Thundermaw Hellkite: Keep or Sell?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all - hope this is in the correct place...

Back when Return to Ravnica came out I pulled only a couple of decent rares at the pre-release; Hallowed Fountain, Overgrown Tomb, and Lotleth Troll, which was pretty much why I lost all but one of my games when versing people who pulled Vrashkas and the like.

So I traded Hallowed Fountain away for a fair amount of stuff. I was fairly new to trading then and nearly traded Overgrown tomb away for an Elderscale Wurm (!!) until some more wise traders told me it's actual worth.

I finally found someone who wanted it, and he reallllly wanted it, so he gave me a great deal: for Overgrown Tomb and  a Fairy Imposter, he traded me 4 artifact lands, a Primordial Hydra and... a Thundermaw Hellkite. I didn't see it at the time; the art was cool, but I had no idea why it was good. After a while I put it in my EDH deck and fell in love with the art and his big lightning mouth. It was never a huge game winner in my EDH deck (I still haven't perfected that deck yet, and I usually play casual, so I never needed the dragon in a Standard deck or anything), but I enjoyed playing with it.

Fast forward a few weeks to now. I was talking at the store and someone said the damn thing has gone to $40! I was like "Are you serious??". Besides being dumbfounded that a card I got for about $10 had shot up to four times the price, it also put me in two minds: Should I keep the card or should I sell it?

I've sold cards at their peak before, namely Jace, Architect of Thought when it was $50, but people are saying the Thundermaw will never drop, and I really love the card, so I'm unsure what to do? Should I not care and just continue using what is a really cool card, or am I being completely stupid and missing out on an amazing opportunity to trade/sell off the card? Do you think it will drop again? And really, I'm curious to find out why exactly the price shot up after being so low only a few months ago.

Any advice, thoughts, etc would be greatly appreciated! : ) 
If you like it, keep it. We're not in this game to make a profit, generally.

I've got two Jace, Architect of Thought that I managed to pull while drafting. I'd probably never plunk down the money for one, but I don't plan on trading them away.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
From what I understand its popular in other formats than Standard, however once it rotates it will likely get hit by a big fat price drop.  Will likely keep some value, however, but not as much.

That said, it really depends.  It will likely half in price almost overnight simply because of rotation.  Still, if that does happen it will be a $20 card.  The question you have to ask yourself then is this:  Is a $20 bill worth you losing what seems to be your favorite card?  It's a lot of money for a piece of cardboard, but at the same time $20 is rarely going to make or break you.   Even if the price completely bottoms out and it drops to $5-10, it's not that much more.

To put it in game terms:

$20 is just over the cost of a draft, depending on where you play.
$20 buys you 5 boosters. 
$20 buys you two shocklands.

Double that if the price of Thundermaw completely bottoms out.  Frankly, unless you are selling cards en masse, the amount of money you will get from it will be relatively trivial and do little for you.  Now, if you had an entire playset of them, I'd say unload them now and fast.  The price will not be likely to increase, and can only go down from here.  But being as how its a single, my answer to you is this:

If you want to keep it, keep it.  Even if it bottoms out in price on rotation, the amount you would have made off of this single card is largely trivial compared to the enjoyment you seem to get from it.  $20-40 isn't the end of the world, and I doubt you're that hard up for the cash to absolutely need to shell it out.
It's just good in standard, it will eventually lose it's value, I'd trade it away for several cards of value from older sets that I would actually play in my decks and would have a bigger impact than him, but they are not standard cards, thus have less value while being more powerful
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
If you play nonstandard: Sell it, then buy it back when it rotates out.

Otherwise, sell it, and buy a playset of something else you love.
The answer here is entirely subjective.  We can only tell you what the dollar value of various cards are.  We cannot evaluate the "fun" value that you personally get out of any particular card.

Look at a card database like Gatherer or Magiccards.info, if there are any cards there that you find to be equal or greater in "fun" value which are worth less than $40, then you should sell it.  If there is nothing under $40 that you can imagine enjoying more than your dragon, then keep it.

If you are asking from a purely monetary investment perspective whether it will maintain its value, the answer is no.

lel, Lava Axe is just as good, lel.
It will stay high while its in standard....

Once it rotates it will go they way of the thundermare/lightning dragon/balduvian horde

Don't sell it just cause it's worth a bunch more than you got it for. However, IF there is something else that you want really badly, there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of a worth that seems like it's spiked for the time-being, but may not be there later on. That's the best thing about trading, they'll almost always come back to you in the future. I think the Hellkite will always hold some value, but certainly not $40. I bet it never dips below $10 though.
Don't sell it just cause it's worth a bunch more than you got it for. However, IF there is something else that you want really badly, there's nothing wrong with taking advantage of a worth that seems like it's spiked for the time-being, but may not be there later on. That's the best thing about trading, they'll almost always come back to you in the future. I think the Hellkite will always hold some value, but certainly not $40. I bet it never dips below $10 though.

Really never below 10 bucks.....

There is a big red baddie in standard at all times....can you remember the ones from blocks past.....

What are they worth now????

Next to nothing.....

I dont even see it staying at 10 while in modern....think of the current modern meta....

