Daily Power Flaming Sphere, seeking advice on making a special change to it for a player

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm running a 4e heroic tier game. I have a player in my group that I'm working with to make his character have a cold theme to his spells. He wants the spell Flaming Sphere. I was thinking of changing it just for him to a Frost Sphere. I want to be careful however to make sure the power makes sense and is not too powerful or underpowered.
I was thinking of making the Effect slow the target (until end of your next turn?) instead of 1d4 + int dmg, adding Cold to the keywords and changing the Hit damage to Cold instead of Fire damage.
Anyone have any suggestions or advice?
I've added the Wizard Lvl1 spell below for quick reference.

Flaming Sphere

You conjure a rolling ball of fire and control where it goes.

Daily        Arcane, Conjuration, Evocation, Fire, Implement
Standard Action      Ranged 10

Effect: You conjure a Medium flaming sphere in an unoccupied square within range. The sphere occupies its square, and it lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the sphere takes 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. As a move action, you can move the sphere up to 6 squares.
    When the sphere appears, it immediately makes the following attack. While the sphere persists, you can use a standard action to command it to make the attack.

Target: One creature adjacent to the flaming sphere

Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex

Hit: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.

Sustain Minor: The sphere persists until the end of your next turn.

I forgot to mention, the Slow Effect seemed quite powerful to me, but I'm not sure. What would you do?
I would give it a try, provisionally, and adjust it further if it proves too powerful.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Yeah ill try it.
If the perpetual slow is too crazy maybe ill add it to the Hit and use 1d10 instead of 2d6 + int mod. 
Minor changes to powers like this usually aren't any problem at all, in and of themselves.

The problems sometimes occur because some players want these minor changes to create an overpowered combo when used with another game element.  Do it provisionally and make sure the player understands that it's provisional, then keep an eye out to see if he tries to pair it with another game element to create a more powerful effect.  If he does, revoke it, or if you're still okay with it you might instead try to see if you can find a different way to create a similar effect with existing game elements without cluttering things up with houserules.

After all, if the player just wants a cold theme to his spells, have him pick cold powers, or just change the fluff to indicate it's cold instead of fire.  If he strongly objects to that, he may be fishing for an OP combo.   

I'm not normally a restrictive DM in this manner, but I've seen stuff like this happen too many times ... some players have a munchkiny tendency that you have to be careful of, but on the other hand a good DM will still give them the freedom to create powerful characters and enjoy the game that way too.

An example I had happen recently was where player wanted his character to be able to use Acrobatics to shift completely over/around an enemy as a move action.  At will.  At first level.  No way was that going to happen, that's almost game-breaking.  Basically I told him no, there's no way you can do that AT FIRST LEVEL, but there's a 2nd level utility (Tumble) that lets you do that as an encounter power.  So what I did was to offer to advance him his 2nd level utility power so he would get it a couple of sessions early and start using it right away.  Turns out he didn't want to take that power under those conditions.  He wasn't interested if he couldn't get it for free.  Munchkin or Jerky DM?  You decide.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

So what I did was to offer to advance him his 2nd level utility power so he would get it a couple of sessions early and start using it right away.  Turns out he didn't want to take that power under those conditions.  He wasn't interested if he couldn't get it for free.  Munchkin or Jerky DM?  You decide.

Certainly a situation in which the DM should make their concerns clear, and understand the wishes of the player. Perhaps the DM would be willing to look into ways to keep encounters challenging without relying on opportunity attacks. There are ways.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

I was thinking of making the Effect slow the target (until end of your next turn?) instead of 1d4 + int dmg, adding Cold to the keywords and changing the Hit damage to Cold instead of Fire damage.

Why would you get rid of the ongoing?  There's no real point.  Cold can be just as damaging as fire.  Just change your perspective a bit. 
Think of how many degrees that ball of fire is.  Now make it a negative number.  It's very low, isn't it?  Remember, people die from the cold as easily as from the heat, and no amount of normal clothing is going to keep you from freezing to death.
I'm running a 4e heroic tier game. I have a player in my group that I'm working with to make his character have a cold theme to his spells. He wants the spell Flaming Sphere. I was thinking of changing it just for him to a Frost Sphere. I want to be careful however to make sure the power makes sense and is not too powerful or underpowered.

Flaming Sphere

Effect: You conjure a Medium flaming sphere in an unoccupied square within range. The sphere occupies its square, and it lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the sphere takes 1d4 + Intelligence modifier fire damage. As a move action, you can move the sphere up to 6 squares.
    When the sphere appears, it immediately makes the following attack. While the sphere persists, you can use a standard action to command it to make the attack.

Easy:
Replace all instances of the word "Fire" with the word "Cold". 
Replace all instances of the phrase "Flaming Sphere" with the phrase "Giant Snowball"
Done.

