Still new to the 4E, I just need to make sure I'm reading the powers correctly

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think I understand correctly but just wanted to go over a power and see if I am reading and understanding correctly and if not, if someone can clarify.  Thanks in advance for your help.

For example the encounter power Warlord's Favor breaks down like this:

If I understand correctly, A warlord can announce he/she wants to use his encounter power.  If he hits, he does 2[W] + str mod (in this case it is +6) One ally within 5 squares of the warlord gains a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against that target until the end of the warlord's next turn. And if the warlord has Tactical Presence: The bonus equals 1 + the warlords Intelligence modifier. (in this case that is a mod of +2)

Where I need clarifaction is this:  First, does the ally only get the +2 if the Warlord hits the target or does the ally get the advantage even if the Warlord misses?  And  if the Warlord had Tactical Presence then the power bonus would not be generic instead it would be 1 + the warlords Intelligence modifier. Is that correct?

Also in this case, the warlord's Intelligence mod is +2 so does that mean the ally gets +3 because that is 1+ the +2 mod?

Thanks for any help in clarifying

If it's in the Hit: line, it's dependent on the power hitting.

If it's in an Effect: or Miss: line, it happens regardless (exception: indented effect: lines are dependent on hit).

If the warlord is a taclord with +2 INT mod, then yes, he gives out a +3 rather than a +2 with that power.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thanks thespaceinvader ,

So then because it reads "Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage. One ally within 5 squares of you gains a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn." the warlord will need to actually hit the target and in doing so inspires his/her ally with an advantage to hit.

I assume Lead the Attack daily power acts the same way, it also depended on the Warlord hitting to give the advantage.  However their is a,  "Miss: Half damage. Until the end of your next turn, you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target."

So even if the Warlord misses he/she and the ally gets a +1 to attack and then the total damage is divided in half.

Would I still have the warlord and ally roll 3[W] + Strength modifier damage (using the Warlords Strength mod) and divide the total or just a regular melee attack and divide if it were a Miss
Here's an example of how Lead the Attack works. Hopefully it will make things clear.

So imagine we have the 1st level party of William the Warlord, Felicia the Fighter and Raymond the Ranger battling a troll.

-----------------------------------

William goes first, and decides to use Lead the Attack. He rolls to hit, but misses.
Lead the Attack does half damage on a miss, so he rolls 3[W]+Strength mod and deals half that much damage to the troll (rounded down). He also lets the other players know that they have a +1 bonus when attacking the troll.

Felicia goes next, and decides to use Cleave. She rolls to hit, including the +1 bonus, but misses.
She deals no damage.

Next up is Raymond, who decides to use Nimble Strike. He rolls to hit, including the +1 bonus, and hits.
He deals 1[W]+Dexterity mod damage (for example 1d10+4 if he's using a longbow and has 18 dexterity).

Now the troll goes. It doesn't do anything of importance.

William's turn again, he wants to use Wolf Pack Tactics. He rolls to hit, including the +1 bonus, but misses.
He deals no damage.

Now the effects of Lead the Attack have vanished, and the battle continues normally.

-----------------------------------

If William would have hit with Lead the Attack, he would have dealt the full 3[W]+Strength mod damage, and the bonus to the party's attacks would have been 1+Intelligence mod (in your case, 3).
Thanks so much Forehead, I understand so much better reading a scenario. 

So the half damage missed effect only applies to the warlord because it was his attack. The attack bonuses apply to the entire party because he inspires them but damage is individual to each player unless he hit the troll, then they get some extra damage
from the warlords power otherwise it is business as usual.

Okay, and I should assume all powers work like this unless noted otherwise.

Thanks for clarifying.  It was a big help.
LB
Correct.

In general in this game: things do exactly what they say they do (in the power text, rather than the flavour text), no more, no less.  You read the power, and it does what it says it does.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
You read the power, and it does what it says it does, in the order that it says it.

D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Sign In to post comments