New player looking for tips with trading

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all

I just picked up MTGO a few days ago because I missed the good ol' days of playing.  Last I played was about 10-11 years ago with some friends in middle schoole and early highschool.  I picked up the Magic 13 app on my iPad and loved playing it but got frustrated with the lack of deck building.

I've read for hours posts and articles of new players and it gave me hope for this game.  I spent hours constructing a 'wish deck' for myself and checked prices of most of the cards.  I got excited when I calculated up the total that it would cost for the deck I wanted to build (and I was being fairly conservative on cost - this would be a standard deck).  However once I got down to looking in to getting those cards is where I got frustrated.  Many of the bots that have those cards are different and I would end up with a massive amount of credits on each bot.  This in turn would not give me the cards I need because my tix would essentially be stuck on those bots I can't get the other cards I need from.  The lack of a true currency and it being forced to basically $1 lets the larger bot sellers monopolize the economy online.  What I'm getting at is one bot will sell me a common or uncommon or even rare that I want for .005 tix....and then not have anything else I want.  Where as one of the larger trading bots - say mtgotrader - will have that same card for .04 tix but have most of the other cards I want.  Is there something I'm missing or is this just the way it is?  Is there a better way to obtain the cards I want or am I going to be forced to 'pay' a higher amount so I don't have wasted credit laying around?

I just wanted a cheaper and more convenient way to play MTG considering I am nowhere near my old friends anymore, have no paper cards, and don't have much time during the day to spend playing this game, much less a ton of money to drop on this game.  I'm not looking to be competitive and I just want to have fun and build fun decks.  If anyone has any tips for me that would be great!  Once I get a deck built I will be looking for a clan or just anyone to have fun playing with.

Name is Drazore if anyone would like to add me.  I am usually online from 8pm cst to 10pm.

Thanks in advance!
That's pretty much the way it is.

The larger bots have a great card selection.  They can frequently have some of the best prices as well.  However, if you are buying several cards, it's likely that many could be bought cheaper at a variety of other bots, but then you run into the problem that you have.  So, you have two options:
1) Shop around, using up your free time (different value to different people) and find the best deal for every card...but you run into problems with leftover tix.
2) Shop at a single (or small number) of well stocked bots.  This will both save you time and cause less headaches with credit, especially if you play to continue frequenting this bot.

I'd also like to point out an alternative perspective.  You're currently thinking along the lines of "this sucks, the well stocked bots just charge more because they know we can buy multiple things from them and take advantage of that".  However, the other way to look at it is "hey, these under-stocked bots are purposely putting up a very few good cards for a good price, because they know that I'll either leave credit on here or have to buy things I wouldn't have otherwise (allowing them to sell things that otherwise wouldn't sell)"

So, depending on your perspective, it changes who the 'bad guy' is.  Yeah, fractional tix would be really cool and it's possible it might solve this problem...but it's also possible that it would just equilibrate the prices so that those cheap ones you used to be able to find would increase....it's hard to predict how the market would change.

So, yeah, sorry, not much advice here beyond what you already figured out.  If a bot only has 0.1 tix worth of cards that you want, it's probably a bad idea to shop there, because that 0.9 tix of credit will be in limbo for who knows how long (you might even forget about it).  A good rule of thumb that many of us go by is "don't leave enough credit on a bot that you would be upset if it just disappeared"

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
That's pretty much the way it is.

The larger bots have a great card selection.  They can frequently have some of the best prices as well.  However, if you are buying several cards, it's likely that many could be bought cheaper at a variety of other bots, but then you run into the problem that you have.  So, you have two options:
1) Shop around, using up your free time (different value to different people) and find the best deal for every card...but you run into problems with leftover tix.
2) Shop at a single (or small number) of well stocked bots.  This will both save you time and cause less headaches with credit, especially if you play to continue frequenting this bot.

