A Detektor Blip: Enhanced Interrogation

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Enhanced Interrogation
Instant
Destroy target detained creature. Draw two cards.
"Your secrets? Ah, but you misunderstand. We read your mind when we arrested you. This is merely your punishment."
cute.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I know ChaosLight has already offered to hire you for this, but...can you write all my flavor text, please? I mean, I don't consider myself particularly bad at it, but your flavor text always puts everyone else's to shame. Like this one, for example .

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

The "if you do" shouldn't be necessary, I think.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I think it is. Otherwise you could play it when there are no legal targets (no detained creatures) and still get the card draw.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

I think it is. Otherwise you could play it when there are no legal targets (no detained creatures) and still get the card draw.

No, I think Mown is right. It would just fizzle.

No, I think Mown is right. It would just fizzle.

Would the whole spell fizzle, or just the first part? I expected the first part to fizzle and the second part to still take effect.

You can't cast a targeting spell without a target. Can you??
The whole spell would fizzle, just like a targeted cantrip.
Not that it could be cast without a legal target it since it says "Destroy target detained creature" not "Destroy target creature if it's detained."
I vote that this be W/B ((W/U)B?) and be flavored as the Orzhov paying off the Azorious to kill someone who has been arrested. 'Destroy target creature' just looks really weird on a W/U spell, even with the restriction.
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
I count blue tap down enchant creatures cards as creature destruct the same thing sans disenchant
I know ChaosLight has already offered to hire you for this, but...can you write all my flavor text, please? I mean, I don't consider myself particularly bad at it, but your flavor text always puts everyone else's to shame. Like this one, for example .

This is the card you choose to make your pronouncement over? I thought the flavor text was trying a little too hard.

I don't know how I feel about interacting with such a small domain.

Also, you keep touching on design spaces that immediately give me other card ideas, which makes me feel unoriginal
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
your own actions change the product
besides I think your brilliant
I vote that this be W/B ((W/U)B?) and be flavored as the Orzhov paying off the Azorious to kill someone who has been arrested. 'Destroy target creature' just looks really weird on a W/U spell, even with the restriction.

You would put explicitly Azorius synergy on an Orzhov card? Really?

And yes, I was thinking of making it "exile", but really you're just waterboarding the poor guy to death. 
I realize my opinion has held about as much water as a fishing net here in the past, but I'm not a fan of it.

It tries really hard to be w/u but it's not.  I think it was Elevate and one other poster but there are examples of skirting the pie to draw in effects traditionally off color and they worked beautifully.  I don't think trying to harness a word (Detain) and then use natural language connections as a the only connection justifies it in this case though.

Same thing with guild synergy.  None of the 9 cards which use detain mention or depict punishment or anything other than just detainment, the preempt of the legal process itself.  Additionally I believe that Azorious would either delegate the punishment or execution to another guild, or simply leave the detainee indefinately suspended in legal issues to ensure desired effect.

The flavor text contradicts the draw ability.

Lastly, and this is pure pie opinion, but white doesn't need any other excuses to draw from other pie areas as they've done quite enough already.  I understand there are many prescedents to white destroy single target effects, but I'm not a fan of them.

Challenge & Contest Winners
[24 Hour Challenge] Why is the rum always gone? Winner- Sebanovich
Show
Vomit Elemental :B: Creature - Elemental Tap an untapped creature you control: Vomit Elemental gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Other creatures you control don't untap during your untap step. "Drink and feed me, my followers!" 1/1
Signature
I kind of like the idea of exile flavorfully. Not only does it fit better into white and blue, but it also gives the impression that the Azorius have Destroy the Evidence by exiling the creature without a trace.
It looks finnicky to play - you need a very particular draw, and it's hard to cast the card and the detain card in the same turn. But I still like it better than one of the original Orzhov mechanics that gave creatures the Skulking Ghost/Illusion mechanic.

To be less finnicky, the card would have to enable itself, maybe something like this:

Parole Officer 
Creature - Human Soldier
If a creatue that is already detained would be detained, destroy that creature instead.
When ~ enters the battlefield, detain target creature.
1/3

Maybe there could be something like this in Dragon's Maze:

One-man Judge-Executioner
Creature - Human Advisor Soldier
Whenever ~ attacks, detain target creature or artifact.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to an opponent, destroy each detained permanent that player controls.
4/5
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators

You would put explicitly Azorius synergy on an Orzhov card? Really?

I figure it's a foregone conclusion that Wizards will irrevocably ruin Ravnica as a plane eventually (I was thinking death by Eldrazi), so I've made peace with the fact that things like this can happen.

Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Destroy is just too weird here. Just changing it to exile would be a lot less jarring.

But I know you care about flavor minutiae so maybe that doesn't work for you 
Its not entirely out of white to destroy creatures. Look at the ever classic Wrath of God, Avenging Arrow, Divine Verdict, Divine Reckoning, or in blue and white Giltspire Avenger. Most white destruction is either universal or conditional, but this feels like it matches. I actually like it.
This is perfectly fine in white, as you have to pay a white card first to use it. BUT, this could just as easily be dimir.
Philosophically, there's a sort of logic to it as well.
If someone was dangerous enough to warrant arrest, who's to say they won't commit crime again?

I would say there's a strong argument for destroy here.  White's destruction is usually conditional.  The flavor text only fits exile really...If you exile the creature, the flavor text indicates his crime was so bad he's PERMENANTLY detained.

You could support destroy with a flavor text that indicated some sort of prison break attempt.  Which may also justify the draw two cards if theres a reference to either beefed up security procedures or intel gathered from the body.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Sign In to post comments