Keyword: Martyr

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Martyr: Whenever _ (blocks or?) becomes blocked, you may sacrifice it. If you do, put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is this creature's power. Or maybe a set value.

Soldier     WW
Martyr
 2/1

Or

Soldier WW
Martyr 2   
2/1      

Bridgeholder Giant  3RRR
Attacks each turn if able.
Martyr         
5/2

I suppose it's green too. I think it might encourage chump blocking, but that's easy to deal with.      
as white/green, and also just conceptually, going by toughness makes more sense than power

also, martyrdom kinda suggests more of a greater good and sacrificing for all, not just to add power to a single creature -- if you distributed among any number of creatures you controlled, would feel a little better flavorfully (imo)
Or just put a +1/+1 counter on up to X target creatures. Better flavor, and I can see it being something done two or three times at common.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
as white/green, and also just conceptually, going by toughness makes more sense than power

also, martyrdom kinda suggests more of a greater good and sacrificing for all, not just to add power to a single creature -- if you distributed among any number of creatures you controlled, would feel a little better flavorfully (imo)

I tried to make it power so you can give a higher power than toughness so as to encourage aggressive, quick kill decks where the mechanic can really shine. The mechanic feels better when you're sacrificing a 3/1 blocked by a 2/2 to grow an unblocked attacker. Sacrificing your blocked 1/3 ( again blocked by a 2/2) doesn't feel as nice.

I could change the name to reflect the choice of W/G, but I wouldn't know what to call it. I wouldn't want to change the mechanic to fit the flavour though, and redistributing them the way you suggest doesn't work as well and is more difficult to keep track of ( at least in my experience ). That's why stuff like Increasing Savagery ( and I'm sure other examples) put them all on the same target.

Sign In to post comments