I'd also like to point out an alternative perspective.  You're currently thinking along the lines of "this sucks, the well stocked bots just charge more because they know we can buy multiple things from them and take advantage of that".  However, the other way to look at it is "hey, these under-stocked bots are purposely putting up a very few good cards for a good price, because they know that I'll either leave credit on here or have to buy things I wouldn't have otherwise (allowing them to sell things that otherwise wouldn't sell)"

So, depending on your perspective, it changes who the 'bad guy' is.  Yeah, fractional tix would be really cool and it's possible it might solve this problem...but it's also possible that it would just equilibrate the prices so that those cheap ones you used to be able to find would increase....it's hard to predict how the market would change.

So, yeah, sorry, not much advice here beyond what you already figured out.  If a bot only has 0.1 tix worth of cards that you want, it's probably a bad idea to shop there, because that 0.9 tix of credit will be in limbo for who knows how long (you might even forget about it).  A good rule of thumb that many of us go by is "don't leave enough credit on a bot that you would be upset if it just disappeared"

Hey thanks a lot for your post.  This is exactly what I was thinking too.  I guess if I have to pay 5 tix for my deck instead of 1.5 tix in theory, at least I don't have credit hanging out there.  In the end it would actually be cheaper.

One other question is trading on some of the bots.  I have noticed that they will pick out everything I have for trade and then trade and give me credit afterward for what I have for trade and what they want.  Is there an easier solution to drop that number?  For some commons would it be better to just select a few tradable cards.  As an example I had tried trading earlier with a bot and I only needed a few cards and the bot picked out 60 cards or so and would trade while giving me a .37 credit.  This seems like a system that needs to be learned haha.

I'm just tryin' to learn the system is all...if I can buy a card from MTGOtraders and leave credit there it's all good.  But if I can then take that card to a low selling bot and trade it for multiple cards they have and I need without burning my tix than more power to me.  Considering some of the bots will buy higher than those larger bots.
You should add any bots you have credit on to your buddy list.  That way you'll re-visit the same ones.  Eventually that credit will get used up.  Bots can end their accounts at any time though, so there is always a risk.  Eventually you'll learn which are in it for the long haul (if they have multiple accounts with similar names, it's a good indicator they are more established).  I have some I've been going to since I started in 2009. 

For trading, you can usually remove cards you don't want to trade.  Bot interfaces are different, but most will pick your cards and show them in a numbered list, then say something like, "type the number of a card to remove it."  So if you straight up want to trade cards for cards, this is how you do it without leaving credit.  Watch out, though.. bots can be buggy and frustrating.  I've done that before where I've removed one card and it "re-thought" the whole trade and removed multiple cards.

Personally, I never use the "trade" feature on bots.  What are the odds the bot you're buying from has the best buy price for a card you have?  Not much.  My method is to get the best price for every card I have (although I won't chase anything that bots buy for less than .01 - those I just set to tradable and any bot that wants it can have it).  I sell cards separately from buying them and leave the credit on the bots.  This can be time-consuming, and that's where you've got to weigh time vs. money. The other night I spent 3 hours selling off extras from drafting.  Sure I had some in there that were worth a few tix, but the bulk commons that I traded off one at a time for .01 each?  Yeah I got the best price and that credit adds up, but I don't know that it was the best use of my time. 

There is a website that lists a bunch of bots' buy and sell prices that I'll PM you (can't post bot names here).  
While the top-of-the-line bots will give you a numbered list, I believe that the lower class ones that Drazore is using won't do that.  Thus, the only solution is to see what the bot wants to buy, exit the trade, and then make all the things you don't want to sell to the bot UNtradeable.

Yes, it is horribly terribly ineficient, especially when you are just dealing in commons.  Personally, it's not worth my time.  Every few months, I'll make the rounds trying to sell chase mythics, rares, and foils, looking for the best prices.  These methods work fine for that, because I'm dealing with high value cards and I stand to make 10-20 extra tix in a trading session by getting the best price for every card. 

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Hi Drazora

I have only bought cards from webshops, and never had any issues with that.

Send me a PM, and I'll tell you more or maybe add me online (Brando)

Sign In to post comments