 turns straight? Good luck with that too. I can't remember the last time I lost to a single Phantasm, if ever?
Good luck protecting 1 Phantasm against this meta, and having it swing for 4 turns straight? Good luck with that too. I can't remember the last time I lost to a single Phantasm, if ever?

So it isn't so easy after all) Sure it's hypothetical situation and Clones, Doubles, Control and (but not least) Sword are still there. Ah, whatever. I'm saying about my experience, you're saying about yours. I just'd like to point that "3. Stall for a bit with the limited bounce/counters (sometimes this comes before step 2)" requires very careful planning and rather good knowledge about your opponent's particular deck (that is partly provided by milled cards). It doesn't look like auto-play at all to me. But, as I said - it's only my expeience.

Hey!

What is the auto pilot deck?

poison, I must disagree. I never find myself in any kind of auto pilot mode when playing GM.

To all those who say in 1v1 you can auto pilot a DP deck to win I say work on improving the decks you lost with.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

I can't believe this thread developed so much. There is no "auto-pilot", even one like PI or GG or even DP, heck not even ED.

The skill on this game comes from knowing what to play and when to play it, and also from building a good deck. So whoever says that 1 deck is played by casting w/e is highlighted like DP, or just attack with w/e you have like PI or GG, it's a complete idiot.

I play DP and I do not want to empty my hands sometimes, it could be cuz putting he muse might slow down my mill. Or when playing PI I might not want to attack cuz I rather block and primal growth to kill a big threat.
poison, I must disagree. I never find myself in any kind of auto pilot mode when playing GM.

Care to elaborate on why? I've laid out a lot of reasons why GM is an auto pilot deck, and no one is refuting any of it, not even the first person to challenge my opinion. There's a lot of good discussion here. I assume since no one is providing logical reasons why what I've said isn't true, they agree with me.

I'll simplify my point again. The power and pressure of GM is not proportionate to its weaknesses or skill requirement. It requires no thought or planning to play and big mistakes don't severely hurt it. MM, GG, DP, and PI are hurt by their mistakes, and have many wrong ways to play. The closest another deck comes to this is CL, but it has nowhere near the pressure or damage output that GM has.
I refuse to use this deck ever again after unlocking it

I think this statement pretty much invalidates your opinions of it. Put some time into it and you'll begin to see what we ALL are trying to tell you.

I refuse to use this deck ever again after unlocking it

I think this statement pretty much invalidates your opinions of it. Put some time into it and you'll begin to see what we ALL are trying to tell you.

I mean I've played it a handful of times after unlocking it with various different builds and I had absolutely no fun whatsoever using it because I felt kind of mindless playing it, the only time I felt like it took skill was when I took out practically all the mill and tried to just go for as much "control" as possible, I tested it in 2HG and it was just downright horrible, I never won a single match with that build. I've seen people play it probably more than any other deck in the game for some reason, my opinion still stands. It has a couple mechanics that require some thought (if you're skilled) but as far as I'm concerned there isn't much else to do besides mill/mill/mill if you want to actually get wins.
How this discussion is even occurring feels quite ridiculous; it has to be Goblin Gangland. I mean, any deck that can win often on the third turn, but usually on the fourth, obviously takes less decision making because there are so few turns involved.

GG wins on the third turn sometimes, on the fourth turn usually, and on the fifth turn sometimes. Not many games actually go beyond that, and they can still win a lot of 'lost' games by simply topdecking a Goblin Grenade, even though the other guy had stabilized and was poised to take over the game.
As for the PI argument, sometimes the PI player has to decide to either ramp or play a creature. GG has to decide to play a new creature or spend some removal; the difference is that bad decisions by GG players usually mean that they win a turn later than they should have. Bad decisions by PI players can lose them the game outright.
Agreed. It's GG. I honestly just quit when I play Goblins at this point.