Doubts about magic missiles

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I put "arcane admixture" fire on my mage for magic "magic missile." order to increase the damage of the same. through feats of fire , however, the "character biuld" did not recognize the same for the damage increase. it is one problem in "character biuld" or not possibly increase the damage of this spell?
Do those 'feats of fire' specify that they increase damage rolls? If so, they will not apply because Magic Missile does not have a damage roll; it deals static damage.
Do those 'feats of fire' specify that they increase damage rolls? If so, they will not apply because Magic Missile does not have a damage roll; it deals static damage.

BTW, this is intentionally designed this way. There are very few ways to add to autodamge in 4E. If there is no to hit roll, expect there to be very few ways to boost the damage. There are several ways that are specific to Magic Missle, but not many, and not for a lot of extra damage.

truth. thks guys,

but then feat which I could use to increase the damage of the same?

Almost nonexistent.  Magic Missile is a crap spell.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I'm aware of no feats to increase the damage of Magic Missile off hand, without party member support.  The only common way of improving the damage is by taking advantage of vulnerabilities...

For example, you could be a Feywarden (theme) and use a frost quarterstaff to make your Magic Missile damage cold damage, so the two rounds of vulnerability from your theme added to the damage.  Similarly, if a party member is a Morninglord, and already hit the creature you'd want a Radiant Quarterstaff and Pelor's Boon (both "items").

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

it's not the best use of 2 feats, but you could MC Artificer and swap in the L1 Daily Icebound Sigil for a few extra damage for 1 encounter.

had a player use it in the first Lair Assault to pump up the damage of their walking MM turret, but that is the very definition of a corner case.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Originally, MM in 4e was NOT auto-hit.  Apparently, thousands upon thousands of players raised a big stink about out so the devs change it to "restore the power to its classical form."  (The absolute DUMBEST change in 4e, IMHO.)
I prefer the old one, actually.

what was it again ?  1d4 ?
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Originally, MM in 4e was NOT auto-hit.  Apparently, thousands upon thousands of players raised a big stink about out so the devs change it to "restore the power to its classical form."  (The absolute DUMBEST change in 4e, IMHO.)

I agree.

what was it again ?  1d4 ?

2d4+INT mod, could crit, benefitted from stuff that increased damage rolls ...

Still not exactly a stellar power, but then, Magic Missile was never that awesome.
It wasn't stellar, but being a force damage MBA with a damage roll and decent support made it passable.

It was still a ton better than the old one.
thks for all help