Golgari mechanic idea; Hoard

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
A mechanic I thought up of in Cazoo's make a new guild mechanic thread.
Liked it, thought I might expand upon it.

Hoard BLAH(When this creature enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a BLAH card. When this creature dies, returned the hoarded card to your hand.)

Undercity Cartographer

Creature-Human Druid Scout
Hoard a land
As long as Undercity Cartographer is hoarding a land, it has all activated abilties of that land.
1/1

Mold Maker

Creature-Fungus Shaman
Hoard a creature
As long as Mold Maker is hoarding a creature it has ", : Put a token that's a copy of the hoarded creature onto the battlefield, then sacrifice a creature."
2/2

Beetleback Glider

Creature-Elf Scout
Hoard a flying a creature
As long as Beelteback Glider is hoarding a flying creature it has reach and protection from flying.
2/1

Wicked Wretch

Creature-Human Shaman
Hoard
When Wicked Wretch dies, if it was hoarding a card, each opponent loses life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
2/2

I think there might some power level concerns, and some of the wording would be awkward to say the least (Hoard a creature with converted mana cost 3 or less? ick), but I think there's potential.
Thoughts?
Originally it would put the searched card in the graveyard and return a card with the same status to your hand when it died, but that seemed even more broken powerwise.
Interesting, it doesn't feel right for Golgari to be tutoring so easily though, especially with sac outlets.
Maybe let it take cards from any graveyard (everything ends up in the undercity) and return that card to the graveyard when it dies?

Maybe have just one that returns the card to its owner's hand and put it on an Eternal Witness's body?

Slightly-Less-Eternal Witness
Creature - Human Shaman
Hoard
When ~ dies, return the card it's hoarding to its owner's hand.
2/1

Undercity Something-or-Another
Creature - Plant
Flash
Hoard
2/3
A mechanic I thought up of in Cazoo's make a new guild mechanic thread.
Liked it, thought I might expand upon it.

Hoard BLAH(When this creature enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a BLAH card. When this creature dies, returned the hoarded card to your hand.)

Undercity Cartographer

Creature-Human Druid Scout
Hoard a land
As long as Undercity Cartographer is hoarding a land, it has all activated abilties of that land.
1/1

Mold Maker

Creature-Fungus Shaman
Hoard a creature
As long as Mold Maker is hoarding a creature it has ", : Put a token that's a copy of the hoarded creature onto the battlefield, then sacrifice a creature."
2/2

Beetleback Glider

Creature-Elf Scout
Hoard a flying a creature
As long as Beelteback Glider is hoarding a flying creature it has reach and protection from flying.
2/1

Wicked Wretch

Creature-Human Shaman
Hoard
When Wicked Wretch dies, if it was hoarding a card, each opponent loses life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
2/2

I think there might some power level concerns, and some of the wording would be awkward to say the least (Hoard a creature with converted mana cost 3 or less? ick), but I think there's potential.
Thoughts?

I can understand Golgari tutoring because Green and Black are the best tutor colors.  I can't understand "Undercity" though, because that's a Dimir place.

Rotten Lich
Deathtouch
Hoard a card (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a card and exile it hoarded it by this creature. When this creature dies, returned the hoarded card to your hand.)
2/2

The undercity is only Dimir if you go by name (2/4 +1 that is obviously but not explicitly Dimir); most references to it directly tie it to Golgari (6/9).
I guess tutoring technically fits that way, but even then it would fit Dimir better given that their mechancics are tutoring and "put this on a creature." But what's essentially just a death trigger tutor doesn't feel right for the graveyard based guild.
Well the original template was that it would tutor something into the yard and then fish it back. Which would play nicely with the graveyard guild. Let's try that

Undercity Cartographer

Creature-Human Scout
Hoard a land (When this creature enters the battlefield, search your library for a land and put it into your graveyard. When it dies return a land from your graveyard to your hand.)
Undercity Cartographer has all activated abilities of land cards in your graveyard.
1/1

Wing Clipper
Creature-Elf Warrior

Hoard a flyer (When this creature enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature with flying and put it into your graveyard. When it dies return a creature with flying from your graveyard to your hand.)
Reach, protection from flying
2/1

Mold Maker

Creature-Fungus Shaman
Hoard a creature (When this creature enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature and put it into your graveyard. When it dies return a creature from your graveyard to your hand.)
, : Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of a creature in your graveyard, then sacrifice a creature.

Stuff like that.
Better?
Entomb on a stick is probably as broken, if not more, than dredge.
Undercity Cartographer

Creature-Human Scout
Hoard a land (When this creature enters the battlefield, search your library for a land and put it into your graveyard. When it dies return a land from your graveyard to your hand.)
Undercity Cartographer has all activated abilities of land cards in your graveyard.
1/1

Entomb...
Strip Mine and kill two lands next turn, Dakmor Salvage to start the dredge engine, Tolarian Academy or Gaea's Cradle for obvious reasons, Thawing Glaciers would just be insane.
Even if it just had mana abilities it would still be Entomb Dakmor Salvage
Wing Clipper
Creature-Elf Warrior

Hoard a flyer (When this creature enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature with flying and put it into your graveyard. When it dies return a creature with flying from your graveyard to your hand.)
Reach, protection from flying
2/1

Entomb any flying reanimation target or Stinkweed Imp
Mold Maker

Creature-Fungus Shaman
Hoard a creature (When this creature enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature and put it into your graveyard. When it dies return a creature from your graveyard to your hand.)
, : Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of a creature in your graveyard, then sacrifice a creature.