Why would you play Thundermaw Hellkite? 
Thundermaw Hellkite. Look at the last 3 words in the box. Because it's a tap-down of your opponents' defense and game-winner. That will always have some worth, IMO. I could be wrong, been known to happen. I'd LOVE to be wrong. I'd love to get them at $3 a pop when I need/want them in the future. I just think that tap-down will always hold some value.
Thundermaw Hellkite. Look at the last 3 words in the box. Because it's a tap-down of your opponents' defense and game-winner. That will always have some worth, IMO. I could be wrong, been known to happen. I'd LOVE to be wrong. I'd love to get them at $3 a pop when I need/want them in the future. I just think that tap-down will always hold some value.

Thundermaw hellkite only taps flyers....And its only the newest of creatures to do so, Thundermare tapped all other creatures and is now at 60 cents, it was running around 20 bucks when weatherlight came out and that when 20 bucks was about as high as a card went in type 2 (standard was called type 2 then)
Not even a comparable card. Tapped ALL creatures, YOURS included. Leaving you with what to attack with? Play the hellkite right, and it leaves your opponent defenseless to watch 3 or 4 flyers come and smack you into oblivion.

I said I could be wrong, but believe that's always going to be worth something. How did this get under your skin so bad?  

Not even a comparable card. Tapped ALL creatures, YOURS included. Leaving you with what to attack with? Play the hellkite right, and it leaves your opponent defenseless to watch 3 or 4 flyers come and smack you into oblivion.

I said I could be wrong, but believe that's always going to be worth something. How did this get under your skin so bad?  

Not under my skin, i've just seen alot of big red baddies go the way of the dodo and not be worth anything later....

As far as the abilities in comparison your correct... 

Look at it like this....what mana to P/T efficiant flyier with a quality ability is worth 10 bucks in modern? 

Agressive red creatures with haste,regenerating, buyback, return to the battlefield or to your hand effects or tapping abilities come and go, and arent worth anything after they cycle out....
You're pretty wrong. The card maybe be powerful but if it isnt strong in other formats it wont retain it's value. It's about supply and demand. If there is no demand...
At one time Baneslayer Angel was selling for ridiculous amounts on money, now it's ~12$.  I personally believe that the dragon will come down in price eventually too.

That said, I tend be the type of player that trades away "chase rares" in order to get a larger number of "playable rares" to make decks out of.  I enjoy trying to beat the "latest and greatest tech" using "janky stuff".  I find it fun and challenging to try to spend less money on my deck than my opponent spent on his and beat him anyway.   I also like being the annoying x-factor guy at the tourny that isn't playing delver, or jund, or whatever the format-defining deck of the current era is at any given time.  People tend not to have a sideboard waiting for you, they tend not to know what you're going to play next, they don't know your build and how to play around it like they would if you're playing a "known quantity" deck.  

So personally, I'd trade it for a cadre of good solid rares from Return to Ravnica block.  You'll get more use out of the shocklands or whatever over time, plus they can always go into EDH decks or modern decks later.  Cavern of Souls would be a good card to get too, but since you could probably only get 1 in trade for the hellkite, I'd maybe try to get 2-3 other rares instead.  I also encourage you to try to get the person trading for the dragon to throw in some "jank" rares that are selling for like $1-3, as most of the time those players don't value those cards AT ALL, and will often give you their "draft crap" just to get the chase mythinc they need for their deck. 
I wish they'd just print something more like Two-Headed Dragon again. That guy is my boy.

I actually prefer Brimstone Volley over Lava Axe in my burn decks. Mostly because it's pretty easy to kill a creature, especially my own goblin.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I would say that if it's your favorite card, you should certainly keep it.

40 dollars is 40 dollars, this is true. But will the next  Thundermaw Hellkite. be the same? Sure it will be played, and a read the same as any other Thundermaw Hellkite... but it won't be the same card you can tell that story about.

Personally, I'd hang on to it.
40 dollars is 40 dollars, this is true. But will the next  Thundermaw Hellkite. be the same?

Lemme just answer that for you:

Yes.

Yes it will.

I actually prefer Brimstone Volley over Lava Axe in my burn decks. Mostly because it's pretty easy to kill a creature, especially my own goblin.

If your plan is to burn the opponent out, the need for an extra card or two plus the mana you spend on the other burn spell offset the effectiveness of 5 damage with one card. At that rate you may as well just hit the opponent with both of the burn spells, it might even come out to be more damage.

Even if I was serious - and I wasn't - Beacon of Destruction would be a much better option in either case.

I sold mine. I got one when it was like 26 and traded it off a few weeks back because I don't think it will hold it's pricetag forever. I also look at cards in a monetary cost type of way. Even if I own the card and it could be used in my deck and it's really good...it needs to be as good as it's pricetag. Thundermaw is great. It wasn't 35$ great and I would rather have taken that value and put it into several cards for my other deck rather than have one good card that came out in 1/10 games for my red deck.
Personally, I sold it and a Jace, Architect of Thought for $44 at my local store. If you don't need it for any decks that you run, and there are some money cards that would make your current decks better, then I would say sell it. I picked up a few Temporal Masterys and some other stuff to improve my decks. If you want to keep it though for sentimental value, or just to use in something like casual, then go for it.

If your plan is to burn the opponent out, the need for an extra card or two plus the mana you spend on the other burn spell offset the effectiveness of 5 damage with one card. At that rate you may as well just hit the opponent with both of the burn spells, it might even come out to be more damage.

Even if I was serious - and I wasn't - Beacon of Destruction would be a much better option in either case.

Wait, who said I needed to use a burn spell to kill a creature? When did that happen?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments