responding after blocking but before combat damage

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
if i use a card such as smite on a creature that is being blocked by one of my creatures, can i cast it so that it will resolve before combat damage and destroy the creature so that the targetted creature wont deal damage to the blocking creature
Yes. You can cast it in the declare blockers step, after blockers have been declared. The creature then won't be around to deal combat damage.
like i had explained to my opponent, and i believe that is the ONLY time you can cast it, correct? since after combat damage its no longer a blocked creature?
and i believe that is the ONLY time you can cast it, correct?

Incorrect. While it is certainly the most common time to cast smite, it is not the only time. It can also potentially be cast in the first combat damage step, the second combat damage step (if there is one), and in the end of combat step.
since after combat damage its no longer a blocked creature?

Incorrect. It remains a blocked creature until the combat phase ends.
509.1h An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.

While it is certainly the most common time to cast smite, it is not the only time.

Indeed, Smite is often used after combat damage in multiplayer games:

-Player A attacks player B with Huge Wurm
-Player B blocks Huge Wurm with Annoying Merfolk
-Combat damage is assigned and dealt: Annoying Merfolk is killed
-Player C casts Smite to get rid of Huge Wurm

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)