Entomb giant creature, make a token of it, return this to your hand, reanimate original creature, repeat.

Overall, I feel hoard being imprint for cards already in graveyards would play better and makes more flavorful sense.
Originally it would put the searched card in the graveyard and return a card with the same status to your hand when it died, but that seemed even more broken powerwise.

not that much more

why not just stack the horder card ontop of the hording card ?
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

LXD (animation battle) - The Good,The Bad & The RA

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

I think he means you keyworded the last two abilities on Hoarding Dragon.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

hoarding dragon creature dragon
Flying
When this enters play,
 put 1 artifact card from your deck under this card.
The artifact card is revealed and not in play.
The artifact goes to your hand when this dies.
"~some call him Minos's big brother
4/4

NO WAR

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

Ice Age template for self referential exile.
The problem with hoarding is that it makes reanimator hella broken (more so than usual).
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
The problem with hoarding is that it makes reanimator hella broken (more so than usual).

That depends on the environment as much as anything, and not all the hoarders hoard creatures.

That depends on the environment as much as anything, and not all the hoarders hoard creatures.

And I'm pretty sure hoard enchantment into Replenish is broken.

You have to be careful with tutor effects. The question is, can this be put at common, at a cost where it's playable but not broken? I honestly don't know, but the history with Entomb suggests it has to be at least 3 or 4.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I think your first version was best. Though the tutor is strong.... maybe run it the same, but instead make it search your graveyard for. Then you can make this:
Rotted Mind
Enchantment
Whenever an effect you control would search your graveyard, instead it searches your library. Whenever an effect searches your deck shuffle it.
 Or:
Rotted Mind 
Enchantment
Whenever an effect would search your graveyard, instead it searches your library. Whenever an effect searches your deck shuffle it. 
Yo son - what if you exile from the graveyard? Then bitches be all up runnin' waiting for the bombs to drop and naw, no shelter anywhere in this 40 Celsius Desert. So like:

Hored Thing -When this permanent enters the battlefields, exile the card in your (or A) graveyard. When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the card to the hand.
That makes the most sense flavorfully.
Let's try it.

Hoard (When this creature enters the battlefield, exile a card from a graveyard.)

Undercity Cartographer

Creature-Human Scout
Hoard
As long as Undercity Cartographer is hoarding a land, it has all activated abilities of that land.
1/1

Runescar Rogue

Creature-Human Rogue
Hoard
As long as Runescar Rogue is hoarding an instant or sorcery, when it dies, you may cast the exiled card without paying its mana cost.

Mold Maker

Creature-Fungus Shaman
Hoard
As long as Mold Maker is hoarding a creature it has ", : Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of the exiled card."
2/2

Carcas Skinner

Creature-Elf Rogue
Hoard
If Carcas Skinner is hoarding a creature with flying, it has flying. The same is true of haste, first strike, double strike, deathtouch, lifelink, trample, vigilance, and hexproof.
2/2

Ice Age template for self referential exile.

removed from the game

NO WAR

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

That makes the most sense flavorfully.
Let's try it.

Hoard (When this creature enters the battlefield, exile a card from a graveyard.)

Undercity Cartographer

Creature-Human Scout
Hoard
As long as Undercity Cartographer is hoarding a land, it has all activated abilities of that land.
1/1

Runescar Rogue

Creature-Human Rogue
Hoard
As long as Runescar Rogue is hoarding an instant or sorcery, when it dies, you may cast the exiled card without paying its mana cost.

Mold Maker

Creature-Fungus Shaman
Hoard
As long as Mold Maker is hoarding a creature it has ", : Put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of the exiled card."
2/2

Carcas Skinner

Creature-Elf Rogue
Hoard
If Carcas Skinner is hoarding a creature with flying, it has flying. The same is true of haste, first strike, double strike, deathtouch, lifelink, trample, vigilance, and hexproof.
2/2

This is pretty much what I first suggested without the return-to-graveyard part at the end, which is mostly flavor logic. "This creature has this object. Oh, it died? That object is now gone forever even though it was probably found on a corpse in the first place."
But so far, I'm most in favor of this version.
All these "as long as" and "if" statements make me irrationally angry.

"When ~ dies, you may cast an instant or sorcery it's hoarding without paying its mana cost."
"~ has all activated abilities of lands it's hoarding.

Looking at imprint, they're not all checking to see if there's a card exiled with it. If there isn't, then the ability just won't work.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Fair enough.

Using the most recent templating, the hoarded card remains exiled if the creature leaves play for any reason.
That feels kind of weird.
Should I leave it that way or would it be more interesting if it went back to its owner's yard or hand?   
King Minos declares "if" a 2 letter word.
He is unhapy with "as long as" and demands more active tenses.
Advisors remain perplexed until untapped.

I'm for discarding hoarded cards. The game is that much more complex with more cards included sometimes in the graveyard.
NO WAR

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

I am shocked and hurt that you would rather start a new thread than bump my corpse'd thread. Tongue Out

It was nothing personal, I just wanted to see if Hoard had potential as a mechanic.
Sign In to post comments