Combat Damage and Triggered Abilities

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say both players are at 1 life.

Player A has 2 1/1 creatures.
Player B has a Souls of the Faultless

Player A attacks Player B with both his 1/1 creatures. Player B blocks with his Souls.

Does combat damage resolve before the triggered ability of Souls, thus winning player A the game?

I had a look through the rules and it seems to be this way, but I want to make sure I haven't misinterpreted anything.

Would this be the same for abilities like lifelink? If the player blocks with a creature with lifelink, but will die to combat damage without the lifelink ability triggering, does the player die?

Thanks.
Does combat damage resolve before the triggered ability of Souls, thus winning player A the game?

Yes. The player will lose the game before souls of the faultless's ability can even be put on the stack.
Would this be the same for abilities like lifelink?

No. The lifegain from lifelink happens at the exact same time as the other effects of the damage.
Thanks cyphern. I did some further research and now I see how it works. Lifelink is a static ability, which does not need to use the stack.

Do older lifelink abilities that just say "Whenever this creature deals damage, it's controller gains that much life" also count as a static ability?
Do older lifelink abilities that just say "Whenever this creature deals damage, it's controller gains that much life" also count as a static ability?

Check the oracle text of the card at gatherer.wizards.com. If it says "Lifelink", then it is a static ability. Otherwise, it is not.
Understood. Thanks for your prompt replies!
Currently, the only card that has ever been printed with both the triggered ability and the keyword Lifelink is Loxodon Warhammer. For that card, and that card only, the decision was made to maintain the wording with the (now static) keyword ability. All other cards that had been errated to have Lifelink in Gatherer were revereted back to their triggered ability functionality when Lifelink was changed to a static ability.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman