Watch out for this combo

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
In case you guys didn't notice it yet...this IS a thing. This was just pulled off on me in GTC booster draft off of Tappedout website.

My friend drafted Gruul I was playing Simic

Turn 1

Opp: Forest, Spire Tracer
Me: Simic Guildgate  pass

Turn 2
Opp:Mountain , Burning-Tree Emissary, Burning-Tree Emissary, Madcap Skills on Spire Tracer...Attack for 4!
Me: Draw card...he flashes Zhur-Taa Swine and Slaughterhorn

Turn two scoop!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
In case you guys didn't notice it yet...this IS a thing. This was just pulled off on me in GTC booster draft off of Tappedout website.

Turn 1

Turn 2
Opp:Mountain , Burning-Tree Emissary, Burning-Tree Emissary, Madcap Skills on Spire Tracer...Attack for 4!

Turn two scoop!

TappedOut is home of the worst drafting I've ever, ever, ever seen. I have been passed a T6 Pack Rat. People there just eff around or have no idea what they're doing, and the bots are senseless, and there's usually one or two bots per draft bc you're likely to get booted off.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Turn 1

Turn 2

Turn two scoop!

TappedOut is home of the worst drafting I've ever, ever, ever seen. I have been passed a T6 Pack Rat. People there just eff around or have no idea what they're doing, and the bots are senseless, and there's usually one or two bots per draft bc you're likely to get booted off.

I'm not sure of the quality on this occassion. There were two other strong drafters (my friends) other than that i couldn't tell you. I felt like the cards i was getting passed were realistic.

It's pretty realistic that someone picking Gruul could have multiples of all of those commons and uncommons.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Thread relevance is bobus level.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

Turn 1

Turn 2

Turn two scoop!

I'm not sure of the quality on this occassion. There were two other strong drafters (my friends) other than that i couldn't tell you. I felt like the cards i was getting passed were realistic.

It's pretty realistic that someone picking Gruul could have multiples of all of those commons and uncommons.

That's a lot of excellent Gruul cards in an opening hand, especially since Gruul hosed the pre-release circuit. It could be a nut draw, or it could be 3 strong drafters drafting with 5 tappedout drafters. (I'm pretty cynical, what can I say.)

What guild was your other friend? Did you splash for Gruul or Dimir? Or, another signal: did have to consider splashing at all? Just curious.

Regardless, that hand is the nuts. You'd need to have that 1/3 2-drop and some muggings or charms to slow that opening down.

I had a decent Simic deck I didn't need to splash.

I had two Urban Evolutions and a lot of good evolve creatures.

There was no way for me to stop that Spire Tracer. If he hadn't had the Burning-Tree Emissarys and instead had one land (the other two mentioned cards) and ANY other creature, I think it's still too strong?

I didn't have any Rapid Hybridization and even if I had, giving him a 3/3 would have been brutal.
crocanura comes down just in time to be bloodrushed out

you don't need the burning tree emissaries here to be a frightening scenario

every deck needs to be able to handle turn 2 madcap skills or just be dead 
LSV was talking about how this will be a much faster format than RTR. Simic charm's bounce or Dimir's power-kill, or even Orzhov's kill option will be really relevant. This is also why I think mugging will be used early game and not pocketed for an adaptive snapjaw. (SHOUT OUT TO I-ROCK WHAT YEAH I REFERENCED MUGGING AGAIN!)

Same for burning tree. With 80 uncommons in the set and roughly 72 per 8-man draft, there's a 9/10 chance one will show up per draft, which is why I'm a little surprised someone could maindeck two. Can you imagine two Dreg Manglers or two Bloodfray Giants in a draft deck? Oof.

EDIT: my math suxed.

LSV was talking about how this will be a much faster format than RTR. Simic charm's bounce or Dimir's power-kill, or even Orzhov's kill option will be really relevant. This is also why I think mugging will be used early game and not pocketed for an adaptive snapjaw. (SHOUT OUT TO I-ROCK WHAT YEAH I REFERENCED MUGGING AGAIN!)

Same for burning tree. With 80 uncommons in the set and roughly 24 per 8-man draft, there's a 3/10 chance one will show up per draft, which is why I'm a little surprised someone could maindeck two. Can you imagine two Dreg Manglers or two Bloodfray Giants in a draft deck? Oof.

Actually, uncommons in gatecrash will show up at an average rate of 0.9 per draft.  3 uncommons per pack x 3 packs x 8 players = 72, and 72/80 = 0.9.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:

Same for burning tree. With 80 uncommons in the set and roughly 24 per 8-man draft, there's a 3/10 chance one will show up per draft, which is why I'm a little surprised someone could maindeck two. Can you imagine two Dreg Manglers or two Bloodfray Giants in a draft deck? Oof.

I had a aggro-populate draft deck with 3xCall of the Cnclave and 2xVitu-Ghazi Guildmage. Sometimes you get multiples of good uncommons. People can't always hate those things early enough.

Actually, uncommons in gatecrash will show up at an average rate of 0.9 per draft.  3 uncommons per pack x 3 packs x 8 players = 72, and 72/80 = 0.9.

Why do you keep replying and thinking about such an irrelevant post?

Pot...meet kettle!

I had a aggro-populate draft deck with 3xCall of the Cnclave and 2xVitu-Ghazi Guildmage. Sometimes you get multiples of good uncommons. People can't always hate those things early enough.

On TO or IRL??? Did you concuss your fellow drafters before cracking packs???

On TO or IRL??? Did you concuss your fellow drafters before cracking packs???

FNM friday before last.

P1P1 Call of the conclave (passed Deathrite Shaman
P1P2 Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage

then a lot of rootborn defenses, eyes in the skies, druid deliverance

P2P1 Call of the Conclave
P2P2 Call of the Conclave!!!

Pot...meet kettle!

It's because you've created such an irrelevant thread. This is fine for your magic blog but doesn't need a forum thread. 

Pot...meet kettle!

It's because you've created such an irrelevant thread. This is fine for your magic blog but doesn't need a forum thread. 

No he dissed it and then started debating the things we were discussing in a serious manner....

But if it's so irrelevant than just ignore it, no one's forcing you to read it. There aren't very many topics in a given day and we seem to generate fun discussion this way...it really shouldn't matter to you.
Just tested my TO theory. Here's pack one of my draft in pick order:

Stomping Ground
Truefire Paladin
Ghor-Clan Rampager
Bomber Corps
Wojek Halberdiers
Foundry Street Denizen
Martial Glory
Knight Watch
Madcap Skills
Knight Watch
Basilica Guards
Millennial Gargoyle
Luminate Primordial
Shattering Blow

Here's pack two:

Boros Charm
Boros Charm
Skyknight Legionnaire
Hellraiser Goblin
Gruul Charm
Skyknight Legionnaire
Wojek Halberdiers
Daring Skyjek
Skyknight Legionnaire
Massive Raid
Daring Skyjek
Foundry Street Denizen
Ordruun Veteran
Skyblinder Staff
Skyblinder Staff

Pack three TO crashed after p8 but I have plenty of playables:

Angelic Skirmisher
Ghor-Clan Rampager
Truefire Paladin
Court Street Denizen
Skyknight Legionnaire
Knight of Obligation
Syndic of Tithes
Armored Transport

See my point? TO just doesn't represent reality... it's this pseudo-reality, where you see things you might recognize in real life, but when taken in altogether, you realize can't exist, or shouldn't exist, or never, ever, ever will exist.

Pot...meet kettle!

No he dissed it and then started debating the things we were discussing in a serious manner....

But if it's so irrelevant than just ignore it, no one's forcing you to read it. There aren't very many topics in a given day and we seem to generate fun discussion this way...it really shouldn't matter to you.

I agree, there's not nearly enough topics on this board's Page 1 to be kvetching about any particular topic. It's fun to show off combos in new sets.

I agree, there's not nearly enough topics on this board's Page 1 to be kvetching about any particular topic. It's fun to show off combos in new sets.

Yeah, but "evasive creature + power boost aura" isn't exactly what I would call a combo.
I just did some TO and I don't think it's very realistic. I just did a draft and got 3 one thousand lashes, really? Also 3 basilica guards in a row, one of the packs was a repeat of the last one.

Anecdotal, I know. But definitely doesn't seem realistic.

Pot...meet kettle!

That's because when **** like this get's posted it's, "kids talk." ...Which seems to be the majority of posts on here.

This isn't really a combo, it's just a follow-up play. I went 4-0 in one of the pre-releases I had done for having 2caps and ~4 soft removal and 7 hard removal spells in my pool. Not because "I" made good plays but the card is slightly OP supported by so much removal. That said... the card is unfortunately good (not great), but not worthy of discussion because a player will: A. have a response or B.does not.
ALIK4: Cato alternate account?

I find the discussion relevant in a draft forum. Need to be aware of the aggressiveness of madcap skills and draft appropriately. Sorry you guys are so butt-hurt that there's a thread about it.
no. I'm my own.

there's nothing to be aware of...standard playable, value of maybe 2.5... you're just asking for a 2 for 1 response once it's played, smite, dimir charm, mugging. etc. so my statement still stands.

A. have a response or B. no response (bashed in the face till t4).
If there's no trade on t3, then that's unfortunate for not having curve on the low end.
While this particular draw was lucky, it seems true that a Burning-Tree Emissary + any Red or Green 2-drop backed up with a hand of Bloodrush guarantees a lot of early damage. It's situational, but definitely something to look out for while drafting Gruul.

While I'm not sure if you should Bloodrush a Burning Tree Emissary every time it gets blocked or not, I do think the Bloodrush support is what's going to make it good. With Bloodrush, what might be a minor, situational jump-start turns into a huge board development advantage that continues to be relevant even after the opponent got a Crocanua to 2/4 or something.

The Emissary looks good for setting up Batallion quickly, too, although you would need a Red 2-drop in hand.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators

Pot...meet kettle!

That's because when **** like this get's posted it's, "kids talk." ...Which seems to be the majority of posts on here.

