Who wants their 6 drop to die

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
High power low toughness and no evasion ... that's normally only for red and black, but since this cycle of cards is fragile on purpose every color is allowed to have it. Defending player has to choose whether to give you the "enchantment" or let you keep the massive beat stick.

Creature
When ~ dies, you get an emblem with "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 3 life."
9/3

Creature
When ~ dies, you get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card."
9/3

Creature
When ~ dies, you get an emblem with "At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player sacrifices a creature."
9/3

Creature
When ~ dies, you get an emblem with "Attacking creatures you control get +2/+0."
9/3

Creature
When ~ dies, you get an emblem with "If you tap a permanent for mana, it produces twice as much of that mana instead."
9/3
Why does black have a downside for you as well when the rest are all pure upside? It's Kuon's Essence when it could be Anowon or Sheoldred
To keep the power levels similar
Kuon's essence is pretty hard to get into play.
The black one is the one I have the most problems with, becuase it's so hard to progress after it dies.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I think 9 power is a bit too high even for a creature without evasion and a mere three toughness. I think 8/1, 7/2, or 6/3 would make for a better card.
Don't be too smart to have fun
he picked 9/3 because it's "prettier" with CMC 6
These are cool. Like Genesis, but with no mill shenanigans.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
You use the black one in a deck where you want to slow down the game. It was inspired by The Abyss. Maybe it's not the best thing to be combining with a massive beatstick, but at least it's more unique than just reversing the blue one or something.

mortician, five and six mana creatures are almost never played in constructed for their power and toughness alone (these would be rares, so they're not going to come up in limited too much). No one would play a vanilla 9/3 even for just five mana, it takes too long to get out for too little impact (it still takes three turns to kill someone!) Also I didn't want to make the toughness too low because it takes away the opponent's option to block the creature without giving you the emblem (plus, you don't want the body to be too fragile or you may as well just make it an enchantment and ignore the front end).
You use the black one in a deck where you want to slow down the game. It was inspired by The Abyss. Maybe it's not the best thing to be combining with a massive beatstick, but at least it's more unique than just reversing the blue one or something. mortician, five and six mana creatures are almost never played in constructed for their power and toughness alone (these would be rares, so they're not going to come up in limited too much). No one would play a vanilla 9/3 even for just five mana, it takes too long to get out for too little impact (it still takes three turns to kill someone!) Also I didn't want to make the toughness too low because it takes away the opponent's option to block the creature without giving you the emblem (plus, you don't want the body to be too fragile or you may as well just make it an enchantment and ignore the front end).

I am a heavy participator in limited, and a vanilla 9/3 for 6 is what we like to call gold (I mean Cobblebrute is a 5/2 for 4 and I have played it on numerous occassions), even if it is a "rare". Kill it now or start to lose things (either life or creatures). The black and red ones would be much more deadly than the others (the more removal colors), with the White and Green coming up next, probably. I mean... Assassin's Strike is far from good, but it does it's job. Adding the emblems just makes them SO much better.

Ideally, this would be held until late game when the board state is tied or the game is "stalled". Bring out one of these and your opponent will, and I quote, "crap themself". If the board state was equal (where attacking was not advantegeous) it is no longer so:
If they don't block, they take 9 damage.
If they trade, they lose a creature and you lose a creature. You end up with an emblem (indestructible, permanent emblem)
If the chump, they lose a creature, and you then hold the more advantegeous board state.
Unless this is Innistrad limited where Tree of Redemption (a mythic) and Chant of the Skifsang (a more reasonable common) exist.

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I think I'd prefer if these made enchantment tokens rather than emblems.

With Planeswalkers, most (but not all of them) can be dealt with before they get a permanent thing you can't deal with.
Some decks would just fold to these emblems.
I think I'd prefer if these made enchantment tokens rather than emblems.

With Planeswalkers, most (but not all of them) can be dealt with before they get a permanent thing you can't deal with.
Some decks would just fold to these emblems.

I second this.
Enchantment tokens would be much better.
I'd also make them 9/2 and probably up the cost to 7 cmc. If you made them 9/1, I'd say 6 would be fine depending on how you set it. But then the body look unbelievable... to me at least.

If you want to play with numbers, try this:

NAME -- 3CCC
Creature (R)

Enchantment when dies with an effect around the 4 cmc range.

8 / 2

2 4 6 8 are all present on the card, similar to your 3 6 9.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
We don't make enchantment tokens or noncreature artifact tokens in Magic, unless we're making a copy of something. Emblems are the only precedent we have to work with. And artifact / enchantment removal isn't used often enough to make a significant difference.

You can always pacifism, cancel, heart of light, unsummon, fog, exile, tap down, put back into library etc if you want to deal with these guys without killing them. If we're talking about limited, these emblems aren't that powerful if not built around anyway - even the generically useful blue one is hardly unbeatable.

Creature
When ~ dies, you get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card."
9/3

Think of it this way.

For :UM::UM::UM:; you either:

1) Get a 9/3 creature. (You cast it and can attack freely.)
2) Target opponent discards a card, you get to draw a card each upkeep. (You cast, and they destroy it.)
3) Target opponent sacrifices a creature, you get to draw a card each upkeep. (You attack they block to trade.)
4) Target opponent discards a card. (Pacifism or arrest etc.)

1) Too aggressive for blue. Personally, the think the CMC and the death triggers should be the only things that match. What each one does, and the P/T of each one should vary.
2) You could argue that this is worth the mana cost. Slightly underpowered, but only slightly.
3) You could argue that this is slightly worse than the mana cost, slightly but only because it would be "delayed" at best (during your next turn).
4) This is terrible for the cost, and isn't entirely blue. It's not unblue, just usually requires another color.

Of the four options, 1 is great, 2 are slightly below average, 1 is terrible. You get an average of just barely below average. Which might sound wierd, but given the versatility, is actually still too good. Again, not by a lot, but it more comprable to a charm (an expensive one at that), than a normal creature.

That's how I'm looking at it.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote: