Standard "Zoo"

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Me again. This time I want to make something kind of like Modern's Zoo deck in that it's straight up 1-3 drops all above the curve with great card advantage. I don't know what colors though Black and Green feel like musts. The first step is coming up with the creatures.

1 Drop
Experiment One - should be a 2/2 on turn 2 every time and regenerate.
Gravecrawler - 2-power power house. Requires other zombies though
Diregraf Ghoul - hand in hand with Gravecrawler
Dryad Militant - 2 power
Rakdos Cackler - another 2 power but might not trigger evolve. not sure.
Wolfbitten Captive - flips into a 2/2 or can be pumped to a 3/3. Either way above the curve.

2 Drop
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - stops control from wiping turn 4 (ideally dead by 5)
Strangleroot Geist - 2 power haste. perfect.
Serra Avenger - just an idea above the curve but not playing on it
Snapcaster Mage - dat card advantage but requires instants/sorceries and clashes with Dryad
Quirion Dryad - if we have 3 colors, good chance of pumping. doesnt evolve Experiment though
Lotleth Troll - maybe
Wight of Precint Six - probably better in a control deck
Burning-Tree Emissary - ramps and gives a creature

3 Drop
Geist of Saint Traft - duh
Geralf's Messenger - so much advantage but BBB is hard
Silverblade Paladin - double duh
Dreg Mangler - looking very BG Zombies but another great card on the curve

Well that's the first step. I'm going to sleep on this but here's a quick quick idea

X x 5 other cards (too tired)
23 x Lands

So I'm going to sleep on this. Opinions would be much appreciated. One pair of eyes always misses something.

Loxodon Smiter is my favorite 3 drop. I cant tell what colors you're doing, but it seems like it would fit right in. 
Looks like he's running Junk. Loxodon Smiter would be a phenomenal fit for this deck. If you tweaked the lineup a little, you could have a turn one Avacyn's Pilgrim ramp into a turn two Loxodon Smiter. THAT is above the curve, my friend.
Oh man how did I forget Smiter! See! This is why I needed some extra minds. I would probably drop Geist so I don't have to run blue.. though Geist is soooo good. I don't know, I really want to find a way to squeeze him in. While dropping Smiter turn 2 would be amazing, I'd rather drop a 2 power guy turn 1. So I mentally gold fished a game or two trying to fall asleep and some quick notes I figured out.
Experiment One is nuts here.
Quirion Dryad is not. Between not evolving the Experiment and most of the deck leaning Green, she doesn't cut it.
Experiment -> Strangleroot Geist -> Dregmangler is 50 Shades of Cray.

So new list, focusing Junk (Black/Green/White)

22 x Land

SB Cards
Immortal Servitude - focusing so much on 1-3 drops, I think it would be perfect against control decks that wipe. Especially with hastey creatures. 
Golgari Charm for mass Regenerate
Lingering Souls - card advantage out the wazoo. Dryad Militant disagrees though
dreg mangler seems meh.  i'd rather see call of the conclave.  you don't want that many 3 drops if you arne't playing any mana dorks.  get closer to a sligh curve.

rootborn defense is so, so, so much better than trying to reanimate everyone for so much more mana.  works well too if you play call.

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

If you're running black and white, it's worth considering some extort cards so you have something to do with extra mana.  Basilica Screecher, Thrull Parasite, and Blind Obedience are viable.  In addition, Orzhov Charm also gives the option to revive your low-cost creatures.
Dreg Mangler seems really good to me. While it's on the curve of 3/3 for 3, having haste makes it really good in my opinion. Unless you can think of a better 3 drop above the curve like Smiter. But Call of the Conclave is a good suggestion.

-2 Lingering Souls (move to SB against Control)
+2 Call of the Conclave

What about a singleton Aurelia's Fury? Both a finisher and a way to push the final hit in. 
overlooked the lingering souls... cut them all for calls.

you have too many 3 drops without any mana dorks if this is supposed to be like a "zoo" list.  it will likely either way prove too slow or clunky without a change.

doing some extort could be reasonable if you go the route of mana dorks, but we all know those lists are already done.   

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

How many 3 drops total would you suggest? And I assume you still say Dreg Mangler is the weakest of those 3?
Were it me, Smiter would be my only 3 drop. 2 drops would be call and (maybe) chain-walker? Ash Zealot double is bleh. Rest would be 1 drops. Cackler, Dryad Militant, maybe Stromkirk Noble?

Then suppliment with burn/rancor.

But then, I don't play a whole lot of zoo.

*edit*

Depending on 1-drop and burn choices, Burning-Tree Emissary could be good at the 2 spot.