This isn't really a combo, it's just a follow-up play. I went 4-0 in one of the pre-releases I had done for having 2caps and ~4 soft removal and 7 hard removal spells in my pool. Not because "I" made good plays but the card is slightly OP supported by so much removal. That said... the card is unfortunately good (not great), but not worthy of discussion because a player will: A. have a response or B.does not.

It was turn 2 and he already had 8 power worth of creature on the board with a 4/1 that was almost impossible to block. It is a combo...6 mana on turn 2 IS a combo!

I know that during my prerelease I managed to drop two creatures on turn two on three occasions. If I had had either two emissaries or a madcap, it would have been pretty devastating. I also used the emissary in a few instances where I had double red mana and no green in order to cast a spell. In that way, I held the emissary to use as fixing, often on turn three when I had three mountains and no forests.
I never said your thread was irrelevant, I said it was bobus-level relevant.  Are you saying that Bobus' threads aren't relevant?

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
I never said your thread was irrelevant, I said it was bobus-level relevant.  Are you saying that Bobus' threads aren't relevant?

Sorry, those fallacies don't work on me.

You always complain that bobus's threads are irrelevant, then you made a comparison from those that you consider irrelevant and my thread.

This is YOUR conclusion, not mine!

I think your complaining is irrelevant, so henceforth I wont be responding to it.

Don't you ever get tired of moderators removing your posts or telling you to mind your own business?

You don't have to reply, the answer is ...irrelevant.

It was turn 2 and he already had 8 power worth of creature on the board with a 4/1 that was almost impossible to block. It is a combo...6 mana on turn 2 IS a combo!

No, that was synergy.  There's a huge difference.

No, that was synergy.  There's a huge difference.

Synergy is part of comboing (duh)...

Getting a turn one creature with evasions and then on turn two making him bigger with even more evasion IS a combo.

Cards working in combination to produce a strong result is the definition of a combo.

The effect doesn't have to be difficult to understand or mind-blowing but this COMBO is very strong.

Sorry, those fallacies don't work on me.

You always complain that bobus's threads are irrelevant, then you made a comparison from those that you consider irrelevant and my thread.

This is YOUR conclusion, not mine!

I think your complaining is irrelevant, so henceforth I wont be responding to it.

Don't you ever get tired of moderators removing your posts or telling you to mind your own business?

You don't have to reply, the answer is ...irrelevant.

Geez, there's no need to get defensive.  Bobus has made important contributions to these forums in that he's one of the few users here that actually uses statistics, which are amazingly relevant.  Richard Garfield WAS a mathematician after all.  But if you want to believe that his posts are irrelevant... go ahead.  That's just rude and insulting.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
ALIK4 is a well-known Cato alternate account.

Cato has to have many ready as he's gotten booted from this forum (along with his "buddies") more times than we care to count.
Cato has to have many ready as he's gotten booted from this forum (along with his "buddies") more times than we care to count.

I'm sorry you're bad at counting, but your inability to do math isn't my fault.  Also, who are my "buddies"?

And it's hilarious because ALIK4 isn't my alt.  I actually laughed at that.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

I'm sorry you're bad at counting, but your inability to do math isn't my fault.  Also, who are my "buddies"?

I just said "more times than we car to count"...the verb "care" means something different than you think it means apparently.

I just said "more times than we car to count"...the verb "care" means something different than you think it means apparently.

Oh, so you're not bad at math, you're just lazy.

Also who are my "buddies" and why are you avoiding that question? 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

Oh, so you're not bad at math, you're just lazy.

Also who are my "buddies" and why are you avoiding that question? 

This is about the time of year that Cato got kicked out the second time.

And you know who your buddies are...why do you always ask people to tell you how to think?

And you know who your buddies are...why do you always ask people to tell you how to think?

He put "buddies" in quotations, implying that there was something special about them.  I'm curious. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

He put "buddies" in quotations, implying that there was something special about them.  I'm curious. 

He's a cryptic and wise fellow, I don't mind saying that much.

He may have been referring to the fact that you have many hidden identities to help you out for when you get booted or when your ideas are failing you merely log in as a buddy to help strengthen your mob support.

Perhaps he is recalling the odd circles you used to run in with the ever annyoing shadowchu back in the day. Trying to ruin good threads and cause trouble like a brat on the school yard.

@Aspect of Wolf-Thanks for the compliments!

@Cato-If you want to talk about the combo then please do so...if not than stop trying to hijack the thread.
So how come Alik is definitely my alt account, but aspectofwolf is above suspicion of being your alt?  Like, "cryptic and wise?"  Srsly?

I currently have no alts, and I find it hilarious that you think I do.  Shouldn't such a cryptic and wise man no better?  Almost as hilarious as saying that Ben and I ran around "back in the day" when he only started posting here at about the time rtr was released. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

Pot...meet kettle!

rstnme is discussing statistics of cards in packs, something which might actually improve one's limited game.  While this might not be on topic for the thread, I figured it deserved discussion, but that it wasn't worth making a completely new thread for.

Also, I'm going to agree with alphawolf that your posts are wise and cryptic, because they're obviously above my ability since I can't comprehend them.  I'm awarding you 100 catpoints for that. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Sign In to post comments