BTW - if this game goes to paragon, he'll love you if he takes the feat Lasting Frost.
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
So what I did was to offer to advance him his 2nd level utility power so he would get it a couple of sessions early and start using it right away.  Turns out he didn't want to take that power under those conditions.  He wasn't interested if he couldn't get it for free.  Munchkin or Jerky DM?  You decide.

Certainly a situation in which the DM should make their concerns clear, and understand the wishes of the player. Perhaps the DM would be willing to look into ways to keep encounters challenging without relying on opportunity attacks. There are ways.

Definitely, and that is a good idea which will work sometimes.  But then you have defenders, a role where one of the selling points is that you discourage monsters from making opportunity attacks on your friends.  So in de-emphasizing opportunity attacks, it's possible that you could take some of the fun away from those players who enjoy the defender role.  That's most likely how it would have turned out for my particular group given the personalities of the individuals I play with.

Gotta be careful that when you give a player what he wants, you don't take away from another player to make that happen, at least not without that other player being cool with it.  I've been on the receiving end of that enough times and in one case it got bad enough that I had to bow out, because I just wasn't having fun.

Sorry, getting off topic there.  But the main point I want to make is to just be careful with changes like the OP suggested so that they result in more freedom and fun instead of someone getting OP at the expense of others' freedom and fun. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Why would you get rid of the ongoing?  There's no real point.  Cold can be just as damaging as fire.  Just change your perspective a bit. 
Think of how many degrees that ball of fire is.  Now make it a negative number.  It's very low, isn't it?  Remember, people die from the cold as easily as from the heat, and no amount of normal clothing is going to keep you from freezing to death.

Yes.  This.

Which is why adding slow instead of ongoing damage and changing the keyword makes my DM-sense tingle.  True, the player wants a COLD-themed character, but the fluff can be easily enough changed to do this.  If the player in question strongly objects to this, perhaps he has an ulterior motive, or just doesn't understand the difference between fluff and crunch.   

Definitely, and that is a good idea which will work sometimes.  But then you have defenders, a role where one of the selling points is that you discourage monsters from making opportunity attacks on your friends.  So in de-emphasizing opportunity attacks, it's possible that you could take some of the fun away from those players who enjoy the defender role.  That's most likely how it would have turned out for my particular group given the personalities of the individuals I play with.

Well this is perfect then. If the creature is marked, it won't make an opportunity attack, thanks to the defender. If it isn't marked, it won't make an opportunity attack for some other reason. Or, the monster can always violate the mark on its own turn.

Gotta be careful that when you give a player what he wants, you don't take away from another player to make that happen, at least not without that other player being cool with it.

Nah, that's not really all that workable, and is likely to lead to blocking simply because people are feeling proprietary. Instead, make it clear that any player can have similar concessions made for them, if they want.

Apparently WotC changed the power. It no longer has ongoing anymore. Something I noticed recently.
But you do have a point. I can keep the Hit 2d6 + Int Cold damage and the Effect 1d4 + int cold damage. 

Flaming Sphere

Easy:
Replace all instances of the word "Fire" with the word "Cold". 
Replace all instances of the phrase "Flaming Sphere" with the phrase "Giant Snowball"
Done.

BTW - if this game goes to paragon, he'll love you if he takes the feat Lasting Frost.

Yeah, exactly. I can always default to just doing that.
lol he would have fun being able to frost cheese with lasting frost. 
Minor changes to powers like this usually aren't any problem at all, in and of themselves.

The problems sometimes occur because some players want these minor changes to create an overpowered combo when used with another game element.  Do it provisionally and make sure the player understands that it's provisional, then keep an eye out to see if he tries to pair it with another game element to create a more powerful effect.  If he does, revoke it, or if you're still okay with it you might instead try to see if you can find a different way to create a similar effect with existing game elements without cluttering things up with houserules.

After all, if the player just wants a cold theme to his spells, have him pick cold powers, or just change the fluff to indicate it's cold instead of fire.  If he strongly objects to that, he may be fishing for an OP combo.   

I'm not normally a restrictive DM in this manner, but I've seen stuff like this happen too many times ... some players have a munchkiny tendency that you have to be careful of, but on the other hand a good DM will still give them the freedom to create powerful characters and enjoy the game that way too.

I actually realized how true this is. It's something I'll definitely keep in mind.

I would recommend (as said above) just changing the fluff (keyword from fire to cold) and leaving everything else the same.  Adding slow will have a greater affect then you might realize, it is one of the most useful and powerful status effects.  As a DM I would rather have a dazed monster then a slowed one, as slow is much more crippling. 

If you are afraid of what might happen with lasting frost, then make it clear that the fluff change will not change for the purposes of feats or items just for resistances.
"The great epochs of our life come when we gain the courage to rechristen our evil as what is best in us." - Friedrich Nietzsche