*edit edit*

I like how naya gets the two best charms.
I think Black contributes more than Red, at least in terms of one drops. But Naya gives 2 great charms and the option of Huntermaster as a final curve
the problem with black is that while it gives 1 drops, it doesn't do anything else.  black has (mostly) terrible every other drops and the removal isn't very good.  red is better since pillar, searing spear, etc. are what this type of deck really needs:  removal that can also be uesd to end the game.

theory list copied and pasted from somewhere else i posted:

junk colors are definitely going to play better with "bigger" threats, meaning you want to be in the realm of mana dorks ramping into 3 drops or bigger.  thing is, this is already how most junk builds play, but you could argue that the lists will become more streamlined now with more lands to build around.  the strength of black should be cheap removal and disruption, but black doesn't have great (aggro) removal now and the disruption isn't very well positioned either outside of duress.  however, duress would be fine in the more midrange builds of junk.

i feel like i'm rambling a bit, but i hope my point actually got through   

Photobucket

Oh you're not rambling at all. I honestly really appreciate your input. You make a very valid point, I was personally hung up on Diregraf Ghoul and Gravecrawler and the lack of a great red 1 drop; but you make a valid point in red having better removal and a way to finish. I would definitely try to squeeze Loxodon Smiter in though. What about Legion Loyalist and Stromkirk Noble? And no Strangleroot Geist?

By the way, I only play Standard so my idea of Zoo is just effective "above the curve" creatures like Wild Nacatle and Tarmogoyf and cheap removal like Path to Exile.
Call of the Conclave gives you a solid body for the cost. Burning Tree Emissary is pretty much free, and if it fits into your mana base easily, you should run a set. The shenanigans I'm dreaming up for that card are insane.
Legion Loyalist and Stromkirk noble are all fine, but dont employ immediate P/T hikes.  Stromkirk noble is less good simply because there are less humans for it to sneak by. Legion loyalist is bad by itself, which weakens it as a choice.

Unless you run a bulk of green 1 and 2 drops, Strangleroot demands too much of your mana. Even with duals, getting GG on turn two can be tricky. 

@Burning - Including Slaughterhorn as a spell made me chuckle. its a Giant Growth that can be an emergency dude. 
Legion Loyalist and Stromkirk noble are all fine, but dont employ immediate P/T hikes.  Stromkirk noble is less good simply because there are less humans for it to sneak by. Legion loyalist is bad by itself, which weakens it as a choice.

Unless you run a bulk of green 1 and 2 drops, Strangleroot demands too much of your mana. Even with duals, getting GG on turn two can be tricky. 

@Burning - Including Slaughterhorn as a spell made me chuckle. its a Giant Growth that can be an emergency dude. 

the original zoo lists from first RAV played giant growth, so i figured this would be a fine upgrade... even if it isn't anti burn tech.

burningtree emissary isn't agressive enough and doesn't work well enough with most cards in the list, which is why i don't like it.  in straight GR, fine, but not here.  i did update my list a little, cutting excess burn from brimstones and fit in loxodon smiters, 2 more lands... and somehow had ghor-clan rampager as a 2 of or something.  i figured that the zoo as is would get outclassed too quickly.

for others, i'm avoiding 1 drops that aren't good right away on their own and trying to be conscious of colors.  my one drops are mostly green, which means i can focus my m10/inn duals on being more green than other colors to ensure more 1 and 2 drops are hitting play on time.  howver, double green would still be a chore so strangleroot is out.  my 2 drops are all 3/3's, like the original zoo.  my 2 drops all should hit for 2 on turn 2.  i don't have the exact numbers or anything, but my creatures should be able to do like 50% to 75% of the total damage and then burn finishes off.  boros charm is somewhat controversial since it can't hit creatures like all my burn should, but since it hits so hard and could be used as a combat trick, it is getting a free pass.   

Photobucket

I was actually wondering if Ghor Clan rampager could find its way into one of these. The 2 cost Bloodrush isn't insignificant, and the body is good for the cost.

How often is burning bacon a Ram Gang? 
i made a zoo thread where i added a few of them to top my curve or just be more beef.  i had to break up the 20/20/20 curve, tho.

Photobucket

Seems like being able to play Cavern would make the mana in Zoo a lot better.  How about Naya Humans?

20 Land
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Stomping Ground
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple Garden
2 Rootbound Crag
2 Clifftop Retreat

32 Creatures
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Experiment One
4 Lightning Mauler
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Mayor of Avabruck
4 Silverblade Paladin
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager

8 Other
4 Rancor
4 Boros Charm 

Might as well play 8 Wild Nacatl if you can amirite?  My complete and utter lack of removal may be a mistake.  Although Ghor-Clan makes blocking pretty horrible now.  Sideboard could have Thalia, Pillars and maybe Skullcrack or something.  I know this isn't technically Zoo, but it seems close enough to discuss.  Thoughts?
If you add red you can play Flinthoof boar and Ghor-Clan Rampager and Boros charm Skullcrack + other burn
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/rCB4r.jpg)
While I kind of started the idea, Burning_Forest is the one good at deck building and actually created his own thread. I suggest this discussion be moved over to his thread as it's further in development.
The thread can be found here.