Gyre Sage

79 posts / 0 new
Last post
This guy is getting way too much credit. The decks he wants to be in are the worst decks for him. Lots of little mana dorks + big dudes to accelerate = 2 mana do-nothing 1/2.

People do realize he doesn't make mana on his own, right?
Isnt she a 1$ rare anyway?
I just see her popping up in every green list that has arbor elf in it, with claims of "lots of mana".

This isn't Joraga Treespeaker or Lotus Cobra, but I don't think people realize that.

If she produced mana = to her power, then we'd have something to talk about.

This is more a PSA that she isn't a mana dork. 
In other news, 1+1 is not equal to three.

AAAAAHHHHH STOP TORTURING ME O'BRIEN

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
The only place that Gyre Sage might see play is in a midrange deck that wants a beater and a middling mana accelerant.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

BUT GUIZE, GYRE SAGE IZ JUST LEIK QUORRIOON DRYAD! IT COSTS TWO AND GETS BIGGER AND EVERYTING!!! JUST LIKE FLORES SAIZ
EXCEPT ITS HARD TO ACTUALLY MAKE IT BIG

If you can't tell, I think it sucks. Bad players like the idea of a growing mana dork

(at)MrEnglish22

It should have either:

A)been a 0/1 for
B)produced mana = power
It should have either:

A)been a 0/1 for
B)produced mana = power

0/1 for 1 would have been on a level playable in Legacy, I'm pretty confident.

(at)MrEnglish22

Gyre Sage is fine. It just matters what deck you use it in. It's mediocre or bad in a lot of decks that people will make, but I think it's could be really good in the right deck. Say for example in G/W. For example, turn 2 gyre sage, turn 3 Loxodon Smiter, turn 4 restoration angel your loxodon smiter. Gyre sage becomes a 4/5 that can also tap for 3 green mana. If your deck easily evolves it, gyre sage is decent - good. If your deck doesn't, gyre sage is horrible. 

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Gyre Sage is fine. It just matters what deck you use it in. It's mediocre or bad in a lot of decks that people will make, but I think it's could be really good in the right deck. Say for example in G/W. For example, turn 2 gyre sage, turn 3 Loxodon Smiter, turn 4 restoration angel your loxodon smiter. Gyre sage becomes a 4/5 that can also tap for 3 green mana. If your deck easily evolves it, gyre sage is decent - good. If your deck doesn't, gyre sage is horrible. 

I would rather just cast Smiter T2 instead of the Sage. Or call of the conclave even.
Best case scenarios a good card does not make.

I really should just sig that.

(at)MrEnglish22

In your example, why not just go T1 dork, t2 smiter, etc? Giving up a turn of tempo for a creature that might get big if I have the perfect hand just doesn't seem worth it.

Really, though, this is just to stop people from including it as an "OMG MILLIONZ OF MANAZ" dork. I've already seen like 5-6 lists with it and claims that it will produce all the manas. ALL OF THEM.
I don't really call playing a 2 drop on turn 2, followed by a 3 drop turn 3, followed by a 4 drop turn 4 a best case scenario or a perfect hand. It's following a mana curve. I called gyre sage "decent to good in the right deck". That doesn't seem like an unreasonable description of the card. I was just trying to show a viewpoint somewhere between Jman's "It sucks. Bad players like" and "OMG MILLIONZ OF MANAZ".

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

In your example, why not just go T1 dork, t2 smiter, etc? Giving up a turn of tempo for a creature that might get big if I have the perfect hand just doesn't seem worth it.

Really, though, this is just to stop people from including it as an "OMG MILLIONZ OF MANAZ" dork. I've already seen like 5-6 lists with it and claims that it will produce all the manas. ALL OF THEM.

Has anyone HERE posted one of those lists?

Because idiots in deck help typically don't read threads in general, nor would they care, because they are, well, idiots. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:

Because idiots in deck help typically don't read threads in general, nor would they care, because they are, well, idiots. 

I am now going to build a deck and post it in this thread, just to irk you:

4 Experiment One
4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Gyre Sage
4 Drakewing Krasis
4 Loxodin Smiter
4 Restoration Angel
4 Simic Charm
4 Selesnya Charm
3 Thragtusk
1 Zynga, Simic Guildleader
4 Breeding Pool
4 Temple Garden
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Glacial Fortress
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Island 

(at)MrEnglish22

I am now going to build a deck and post it in this thread, just to irk you:

4 Experiment One
4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Gyre Sage
4 Drakewing Krasis
4 Loxodin Smiter
4 Restoration Angel
4 Simic Charm
4 Selesnya Charm
3 Thragtusk
1 Zynga, Simic Guildleader
4 Breeding Pool
4 Temple Garden
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Glacial Fortress
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Island 

You're mean.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
I posted one, but its super budget and can actually grow her.

You're mean.

I know. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if Gyre Sage might actually be worth playing.

What's wrong with me? 

(at)MrEnglish22

Please don't play it. Its actually horrible.
I will play every 1$ rare, because I'm cheap.

And yet you never built my super-awesome enchantment control deck. Lame.

