A Detektor Blip: Judges

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Judge of Funerals 
Creature - Giant Judge
Entering the battlefield from a graveyard is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, Judge of Funerals fights it.
4/4

Judge of Armaments
Creature - Human Judge
Having a +1/+1 counter put on you is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain it.
1/3

Judge of Incursions
Creature - Vedalken Judge
Blocking a Judge is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, draw a card.
3/2

Etc. Just a weird little idea I just thought of. I think it encapsulates the Azorius pretty well.
I was experimenting with a mechanic like this on a new card type called rules, which were basically free enchantments. You ready to make a set with me yet?

I like how the blue one is all;
'Incursions are fine, as long as it's me doing it'.

The other two make way more sense and I like the concept.

Fight is primary in green, secondary in red. It does not belong in any other color in any amount.
Neat idea, but seems a little too... cute? 
White is generally militant though, and when it happens tertiary will be white.

Black doesn't want to do it that way, and blue just doesn't want to do it. White's all up in fighting, especially in 'enforcer' style cards like this.
Do "whenever a creature breaks the law" effects trigger for any law, including laws on cards other than the one that defines laws?  So could you have:

Azorius Enforcer

Creature-Human Soldier
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain that creature.
2/2 
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Do "whenever a creature breaks the law" effects trigger for any law, including laws on cards other than the one that defines laws?  So could you have:

Azorius Enforcer

Creature-Human Soldier
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain that creature.
2/2 

yep. that'd be the point of wording it like that.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Sweet, it is like Slivers meets Mother-May-I.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Fight is primary in green, secondary in red. It does not belong in any other color in any amount.
Neat idea, but seems a little too... cute? 

I could actually see it in white, with the flavor of dueling.

Of course, white and black don't need any more ways to deal with creatures.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Oh, I love these cards!

They remind me of the judges in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. This is a very interesting mechanic. :>

- AJD
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Damn dog. I think I know who I'ma vote for in that 2013 plebiscite, holmes. Most Creative Master Blaster Son of a Electrician who joined the Union in 1984.
This is an awesome concept. Also feels very Azorious. One of the problems I had with Detain flavor-wise is that it was too one sided. Azorious were always sorta against anyone doing anything. These laws are universal. Also I could see this crossing guild lines into Orzhov. I want to see more in this vein. PLEASE!!!!
These are awesome!

The law effects are kind of matchup dependant. Maybe there could separate Law cards (could be Enchantments, or Emblem token cards) you can tutor up from outside of the game so that you can fetch a law that is relevant to the situation.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Has some interesting design space I just thought of. Lawyers!! They could be in other guilds too.

Orzhov Lawer
Creature - Spirit Advisor
Whenever you or anything you control breaks a law, you may :wbm:. If you do, target opponent loses one life and you gain one life.
2/3

Overzealous Prosecutor 
Creature - Vedalken Advisor
Whenever a law is broken, double the punishment.
1/2

Rakdos Scapegoat
Creature - Goblin
If a creature you control breaks a law, ~ is punished instead.
Unleash
1/1

I really like this idea. Very guildpacty.

Dimir Attorney
Creature - Vampire Rogue Advisor
You and spells and permanents you control cannot break laws.
Lifelink
3/3
This one feels too strong... 
Cool Lawyer ideas! I like how they represent the Guilds.

Dimir Attorney
Creature - Vampire Rogue Advisor
You and spells and permanents you control cannot break laws.
Lifelink
3/3
This one feels too strong... 

On first read, I thought this meant you had to obey the law.
Maybe it could be:
Pay 3 life: The next time you or a permanent you control breaks the law, there is no punishment.

That would feel like a combo with the lifelink.

That could work, though I would probably make it a little more powerful too.
Or it could be worded as "... are not effected by laws." 
At first I thought these cards were needlessly wordy for the purpose of being flavorful, but the laws stack.
With all three on the battlefield, any creature that was reanimated would be fought, detained and you would draw a card. 
Groovy.
Can a law be enacted twice? Say I have two judge of incursions. Do I get to draw four cards?

The second one bothers me, because "You" always refers to players, but here's it's supposed to be creatures. But might work on both, although the second ability leaves you to believe otherwise.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Can a law be enacted twice? Say I have two judge of incursions. Do I get to draw four cards?

The second one bothers me, because "You" always refers to players, but here's it's supposed to be creatures. But might work on both, although the second ability leaves you to believe otherwise.

Yes, each Judge will enforce each law each time it's broken.

I had some difficulty deciding what word to pick, but I thought that the context makes it pretty clear that it refers to the creature in question. What terminology would you use?
I would word it this way:

Whenever a creature attacks, it breaks the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, the next spell that creature's controller casts this game costs more to cast.

Creatures you control can't break the law.

Each creature breaks the law.

If a creature would break the law, it breaks the law twice instead. 

What's wrong with just "whenever a judge creature is blocked, that creature's controller draws a card"?

and this sadly reminds me of that dready movie Dredd.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
What's wrong with just "whenever a judge creature is blocked, that creature's controller draws a card"?

and this sadly reminds me of that dready movie Dredd.

Because you would also draw a card if a +1/+1 is placed on a creature.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Detektor, I'm participating in this online community set design called Suvnica, where we try to create reverse versions of each Guild. Would you mind if I suggested using a version of this mechanic for the BW guild in that project, with full credit to you?

Detektor, I'm participating in this online community set design called Suvnica, where we try to create reverse versions of each Guild. Would you mind if I suggested using a version of this mechanic for the BW guild in that project, with full credit to you?

I would be honoured.

I would be honoured.

Thanks, Detektor.
I posted your mechanic here.
goblinartisans.blogspot.jp/2013/06/suvni...
Sign In to post comments