Pump or Buff?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm team PUMP all the way, but recently I've heard people saying BUFF.


Sorry, buffers, just like those who drink "pop" instead of "soda," I say you are wrong.



BEGIN DEBATE!
I guess Ive always used "pump" but that was the popular word when I started playing.

"buff" has gotten popular as a term for mmo's and other video games.  Doesnt surprize me that it made the transition to other games.

Out of habit, I will continue to use pump.
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
To me they've always been distinct concepts.  PUMP is when a creature gets bigger the more mana you 'pump' into it; for instance Carrion Ants, Shivan Dragon, or a creature with Blessing.  BUFF is a result of a booster that is one-shot in nature - a Giant Growth or an Unholy Strength provides a BUFF, not a PUMP.
What mark said.
I've never used the term "buff spell", and don't plan to. I have said "pump spell", though, and will continue doing so.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed


Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

For me it's always been pump
Both are just slang.  Its good to have multiple words that can mean the same thing.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

I've always used pump and will continue to do so.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
I've always viewed it as similar to what Mark said, in that they are two distinct things, but I always viewed it as "pump" being anything that only lasts until the end of turn (like instants, shade abilities, or firebreathing) with "buff" being anything permanent (like enchant creatures or counters).  
I think of "pump" as a subset of "buff": buffing is giving any positive bonus to one of your creatures, whereas pumping is specifically increasing power and/or toughness.
blah blah metal lyrics
Pump is the older term. Buff just comes from MMORPGs.

Shrink is the reverse, by the way, referring to an eponymous Homelands card.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Another voice for pump being time based and buff being persistent/static.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Another voice for pump being time based and buff being persistent/static.



That sounds good. And by "time-based", I assume you mean until EOT?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Pump is temporary p/t increase, buff is computer game terminology.
To me.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I haven't ever heard "buff" before.

If someone were to say buff I would think that could reference any kind of buff (for example giving a creature hexproof or vigilance) while pump specifically boosts power and toughness.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Pump is temporary p/t increase, buff is computer game terminology.
To me.


This.

Buff = opposite of nerf

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Buff is any positive effect from a p/t increase to giving it a keyword ability.

Pump is any heavy resource devotion to a card

You can pump up a creature to buff it. That is the most common usage so 99% of the time a pump is a p/t increase.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Personally I only say "pump", although I find "buff" unoffensive.

~ Tim
p.s. Oh and I am from the UK, so I drink "pop" and not "soda" (soda water tastes rank) ;)
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
For me n my circles, it seems like "pump" has always been a temporary until-end-of-turn thing, and a "buff" is something like a Goblin King or Deathbringer Liege.
Let's compromise and call it "puff".
"give" my creatures +1+1 or "give" your creature a -1-1 counter

Pump sounds lame, sounds like Nike bought out wizards
Buff is too RPG for me to use for a TCG
Pump is temporary p/t increase, buff is computer game terminology.
To me.


This.

Buff = opposite of nerf



In computer gaming terminology, I've also heard mezz or debuff. (Which is hilarious because Mesmer was really a magnet quack. Go figure.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Also, has anyone thought about the fact that we have somewhat precedants set in nicknaming abilities? Who can forget the Pump Knights?
I think of "pump" as a subset of "buff": buffing is giving any positive bonus to one of your creatures, whereas pumping is specifically increasing power and/or toughness.


this is basically me although I rarely say "buff" in those contexts where it'd be appropriate, instead just describing what happens.

 
120.6. Some effects replace card draws.