Planeswalker hate, design and discussion

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
I like Planeswalkers, they're cool and fun and powerful.
I hate playing against Planeswalkers when I don't have outs for them.
To that end, I've thought about different ways colors and combos might be able to face them.

Disrobe

Instant
Uncommon
Choose one - destroy target artifact or enchantment, or remove all counters from target permanent.
It is better to die than be made an example of.

-I'm not sure how much design space black has for ripping counters off of things, but I think we might be able to open it up more by spreading the love into gold.

Death Sentence

Enchantment
Rare
When Death Sentence enters the battlefield, name a creature or Planeswalker
, sacrifice Death Sentence: Destroy target permanent with the chosen name.

-So far, 'destroy target planeswalker' seems to be a thing, but I'm not sure that's strictly necessary, especially given how little difference there is between creatures and walkers conceptually.

Lab Explosion

Sorcery
Rare
Lab Explosion deals damage to target player equal to the greatest number of counters among permanents they control.

-unsubtle, but so are Planeswalkers

Trial by Fire

Sorcery
Rare
Trial by Fire deals 5 damage to target player. That player gains 3 life

-I feel like burn aimed at walkers can probably afford to be cheaper than that aimed at players. Like how Flame Slash is so much cheaper than the flexible Flame Javelin or Char.

Mana Seep

Instant
Common
Counter target spell unless that spell's controller pays or removes counters from a permanent they control.

Unwelcomed
()
Encantment
Rare
Whenever a creature attacks a planeswalker, that creature gets +2/+0.
These matters do not concern you, foreigner.

What sort of unexplored space do you think exists for Planeswalker hate?
Well, "remove all counters" is my personal favorite choice. You could also do Dreadbore-style removal. White gets Oblivion Ring-style options.

Blinking and bouncing your opponent's stuff can also be a subtle bit of planeswalker hate. Bawww, you have to build up loyalty again.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Cost of Meddling
Enchantment
Planeswalker abilities cost an additional one life to activate.
You would dare meddle in my affairs planeswalker?

Made it black because of the flavor text on Lord of the Pit in angelic vs demonic. 
That could stand to be significantly more aggressively costed.
Fair enough... Probably five or six.
No I mean like, make it cost two or something.
Or make the controller lose life equal to the loyalty added or removed.

5 or 6 per activation might work, they don't have to activate loyalty after all.
I'm of the opinion that planeswalker destruction should be BLUE, because blue is the only color that doesn't destroy permanents (see also my recent thread on Banishments, where I allow blue to banish planeswalkers).  Here's an example.  Title needs work.

Misfired Conjuring
Instant
Choose one: Return target permanent to its owner's hand, or destroy target planeswalker

(Possibly add an Entwine of )
Ohhh.... Yeah I suppose. Perhaps....
Cost of Meddling
Enchantment
Abilities on planeswalkers cost an additional 5 life to activate.
You would dare meddle in my affairs planeswalker?

Hmmmm.....
when this enters play, put X of your life chips onto this
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Red kind of has removal for them in the form of damage.
green in the form of creatures
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

My Spark Sense is Tingling
Enchantment
Creatures attacking Planeswalkers are unblockable.

Mark of the Outsider
Enchantment -aura
Enchant Planeswalker
Creatures attacking enchanted planeswalker can't be blocked.
When Mark of the Outsdier enters the battlefield, draw a card.
You are not welcome here 

Stunted Growth
Enchantment - Aura
Counters cannot be placed on enchanted permanent.
Whenever Stunted Growth enters the battlefield, draw a card.

Hazard Containment
Enchatment
When Hazard Containment enters the battlefield, exile another target nonland, noncreature permanent.
When Hazard Containment leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Like Stunted Growth, but feels undercosted. Also, ironically stunts wither and infect.
Uncertain Loyalties
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Planeswalker
When enchanted planeswalker activates an ability, its controller loses life equal to the number of loyalty counters on enchanted planeswalker.

I made a Legendary in one of my sets that has a special hatred for planeswalkers:

Leo Beorn
Legendary Creature - Werebear
Trample, : regenerate
If an opponent controls a planeswalker, you may play Leo as if he had flash and without paying his mana cost.
6/6

Quell  
Instant
Destroy target noncreature, nonland permanent.
Balance at any cost. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
green in the form of creatures

Only if they get through unblocked. Which is more of a blue thing. Most unblockables can't on their own, but with help...
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I think the best solution may have already been printed: Pithing Needle.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"

I think we can all agree that Needle is the best walker hate to date, but one card a hate does not make.
English I make good with.

The thing about walkers is that they were concepted with having answers in all five colors.
While that's technically true, some colors have it easier than others; and I was interested in exploring if there was less obvious space to be found.

I think we can all agree that Needle is the best walker hate to date, but one card a hate does not make.
English I make good with.

The thing about walkers is that they were concepted with having answers in all five colors.
While that's technically true, some colors have it easier than others; and I was interested in exploring if there was less obvious space to be found.

Pithing Needle is totally an answer in all 5 colors.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Friend Tax -
Enchantment
Planeswalker spells cost an additional to cast.

There could also be an ability like 'deathtouch' except it says damage this creature would do to a planeswalker destroys it.
Or this green card I put in my planeswalker set, it still requires getting through though

Multitusk Mammoth - 1gg - 3/3 - If this would deal damage to an opponent, it deals damage to them and each planeswalker they control instead.     
Gentlemen's Duel
Enchantment
When Gentlemen's Duel enters the battlefield, exile all planeswalkers.
Players can't cast planeswalker spells.
When Gentlemen's Duel leaves the battlefield, return the exiled cards to the battlefield under their owners' control.
"Don't rely on others to protect you."
--Giden Jura
Rules Advisor
Sign In to post comments