After damage is dealt - pW 2013

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
HI, 

1. how to use activated abilities( like regeneration and sacrifice) after combat damage is assigned?
2. Actually I don't understand when (what is visible criteria) I should stop combat and do this.
3. Same to  instants.
4. Could combat stage be tuned in menu not to "auto complete" but wait for user to press continue (after damage is dealt)
1) Best time to do it is probably after your opponent has declared blockers.
2) Pause timer after 1)
3) Pause timer during your or your opponent's turn during the phase you want to play the instant.
4) I think not, DotP doesn't run through all the turn phases as strictly as in IRL Magic.

General remark: turn on "Hold priority" in the settings menu to prevent the game from skipping the phases during your turn automatically if you have nothing to play.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
1) Best time to do it is probably after your opponent has declared blockers.
2) Pause timer after 1)
3) Pause timer during your or your opponent's turn during the phase you want to play the instant.
4) I think not, DotP doesn't run through all the turn phases as strictly as in IRL Magic.

General remark: turn on "Hold priority" in the settings menu to prevent the game from skipping the phases during your turn automatically if you have nothing to play.

Thanks!

1. But if i use "sacrifice" ability right after opp has declared blockers, combat damage from sacrificed creature will not go to stack. And the point is to have it. 

2. And as for regeneration - Game does not even asks for "do you want to generate" - creature goes to graveyard.  

3. Let me rephrase - I want to play an instant something between blockers are declared and combat damage is assigned. But I can not catch this moment. 
Hi

You can pause the game after blockers to play spells however damage does not stack anymore so you either deal the damage OR sacrifice the creature.
Hi You can pause the game after blockers to play spells however damage does not stack anymore so you either deal the damage OR sacrifice the creature.

Thanks. Wrong implementation of the rules then. 

And what abourt regeneration? How am I supposed to use it then?
It is not a wrong implementation of the rules, combat damage does not use the stack since M10.
And to regenerate a creature you just activate its ability before it gets destroyed (if it would be destroyed in combat, then your last chance to activate it is after blockers are declared).

Nothing will ask you if you want to activate the ability, because its an activated ability, not a trigger.
You use regeneration after blockers and before damage just like in real magic.

)))) Good to know that "magic rule". But I fail to pause the game at this mid-combat stage cause do not understand that it's time to )))
Hi You can pause the game after blockers to play spells however damage does not stack anymore so you either deal the damage OR sacrifice the creature.

Thanks. Wrong implementation of the rules then. 

And what abourt regeneration? How am I supposed to use it then?

That's not a wrong implementation of the rules. If damage were to go on the stack and you then had an opportunity to sacrifice the creature, it would imply that the damage was somehow dealt by a creature that doesn't actually exist anymore. Which is fine if you assume that all damage is dealt in the form of projectiles and you can do things mid-flight, but then it gets really weird when you consider cards like Corpse Blockade — it would gain deathtouch after the zombie spit has been launched, and yet that spit still destroys the creature.

If you ask me, the old rules were wrong and have been changed to be right.
OK. I did not know that rules have changed since last time read comprehensive rules in 2002 or something. Thank you. 

So, am I assuming correctly: after blockers have been declared (pressed "block") I pause the game  (since it does not stop automatically here)

and then play instants/abilities, regeneration as well?
Yes, that is the last time you can activate abilities and play spells before combat damage is dealt
Thank you all. Now I've got the answers for all my pending  questions.

)))) Good to know that "magic rule". But I fail to pause the game at this mid-combat stage cause do not understand that it's time to )))

I'm pretty sure this is how it works in DotP;

1. Declare your attackers, and hit CONTINUE.
2. Timer bar appears giving both players a chance to pause the game, before blockers are declared.
3. After that expires, another timer bar shows up with the words 'BLOCK' to the left of your opponent's avatar.
4. After the 'BLOCK' disappears, yet another short timer starts.
5. When that timer expires damage takes place.

When attacking you should be using your regen right after BLOCK disappears (step 4).  Here's a vid that goes through all the phases: example.
Nobody has mentioned that if you are talking about destruction/removal/damage instants, you want to play them before blockers are declared. That way your creatures can get trhu with the damage, if you wait after blockers are assigned, then your creature that was blocked will not deal damage to the player.

Also, things like naya charm that tap your opponents creatures, need to be cast right before combat phase, when the timer is moving feom "main" to "combat".
Another thing Regen only works for damage and not for loss of life, so things like Mutilate or instants like that will still kill your regen creature.
Another thing Regen only works for damage and not for loss of life*, so things like Mutilate or instants like that will still kill your regen creature.

Nitpickyruleslawyerterminologyhunter: Reduction of toughness*

I don't even want to think about how goblins would be even more potent if Ember Hauler could still trade with a creature and sac for 2 damage.  Christ almighty.
I do like how they reprinted Mogg Fanatic as Goblin Arsonist because of the new rules concerning damage not using the stack.  Can you guys think of any other examples of a card that had to be reprinted as a different card just so that players could have access to the utility they used to, but had gotten taken away due to new rules?  I'm not sure I worded that question as elegantly as I could have and I hope you understand what I'm saying.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Sign In to post comments