(at)MrEnglish22

I probably did.

Oh God, I'm getting nasty flashbacks of when that guy who pretended he was me posted an enchantment control thread in the tournament center.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

Oh God, I'm getting nasty flashbacks of when that guy who pretended he was me posted an enchantment control thread in the tournament center.

You know, nobody believes it wasn't you...
/dagger 

(at)MrEnglish22

I probably did.

I don't think anyone other than me actually built that deck. It was pretty slow to play, and generally lost to a single Ray of Revelation. But boy-o, when it went the way you wanted it was HILARIOUS.

(at)MrEnglish22

I probably did.

I don't think anyone other than me actually built that deck. It was pretty slow to play, and generally lost to a single Ray of Revelation. But boy-o, when it went the way you wanted it was HILARIOUS.

Some guy at my LGS did and when the round would go to a draw he would try to convince the other people to conceed and let him win because he had control of the board and would have won eventually, loooool. 
Which standard was this in? Rtr or older? I know I've built the skeleton for some silly decks like that. Well designed, I haven't bought cards since...last week. But before that I haven't bought cards since zendikar.
Jman, that's exactly why I hate the bastard.  Nobody will ever believe that he wasn't me.  Even though he's banned he's still haunting me.

On enchantment control:  some guy did pretty well at the last standard fnm I went to with that deck.  Still, I don't value fnm results. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Don't lie to us Cato. We all know it was you.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

I'M NOT LYING TO YOU!

There is literally nothing I can do to convince you that I am not him (or her, for all I know).  I feel like I'm on trial for witchcraft here. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Witch!

I probably did.

Some guy at my LGS did and when the round would go to a draw he would try to convince the other people to conceed and let him win because he had control of the board and would have won eventually, loooool.

My games never went that long. Having multiple Curses on board usually meant I had him on a solid clock. After playing the deck for the first week and never getting concessions in game 1, the second week had a lot more concessions. 
Though the "you should give me the win" line is always funny.

Which standard was this in? Rtr or older? I know I've built the skeleton for some silly decks like that. Well designed, I haven't bought cards since...last week. But before that I haven't bought cards since zendikar.

It was in RtR
And on the topic of buying cards, bought two boxes this weekend. After drafting them, I'm convinced Boros is only good if you're the only one drafting the deck. And the Skyjek is good.

I'M NOT LYING TO YOU!

There is literally nothing I can do to convince you that I am not him (or her, for all I know). I feel like I'm on trial for witchcraft here.

I halfway believe you, but I will always and forever have doubts. Which means the terrorists felus won. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I think most people are building around Gyre Sage wrong. I think it's about 2.0 - 2.5 in constructed (end result being -0.5). Really though, It's a terrible card for ramp, but I think it has some uses, possibly in combos or midrange. I mean getting it to even just a 9/10 can be done with two other unplayable cards (Corpsejack and hunger of the howlpack). You could then tap it for 20 mana with burst of strength the following turn and mindgrind for 22.

All in all though, I don't think that it synergizes well with other evolve cards. Going blue with it seems to be a terrible idea. It really needs black or white to do anything really from what I can tell. 
I think most people are building around Gyre Sage wrong. I think it's about 2.0 - 2.5 in constructed (end result being -0.5). Really though, It's a terrible card for ramp, but I think it has some uses, possibly in combos or midrange. I mean getting it to even just a 9/10 can be done with two other unplayable cards (Corpsejack and hunger of the howlpack). You could then tap it for 20 mana with burst of strength the following turn and mindgrind for 22.

All in all though, I don't think that it synergizes well with other evolve cards. Going blue with it seems to be a terrible idea. It really needs black or white to do anything really from what I can tell. 

Its a 2 mana 1/2 with Evolve and a useless ability, because green has no x spells.
If you want to really play Gyre Sage, you probably want Red for Clan Defiance.

(at)MrEnglish22

Or mindgrind. And definitely not useless, just largely irrelevent.

Have fun playing 3 colors with a bunch of creatures?

(at)MrEnglish22

I'M NOT LYING TO YOU!

There is literally nothing I can do to convince you that I am not him (or her, for all I know).  I feel like I'm on trial for witchcraft here. 

Ladies and gentlemen, sharpen your pitchforks.
Photobucket

Have fun playing 3 colors with a bunch of creatures?

Aren't most decks doing this anyways?
Ok, confession time:  I'm not even catowner.  I lurked these forums for a few weeks, saw some crazy stuff go down, then figured I'd make an account about a week after catowner got banned.  I thought this name would be funny.  Anyways, then felis, who actually IS catowner, revealed that he actually was catowner, and thus the dichotomy of the cats began.  It was fun while it lasted, but it's over now.  There, fine, I said it.  Now will people start believing me when I tell them I'm not felis?

I don't even own a cat. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
A likely story /sarcasm.
A likely story /sarcasm.

This. Nice try cato

(at)MrEnglish22

This is hilarious.  When I made this account, I was worried that nobody would believe that I was catowner, and throughout the felis wars I was worried that people would figure out that I really wasn't.  I should have had more faith.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote: